• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Here is the $64,000 question. As someone who may or may not work in the industry, I understand best practice is to not tell everybody and their mother that you have one. How are the holders of said TS (especially SCI) brandishing proof to the MSP? Most, if not all DoD entities are not going to give you a letter stating you have one. And if you are a federal contractor, your company's security officer shouldn't be providing that letter either.

Can I assume MSP is taking your word for it? I doubt it. You can provide a CAC for ID, but that doesn't denote a clearance.Certain installation badges you can only get with a clearance, but then, most of those are FOUO only.

I'd be interested to hear how that is being done, since I may or may not be in the pipe for this.

Bingo. MSP knows most agencies will not provide it. And therefore deny you because you can't provide proof.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I saw something about the process changing for obtaining a permit in MD. They were going to move the hearing to before the training and fingerprinting requirement so that you don't go through all that without knowing that you can get it. Did this pass and is it in affect?

Thanks!

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    I saw something about the process changing for obtaining a permit in MD. They were going to move the hearing to before the training and fingerprinting requirement so that you don't go through all that without knowing that you can get it. Did this pass and is it in affect?

Thanks!

That bill got torpedoed in the senate and didn't make it in before sine die. Sucks, it was such a 'common sense' bill, to use a phrase that dems love.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Not surprised about the DC rejection. Did you apply for a MD Wear and Carry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, because I avoid MD as much as possible and spend much more time in VA. If MD was shall issue, and I could be sure that I wasn't wasting my money, It'd be different. I don't even shop in DC. It's home and work, that's all.

TrappRd

May 26, 2012
    Used OPM Breach info + have TS/SCI + what you are exposed to on a daily basis = Received PERMIT early December..
    What is amazing, sent in Paperwork Mid September, Interview early November.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Used OPM Breach info + have TS/SCI + what you are exposed to on a daily basis = Received PERMIT early December..

Outstanding! Carry any day you can, practice more than you think you need. IE: rain, snow, after a jog.

I wonder if the timeframes are still similar/same a year later...

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

How did you establish your clearance to MPD's liking? Your SSO was willing to write a letter??? I feel it’s poor form to even ask on accounts of both opsec and keeping politics out of the workplace.

Last edited:

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    How did you establish your clearance to MPD's liking? Your SSO was willing to write a letter??? I feel it’s poor form to even ask on accounts of both opsec and keeping politics out of the workplace.

OPSEC is relative as it's no worse than putting it on the resume which is U per pre-pub and LESS eyes are going to see it that an online job finder. The police are also officials which makes it less of a concern.

As for keeping POLITICS out of the workplace... i got nothing. Are you're saying carrying a firearm for protection is a political movement?? I changed companies a while back because my old company was anti 2A so much it was even anti-firearm (even hunting). Simply put, this company's values didn't align w/ mine anymore and i couldn't represent them w/ such apposing views of 2A.

Combine that with the REQUEST from the new company to submit an application for MD CCW and I realized that perhaps they have more knowledge of what cleared people go thru (your job/experience may differ).

Hats off to the fine men/women of the armed guard and cleared personal. Your lives are not what the average citizen thinks of when they hear "my day was rough".

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I asked three people in my security change of command to answer the simple question - "Can I disclose my clearance level to the MSP?"

I can't even get them to answer. I can't imagine asking for a letter.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Several contractors in the Central MD area seem to have helpful SSOs and have issued letters. Those unfortunate to be GS or GG employees seem to have a tougher time finding someone willing to put the verification in writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom