MD Residents at Delaware Ranges with Semi-Automatics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    The original bill proposed by the DE legislature used the Maryland banned firearms list and the Maryland features that define a copycat assault rifle [copycat had to have TWO features].

Then, they amended the bill. Kept the Maryland banned firearms list, but substituted the Connecticut features that define a copycat assault rifle [copycat had to have only ONE feature].

THEN, they passed the bill ...

Feb 28, 2013
    The original bill proposed by the DE legislature used the Maryland banned firearms list and the Maryland features that define a copycat assault rifle [copycat had to have TWO features].

Then, they amended the bill. Kept the Maryland banned firearms list, but substituted the Connecticut features that define a copycat assault rifle [copycat had to have only ONE feature].

THEN, they passed the bill ...
    Was gonna ask about heavy barrel ARs but this Connetticutt shit seem to took care of that :sad20:

Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    FYI:

DE Governor Carney signed 6 gun bills yesterday, including HB 450 AWB.

When I go shooting in Maine in the fall - I will be driving thru PA, NY [NOT the city], VT, NH, and finally ME.

NOT GOING TO DEAL WITH ANY POSSIBLE SHIT IN DE !!!

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Was gonna ask about heavy barrel ARs but this Connetticutt shit seem to took care of that :sad20:
    It does say Colt HBAR is not an AW. Will DE extend that like MSP does to include all HBARs?

Who knows. One could hope then match rifles would be OK to come in.

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    It does say Colt HBAR is not an AW. Will DE extend that like MSP does to include all HBARs?

Who knows. One could hope then match rifles would be OK to come in.
    It already has! If the AR of any type or any other semi-automatic rifle has a detachable magazine. It is banned from future sales or being brought into DE for any reason.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It already has! If the AR of any type or any other semi-automatic rifle has a detachable magazine. It is banned from future sales or being brought into DE for any reason.
    They can have it both ways? The law specifically exempts it, and anther section specifically includes it.

How does that work?

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Under the definition of an AW:

"Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle"

So, are my three AR-15 based (not Colt) rifles, each with a SS match barrel with a muzzle diameter of ~.900" still an AW and subject to the transport limitations? Do these inconsistencies need to go to court to be ironed out? Who in the state of DE can provide answers???

Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    HB 450 was hastily written and probably not even read by most of the legislators.

There are parts of the law that are extremely ambiguous at best. Such as it allows Delaware owners to keep their assault weapons if they can prove they own them prior to the signing of the law. However the law restricts transport of the weapons ONLY to specific locations in the state. It also prohibits transport of assault weapons into the state.

So, a gun owner who legally possesses an assault weapon and takes it out of state for a shooting match, is he violating the law by bringing it back into the state? Because he transported it out of state and back into the state to a location NOT SPECIFIED in the law.

Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    Here is another discrepancy:

While the Colt AR-15 Sporter HBAR does not meet the definition of assault long rifle in HB 450, it's features can meet the definition of a copycat weapon which is banned.

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    What are you guys not getting?
    Per Bridgville Rifle and Pistol Club: NO Semi Automatic Rifles that take a detachable magazine is to be sold in DE. DE detachable magazine fed rifles must stay in Delaware! If they leave they can not come back!
    This means no out state detachable magazine rifles!
    No Remington 7400, no HBAR’s, no Winchester model of 1907.

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    What are you guys not getting?
    Per Bridgville Rifle and Pistol Club: NO Semi Automatic Rifles that take a detachable magazine is to be sold in DE. DE detachable magazine fed rifles must stay in Delaware! If they leave they can not come back!
    This means no out state detachable magazine rifles!
    No Remington 7400, no HBAR’s, no Winchester model of 1907, no 10/22’s.
    But the law says Colt Sporter HBAR is NOT an AW.

I don't take my legal advice from sporting clubs?

This may very well get chewed up in court pretty quickly. Let's hope.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    2 weeks ago today I took my Stag Arms HBAR (purchased in MD at an IP shop as a MD resident in 2018) to PA to a friend's property, shot a couple of hundred rounds and brought it home to DE the next day.

The way it looks that would now be illegal, at least the bringing it home part.:confused:

Time for another donation to DSSA. This needs to get to court quickly!

Surf

Jun 30, 2022
    OC
    Well I guess somebody (MAC) thinks their HBAR doesn’t have a detachable magazine! That thing must be something special!
    DE has decided that any semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine is the same as any other black rifle.

Last edited:

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Well I guess somebody (MAC) thinks their HBAR doesn’t have a detachable magazine! That thing must be something special!
    DE has decided that any semi automatic rifle with a detachable magazine is the same as any other black rifle.
    Even if it is a 100 year old wood stocked .22 with a detachable magazine.
    I think the ignore button will work nicely here for your ninth MDS post. Go somewhere else and troll.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    DE’s bill prospectively bans all semiautomatic centerfire rifles that accept detachable magazines. It bans any such rifle with a “grip.”

It grandfathers possession whenever the bill becomes effective. Has exceptions.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The courts should be solving this soon.
    Has anyone filed with the courts to stop it yet? Or have one ready when it is signed.

(Not you Doc... just leveraging your line of thinking)

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Good grief - what about the Exceptions?????
    Pages 8 &9, Lines 204 to 236.

Also, NOWHERE that I could find states anything other than "Centerfire" for "long guns" i.e. rifles. Rimfire weapons are NOT included as AW long guns, but are for pistols. Hence, my 10/22 is legal.

There seem to be a lot of what I can only think of as "hype" when this bill is discussed. Again, I'm NOT a lawyer, sections of this law as written seem to be contradictory, or at least confusing, and we need expert/legal clarification.

Feb 28, 2013
    Aint no way this shit will pass muster now with Heller. Even the ones with the stupid lookin spaghetti stocks are banned with this wording because of detachable mags

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom