• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    One more "hypothetical" like this and there will be consequences.

I am leaving this up for now just to make it clear to the membership that discussions of circumventing the law, no matter how ill-informed in one case or how hypothetical in another, will not be tolerated.

We have a very low threshold for this sort of nonsense and it till not be tolerated.

Clear enough?

JimmyG12205

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 26, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    One more "hypothetical" like this and there will be consequences.

I am leaving this up for now just to make it clear to the membership that discussions of circumventing the law, no matter how ill-informed in one case or how hypothetical in another, will not be tolerated.

We have a very low threshold for this sort of nonsense and it till not be tolerated.

Clear enough?

Here's the deal > I know an old fart like me that wouldn't know how to turn a computer on and asked me to check it out for her. She's in her 90's, frail and doesn't get out much and was looking for an easy way to get rid of it. The pistol belonged to her late husband.

I'll pass the valuable information on to her and let her know that "easy" might get her moved into a retirement home she won't like!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It was a two part question:

When was the date of the regulation...

I recall selling 3 hand guns in mid 80's and there was no regulation...

Hypothetical situation:
    Two MD residents want to do a transaction, gun is from 60's and receipt/bill of sale will have a date of 1975..

If the bill of sale that is completed on the day of purchase is backdated to 1975, then that is illegal. Now if the current owner is turning over the original bill of sale from when he/she originally purchased the weapon, that is a different story because it would show authenticity as to the age of the weapon among other things due to collector value.

Just wondering since this is a "Hypothetical situation"
    old gun, same state residents, receipt "dated" earlier than 1980....
    No BS/paperwork involved...

That within itself is illegal and will land you in jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail with same day or next day delivery. All bills of sale must show the correct date of when the sale takes place. By MD law you are REQUIRED to do the transfer at an FFL of your choosing or a local MSP barracks, you can not use a county police or city/town police station to do the transfer. The only police agency in MD authorized to do firearm transfers is MSP.

>>>> "Hypothetical situation" <<<<

Hypothetical situation or not, we as members of the MDShooters community, do not condone breaking the law, nor will we offer advice/help somebody break the law in order to circumvent state/local and/or federal laws. You have been informed of this earlier in the thread, yet saying "hypothetical situation" does not exempt you from the Admins/Moderators from suspending/banning you from the forum and/or calling the authorities for you wanting to gain information on how to break the law. On the off chance that you are a n00b that doesn't know any better, I apologize for ripping into you so harshly. But if you are not a n00b you deserve whatever action the Admins/Mods take against you.

JimmyG12205

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 26, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    If the bill of sale that is completed on the day of purchase is backdated to 1975, then that is illegal. Now if the current owner is turning over the original bill of sale from when he/she originally purchased the weapon, that is a different story because it would show authenticity as to the age of the weapon among other things due to collector value.

That within itself is illegal and will land you in jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail with same day or next day delivery. All bills of sale must show the correct date of when the sale takes place. By MD law you are REQUIRED to do the transfer at an FFL of your choosing or a local MSP barracks, you can not use a county police or city/town police station to do the transfer. The only police agency in MD authorized to do firearm transfers is MSP.

Hypothetical situation or not, we as members of the MDShooters community, do not condone breaking the law, nor will we offer advice/help somebody break the law in order to circumvent state/local and/or federal laws. You have been informed of this earlier in the thread, yet saying "hypothetical situation" does not exempt you from the Admins/Moderators from suspending/banning you from the forum and/or calling the authorities for you wanting to gain information on how to break the law. On the off chance that you are a n00b that doesn't know any better, I apologize for ripping into you so harshly. But if you are not a n00b you deserve whatever action the Admins/Mods take against you.

Just trying to get information for an old lady that didn't want to have to go through the trouble of trying to leave her house since it's difficult for her to do.
    I get it, it's not a wise idea to try and get around a legal matter. I will pass it on to her..

Asked and answered, The End...

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md
    When I left MD in '92 I believe FTF handgun sales were still legal. When I came back here in 2007 you had to go through a dealer or the MSP. I'm thinking they changed the law sometime in the mid 90's.

Also, at some point, face to face was legal except at a gun show. Later they made it require ffl or msp. I'm not sure of either date.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Just trying to get information for an old lady that didn't want to have to go through the trouble of trying to leave her house since it's difficult for her to do.
    I get it, it's not a wise idea to try and get around a legal matter. I will pass it on to her..

Asked and answered, The End...

She may be able to give someone power of attorney to handle the xfer for her. You may want to check with the MSP to see if this is allowed. Power of attorney forms are readily available on the net and only need notarized.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Originally Posted by JimmyG12205 View Post
    It was a two part question:

When was the date of the regulation...

I recall selling 3 hand guns in mid 80's and there was no regulation...

Hypothetical situation:
    Two MD residents want to do a transaction, gun is from 60's and receipt/bill of sale will have a date of 1975..

Bye

Stealthy

Jun 2, 2012
    Bmore
    I'm almost positive that if say.. Your father dies, and ou inherit his guns, you don't have to do any formal transfer. I would assume it works the same way for a husband.... I'm pretty confident that's how it works doe everything that isn't class 3

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Three different years come to mind, with regard to the FTF (Face-to-Face) transfers of 'regulated arms' being eliminated.
    1994, 1996 and 2003.
    I'm not sure of which year is correct. (I've not had any private transfers in over 20 years!)

The term 'regulated' includes rifles/pistols/revolvers/shotguns that are on "The List".

To the OP:
    To keep you (or the actual owner of the arms being discussed) out of the "Graybar Hotel", get the facts before making a transfer of a 'regulated arm'.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I'm almost positive that if say.. Your father dies, and ou inherit his guns, you don't have to do any formal transfer. I would assume it works the same way for a husband.... I'm pretty confident that's how it works doe everything that isn't class 3

You would be positively wrong.
    Still need to transfer to comply with the law.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Three different years come to mind, with regard to the FTF (Face-to-Face) transfers of 'regulated arms' being eliminated.
    1994, 1996 and 2003.
    I'm not sure of which year is correct. (I've not had any private transfers in over 20 years!)

The term 'regulated' includes rifles/pistols/revolvers/shotguns that are on "The List".

To the OP:
    To keep you (or the actual owner of the arms being discussed) out of the "Graybar Hotel", get the facts before making a transfer of a 'regulated arm'.

Not 2003. I moved here in '97 and I am sure the law was in place by then.

2003 was when the integral lock law came into effect.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    The Handgun Roster requirement doesn't affect handguns made before Jan. 1, 1985. Of course it still has to be transferred as a "regulated firearm", but it doesn't have to be on the list IF IT WAS MANUFACTURED BEFORE 1985.

Clarified it for ya'.

We are cutting you a lot of slack by the way. I'm assuming you don't really intend to be a felon. We do not tolerate illegal activity around here, not even the appearance of illegal activity.

Adda' boy, good job.:thumbsup:

I am 90% sure it was 1996 when the law changed.

Correct. ^^^

That is 100% the most incorrect thing posted on this forum in 7 1/2 years.

That will land you in a small cell with a large man as a special friend in a hurry.

Glad you and zoo stepped in here on this. An old 90yo lady or not, trip to local FFL or MSP Barracks is warranted.

Hypotheticals:lol2::lol2::lol2: Oh, by the way Doc, I got this friend that has some funky lookin' warts on his................:D

o4twinpeaks

Dec 17, 2011
    did a person to person sale late 90's and used belair msp. Easy quick and legal. Just don't bring the gun case to the door. :sad20:

ked0607

Aug 25, 2012
    PG CO
    What paperwork if any do you need to take to the MSP barracks or the FFL dealer that handles the transfer for you? Do you need the original receipt or any registration information?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What paperwork if any do you need to take to the MSP barracks or the FFL dealer that handles the transfer for you? Do you need the original receipt or any registration information?

No original receipt or anything is needed. Just bring valid ID for both parties and leave the gun in the trunk when going in. You will need a check or money order for the ten bucks, they don't take cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom