• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Peoples ideas about what happens in court are just not realistic. Nobody has ever said “it would have been a perfect self defense shooting except for that…”
    Magazine
    Trigger
    Ammo
    Gun

Never happens.
    I wonder what Mr. one eye fishing and other looking for bait has to say about this?

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    ... we may even see the absurd 10-round sale/transfer statute fall to Bruen sooner than later...

As soon as they are legal in MD for sale again I'm perfectly happy to go with my SIG and CZ PCR for casual clothes CCW when I have an untucked shirt. However, this is MD, people don't understand guns to begin with, and I want to stack the deck as much in my favor as I can since a potential prosecutor or plaintiff attorney should the criminal or their family sue me will certainly try to stack it against me.

Peoples ideas about what happens in court are just not realistic. Nobody has ever said “it would have been a perfect self defense shooting except for that…”
    Magazine
    Trigger
    Ammo
    Gun

Never happens.
    Not remotely what I think would happen. If the DA thinks it is a "perfect self defense shooting" they won't charge you, but this is MD.

Maybe it is my age. I remember 25 years ago (mid to late 1990s), there were these two brothers in Baltimore. They owned a business that kept getting broken into. They stayed there over night to catch the burglars. One of the burglars had a gun (a shotgun that they previously stole from the business if memory serves). One of the brothers shot that burglar in self defense. The brothers were charged. It was discussed on the Ron Smith show nearly daily, though it was long enough ago I don't remember the outcome.

I don't trust that every (or even most) jurisdictions in MD won't go out of their way to charge you with a crime even when it is a clear case of self defense and let the courts sort it out. They don't like self defense even when it is in your home or business. How much less will they like it when a CCW holder is involved in a self defense shooting, especially now after Bruen? Once they get you in court, they will pull everything they can to try to paint you as a thug and troublemaker. 30 years ago, a buddy and I were jumped by 5 guys, we were the victims who did nothing to instigate the attack (they didn't like that my buddy was black and the girl he was with was white), and the defense lawyer went out of his way to paint us as the thugs (they had juvenile records, but were over 18 so it was inadmissible, we were squeeky clean, and yet the judge seemed to believe their lawyer). I've seen how a good lawyer can take no real information (I don't know what he actually said since we weren't allowed in the courtroom other than to testify, I only know my parents said that the lawyers really painted us as real criminals and lowlifes), and twist it to make even an Eagle Scout look like a criminal. I don't want to give them unnecessary ammunition.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As soon as they are legal in MD for sale again I'm perfectly happy to go with my SIG and CZ PCR for casual clothes CCW when I have an untucked shirt. However, this is MD, people don't understand guns to begin with, and I want to stack the deck as much in my favor as I can since a potential prosecutor or plaintiff attorney should the criminal or their family sue me will certainly try to stack it against me.

Not remotely what I think would happen. If the DA thinks it is a "perfect self defense shooting" they won't charge you, but this is MD.

Maybe it is my age. I remember 25 years ago (mid to late 1990s), there were these two brothers in Baltimore. They owned a business that kept getting broken into. They stayed there over night to catch the burglars. One of the burglars had a gun (a shotgun that they previously stole from the business if memory serves). One of the brothers shot that burglar in self defense. The brothers were charged. It was discussed on the Ron Smith show nearly daily, though it was long enough ago I don't remember the outcome.
    I think this was the case where they set up a shotgun as a trap. Meaning "string tied to trigger and it pulls when the door is opened" type trap and it killed the burglar. They were charged because you cannot set a deadly trap. The brother were like on a different floor when it happened.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think this was the case where they set up a shotgun as a trap. Meaning "string tied to trigger and it pulls when the door is opened" type trap and it killed the burglar. They were charged because you cannot set a deadly trap. The brother were like on a different floor when it happened.
    Yep.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia

I don't remember a trap (though it was between 25 and 30 years ago so memory can be fuzzy). I seem to recall something along the lines of "they laid in wait" for the criminals to return. I do remember it being talked about for quite some time on the Ron Smith Show.

Anyway, I don't want to further hyjack the CCW purchase thread. I don't trust that MD prosecutors in the more anti-gun jurisdictions won't charge you even in a good shoot. If they do, they'll try to use everything they can (no matter how innocent) to try to portray you as the bad guy. So, I personally don't feel comfortable using >10 round mags in MD until the law changes (or the courts make existing law moot). I'm not advocating anyone else make a decision one way or the other on this, as all things CCW, it for each person to decide what they want to do.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, I personally don't feel comfortable using >10 round mags in MD until the law changes (or the courts make existing law moot).
    You do you, of course. But you're giving oxygen to the very thing you're worried about. That said, I will provide (good!) pizza and beer money if you can produce even one example of a legal capacity mag playing the deciding (or even an important) role in convicting a single person who defended themselves with a pistol in Maryland. This offer is permanent, because you will spend years looking for such an example and not finding one.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    You do you, of course. But you're giving oxygen to the very thing you're worried about. That said, I will provide (good!) pizza and beer money if you can produce even one example of a legal capacity mag playing the deciding (or even an important) role in convicting a single person who defended themselves with a pistol in Maryland. This offer is permanent, because you will spend years looking for such an example and not finding one.

I’ll go further and state that you would be hard pressed to find any criminal charged with a violent crime, where a firearms was used, AND also charged in some way for possession of a magazine greater than 10 rounds.

reccitron

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    After reading this thread, I think you all have convinced me into getting a P365 Nitron Micro-Compact. Do you all have an IWB holster you recommend? I currently have a Beretta Storm sub-compact and the plastic clip of the IWB holster seems to print even though the gun itself doesn't.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    After reading this thread, I think you all have convinced me into getting a P365 Nitron Micro-Compact. Do you all have an IWB holster you recommend? I currently have a Beretta Storm sub-compact and the plastic clip of the IWB holster seems to print even though the gun itself doesn't.
    Vedder is usually the go to.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Same difference. If I decide to buy a revolver I will probably get the HQL...Hopfully they will be going away soon anyway.
    My Favorite Revolver

1658082582092.png

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I see you make a decision of sorts.

As I am sure was mentioned however. DO consider trying out various options before purchase. nothing pro or con on the P354 Nitro Micro-Compact, just saying. Some weapons fit one person where on others it is a tight pair of shoes or a loose steering Old Ford Truck, for another.

Last edited:

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia

I have several brands of the hybrid holsters. Generally I like this style, and I think any of the more reputable brands would do well for you. I do like to have the J-hook for concealment for when I tuck, it may not work as well with a bigger or heavier gun, but with anything 20ish ounces or less, they work well. If you don't like the pancake style, there are several (both hybrids and more traditional leather) where the clip is offset from the body of the gun so it doesn't add to the width.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I already have the P365X & XL. Also an LCPII for the pocket/ankle. I will be picking up an SAS slide for the X. I'm not target shooting so I don't need sights or a red dot. I hope I never get into a situation where I have to pull a firearm on a person.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Actually, yes I am.

I don't really need to, I've carried out of state on a non-resident UT permit for years and have many options, but 1) it is an excuse to buy a gun (and it has been 2 or 3 years since my last purchase), 2) I've wanted to replace some of my carry guns for a few years but only being a part-time/out of state carrier it hasn't been a priority, and 3) some of what worked on vacation or shopping for a few hours or a few days may not work as an every day carry option.

For the past 5 or 6 years, I've liked to err on the capacity/capability side of the comfort/concealability vs. capacity/capability argument. I often would carry Glock 19 sized guns (I don't have one, but everyone knows them, so good for comparison) like my SIG P229 or CZ PCR and P01. Well, even though standard sized mags are legal to own and possess in MD, I'm going to limit myself to 10 rounds in MD. MD doesn't like self defense, it had to be forced to go shall-issue, MD prosecutors will try every angle to try and convict you if they can, and most Marylanders don't understand the you can own them but not buy them here mag laws, so I don't want to disadvantage myself in front of a jury. So, if I'm only carrying the 12-15 round mags (depending on the gun) when out of state, and limiting myself to 10 rounds here, I want a lighter gun and easier concealment, so my favorite guns are out.

I have a 1st gen S&W M&P40c (Glock 26/27 sized) in .40S&W that may well become my primary carry (when in casual clothing), but I like IWB (and tuckable IWB when I can't wear an untucked shirt). It is a little wide (but doable) for IWB, but definitely too wide for discrete tucked IWB. I have two narrower 9mm guns, a SIG P290 that I love, and a Kel Tec Pf9 that I don't. Both are a bit low on capacity (unless it is a pocketable gun, or a revolver, I'd prefer 10 rounds), the SIG is a bit heavy for capacity, and I just don't like the Kel Tec. I've thought about trading them for years for a SIG P365 or similar but it wasn't a priority. So, my first purchase is likely a SIG P365, S&W Shield Plus, or Glock 43X.

My second purchase will likely be a 3" Taurus 856 Defender. I think a 3" .357mag is the sweet spot for velocity, sight radius, and concealment. I prefer 6 rounds over the 5 of a J-frame. I have a 3" Colt King Cobra (new version). I have a S&W 65LS. I love them. But, if there is a defensive shoot, the gun used will likely be confiscated. I occasionally carry the Colt on my UT permit, but now that we'll be able to carry daily, I don't want to push my luck. I have a 3" Rossi 461, but I hate it and I've had trouble with my 2" Rossi and don't trust either one. The Taurus is .38 only, but I usually carry .38+P for self defense. It has night sights, and my Taurus 856UL has served me well.

My Ruger LCP will work well for carrying when I need something very small. However, it isn't fun to shoot, .380 ammo has never been cheap, and .380 is just barely adequate for self defense. The last likely addition will be a Kahr PM9. While it is bigger, it is small enough for the same role, and it is in 9mm (and it doesn't hurt that I've wanted one since it came out).

I'll be partly financing this through the sale of my CZ P01, Kel Tec PF9, both my 2" and 3" Rossi 461, S&W 442 and Taurus 85CH. There is a slim chance I'll sell the P290 to help as well, but I really do love that gun. After I buy the Kahr, if it works as well in "deep cover" as my LCP, then I may also sell the LCP at that point (so it may not finance the Kahr, but it will pay for ammo for the Kahr :D ).

TL/DR:
    Now that I will be able to carry nearly everyday, I may update my carry guns with:
    -SIG P365, S&W Shield Plus or Glock 43X (1st, almost immediately)
    -3" Taurus 856 Defender (within the next 6mo to a year)
    -Kahr PM9 (soon)
    I have both a G43X MOS and the 3” Taurus 856 Defender. Both are nice. You’re more then welcome to try them anytime you want, just feed them.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I have both a G43X MOS and the 3” Taurus 856 Defender. Both are nice. You’re more then welcome to try them anytime you want, just feed them.
    That is a generous offer.

I probably have a good idea how the 856 shoots. Mine is 2" and aluminum, so it isn't as comfortable, but I'm sure I have an idea for the trigger. With my almost 30 year old Taurus 85 (I bought it used, I haven't had it that long) I have an idea what the trigger may become in the future. And with the 3" Rossi and Colt, I have an idea of how a wheelgun this size will handle recoil. So, while that would be fun to try out, and I definitely want to check out the sights, if time is limited, I'd want to spend more time with the Glock. With the three I'm considering in that category, by spec they are incredibly close, so it will likely come down to what fits my hand and feels the best. So, I definitely would love to get some trigger time behind each if I can before I buy.

I am a teacher, but I teach summer school so I'm not totally off. I can make time to do Thursday evenings or weekends pretty easily though.

Feb 28, 2013

I don't trust that every (or even most) jurisdictions in MD won't go out of their way to charge you with a crime even when it is a clear case of self defense and let the courts sort it out. They don't like self defense even when it is in your home or business. How much less will they like it when a CCW holder is involved in a self defense shooting, especially now after Bruen? Once they get you in court, they will pull everything they can to try to paint you as a thug and troublemaker. 30 years ago, a buddy and I were jumped by 5 guys, we were the victims who did nothing to instigate the attack (they didn't like that my buddy was black and the girl he was with was white), and the defense lawyer went out of his way to paint us as the thugs (they had juvenile records, but were over 18 so it was inadmissible, we were squeeky clean, and yet the judge seemed to believe their lawyer). I've seen how a good lawyer can take no real information (I don't know what he actually said since we weren't allowed in the courtroom other than to testify, I only know my parents said that the lawyers really painted us as real criminals and lowlifes), and twist it to make even an Eagle Scout look like a criminal. I don't want to give them unnecessary ammunition.

I remember that story. The crab wrap known as the Baltimore Sun was all over it

According to them it was a concrete company and they reported one of the brothers shot one of the burglars in the back

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since when is that a reason for not buying a gun. There’s only reasons to buy a gun , never a reason not to.
    The reason for not presently buying are two fold :

1. Need to clear up other financial obligations , before spending the $$ for Three W&C classes , and 3 sets of Permits for two jurisdictions ( myself , Mrs Biggfoot , and Littlefoot44 ) .

2 . Hairy eyeball from Mrs Biggfoot , along the lines of " I though you agreed to not buy any more for 12 months ? " .

* I did inform Littlefoot44 she will be paying for her practice ammo . But she's already equipped with 2.5in M66-4 , and Shield 1.0 .

But I already have all the sub catagories covered , usually with multiples .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom