• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Castle Doctrine is Maryland, does not cover only your "residence", it also covers anywhere you stay temporarily, such is if you were on a trip in Maryland, and someone breaks into your hotel room while you were on a overnight hunting trip per se.

As for the other sentence, you need to feel comfortable what goes on at her place.

People are strange and they can do stranger things, than what you could ever dream up.

What are the laws regarding me storing the shotgun at her place, provided it has a Maryland DOJ approved internal lock?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What are the laws regarding me storing the shotgun at her place, provided it has a Maryland DOJ approved internal lock?

She must not be a prohibited person, since it's her place.

The easiest way to find out, is for her to buy her own shotgun.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    She must not be a prohibited person, since it's her place.

The easiest way to find out, is for her to buy her own shotgun.

I know she has a regular relationship with a therapist, but I'm not certain about anything else. Certainly no legal issues. Plus, she's a lawyer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK, MD does not require the registration of long guns, only handguns.

You are incorrect.

FSA 2013 requires that people who establish MD residency after 9/30/2013 register any regulated firearm.

This includes all handguns and any formerly regulated long gun (that are now banned) that the person legally purchased prior to 10/1/2013.

If you were a Maryland resident prior to 10/1/2013, you do not have register any firearm that was purchased prior to your being an MD resident. Any regulated firearm (including long guns) that was purchased by an MD residence is already registered.

BTW, you purchased a formerly regulated, now banned, long gun while not an MD resident, you cannot bring that long gun into the state at all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Maryland only requires registration of handguns/scary long guns for new residents.

Nope.

Every handgun since the 1960s and regulated long guns from 1994 through 2013 sold in Maryland IS registered.

When you sign the Form 77, you "voluntarily" register the firearm.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    You are incorrect.

FSA 2013 requires that people who establish MD residency after 9/30/2013 register any regulated firearm.

This includes all handguns and any formerly regulated long gun (that are now banned) that the person legally purchased prior to 10/1/2013.

If you were a Maryland resident prior to 10/1/2013, you do not have register any firearm that was purchased prior to your being an MD resident. Any regulated firearm (including long guns) that was purchased by an MD residence is already registered.

BTW, you purchased a formerly regulated, now banned, long gun while not an MD resident, you cannot bring that long gun into the state at all.

Okay, but I'm talking about an ordinary pump shotgun, not an AR15.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    Nope.

Every handgun since the 1960s and regulated long guns from 1994 through 2013 sold in Maryland IS registered.

When you sign the Form 77, you "voluntarily" register the firearm.

I have bought AR15s and don't remember signing a Form 77. What does this form look like?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have bought AR15s and don't remember signing a Form 77. What does this form look like?

If it was a a heavy barrel model (unregulated) then you would not have. If it was a standard AR15, you would have.

You would remember filling out the 77r, it was a multi page signed-in-triplicate and you would have had to wait 7 days to pick it up.

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    No, my AR15 was the heavy barrel version. It was essentially cash and carry. But if I change out the barrel to USGI profile, 16", will I have to register it?

Frostburg

Jan 1, 2015
    How do I determine/prove the date of purchase? I misplaced the bill of sale. Is there a serial number search engine online?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MD requires registration of regulated firearms, which could be handguns or "assault rifles" owned before 2013.

Point being, MD requires you to register if you are a resident regardless of location of the guns (within 90 days of becoming a resident).

I think it would be weird if D.C. did not have similar requirements.

DC only requires a firearm to be registered once it is brought into the city. There is absolutely no requirement to register a firearm with MPD that will not be in the District.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom