• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I understand the intent but that's pretty invasive. If you don't have a criminal background to include domestic violence I don't see why they would ask your wife that.

Ask away. Doesn't bother me. Same questions where given to my wife when I went for my clearance.

pherward

Oct 17, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    My thoughts: based on the fact that they are asking more than "does so and so work there and for how long?", I tend to think they are asking the additional questions in order to embarrass applicants in front of their employers, since they know that will lead to additional questions in the event that the boss is not aware of the application pre-interview.

Frankly, it is not germane to my employment and it not a subject that my boss should even need to be made aware of; I will now have to prep my wife and my boss for being questioned...

I think you are exactly right. I received a call from my boss and she was like, "I got a call from MSP, I did not know you wanted a carry permit, what is your reasoning for this?"

It was just an awkward conversation to have with my boss. I should not have to explain my reasoning to her other than it is my 2A Right.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    This question seems really invasive - there are many, many reasons to see a psychiatrist, but I suspect that answering "yes" might hurt someones chances for approval. My medical history is PRIVATE!

not when you sign the last sheet (last i recall).. which gives them permission to inquire/access.:innocent0

Generic_human

Lurker
    Jun 20, 2011
    Maryland
    not when you sign the last sheet (last i recall).. which gives them permission to inquire/access.:innocent0

I understand the reasoning for checking things like that, they want to make sure you are not a dangerous lunatic, but "Have you ever seen a psychiatrist" is vague in its purpose... Answering "yes" could mean you saw one because you were hearing voices telling you to kill people OR because you were depressed after a losing a family member.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I think you are exactly right. I received a call from my boss and she was like, "I got a call from MSP, I did not know you wanted a carry permit, what is your reasoning for this?"

It was just an awkward conversation to have with my boss. I should not have to explain my reasoning to her other than it is my 2A Right.

My boss will likely respond in a similar fashion. I expected an employment verification, not a call directly to my boss to discuss my desire for a permit; if I had actual data pointing that way prior to submitting the application to FedEx this afternoon, I would likely have withheld the application. Too late now - here's hoping that it does not cause employment issues...

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville

You shouldn't even have to explain that...the idea of concealed is for no one to know. Other than character questions they should not be asking anything.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I understand the reasoning for checking things like that, they want to make sure you are not a dangerous lunatic, but "Have you ever seen a psychiatrist" is vague in its purpose... Answering "yes" could mean you saw one because you were hearing voices telling you to kill people OR because you were depressed after a losing a family member.

Righto.

This could get very interesting,....fast. :sad20:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

that i can understand.. saying yes not going to harm you.. unless you have been found not mentally "fit" is what they wanted to find out.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Anyone informed MSI of these questions that they are asking? It might be something that they want to know about. These don't seem to be standard questions by any means. Almost like the LEO are just winging it with no direction on what they are suppose to be doing.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I would think it's equivalent to the 77R.
    that only approves them to look in your mental health records.

the one for permit is more..

I authorize the full and complete disclosure of the records of educational institutions, financial or credit institutions, and the records of commercial or retail mercantile establishments and retail credit agencies; medical and psychiatric consultation and/or treatment, including those hospitals, clinics, private practitioners, the U.S. Veterans’ Administration, and all military and psychiatric facilities; public utility companies; employment and pre-employment records including background investigation reports, the results of polygraph examinations, efficiency ratings, complaints or grievances filed by or against me; records of complaints of a civil nature made by or against me

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Then they shouldn't be asking for the boss'es phone number, they want HR to validate. The question should be "Name and number of an employer official that can validate your employment".

We aren't suppose to be able to validate employment, we are suppose to defer to HR for legal reasons. I think I will get head of HR instead of my boss.

Oh, good, take it literally and use it as an excuse to go bounce off the wall. That'll help.

What will you bet Ibang1 said "boss's phone number" as a shortcut to mean "phone number of the company you work for", which would get them the reception desk, who would hand them on to HR. How about that?

Jesus please us, I'm sorry I said anything. C ya.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Oh, good, take it literally and use it as an excuse to go bounce off the wall. That'll help.

What will you bet Ibang1 said "boss's phone number" as a shortcut to mean "phone number of the company you work for", which would get them the reception desk, who would hand them on to HR. How about that?

Jesus please us, I'm sorry I said anything. C ya.

Guy, I think most of us agree with you that it should be limited to the HR validation question.

However, it does not appear that MSP is taking that route. There has been at least one other poster in the thread who stated that his boss called and told him what the MSP wanted to know, which included being asked if the boss thought the employee should be allowed to have one.

Frankly, asking anything beyond the HR validation points seems odd to me, and is likely to cause employment issues for some of us that have applied. I really wish that information had been available a few hours ago, before I shipped off the application.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Sorry didn't have time to provide details. The questions were:

1. Why do you want a permit? Answer was for self protection.
    2. Have you been threatened? Answer no.
    3. Do you have a permit from another state? Answer yes Utah. He asked for the permit number. Then asked how many States it was valid in. Told him around 30 but not MD unfortunately.
    4. Have you ever seen a shrink? Okay he said psychiatrist. Answer no.
    5. Have you or do you use drugs? Answer no.
    6. Do you drink rarely, socially or heavily? Answer rarely to social.
    7. Have you been arrested? Answer no.
    8. Have you ever been charged with domestic violence? Answer no.
    9. Do you have firearms in your house? Answer yes 2 9mms and a shotgun
    10. What kind of guns. Answer Springfield XDms and a Mossberg 500.
    11. Are you married, single or divorced? Answer married.
    12. Can I speak with your wife? Answer yes she is right here.

He asked her to go to a different room and asked her if she was a victim of domestic violence. And did she have any reasons why I should not get a permit? She said no and I really hope he gets one. Good girl!

That was pretty much it. I know he also called at least one of my references. All in all very straight forward.

WGS

I hereby recind my "Troll" comment. Great job with details. Thanks.

sixfivesavage

Jun 30, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Kinda seems like they are of the mind " hey, if we call their boss, the word will get out before long and it will change some peoples minds about putting in an application. ". I was told when I was finger printed that the msp would probably contact my neighbours too. Don't know how true that is since no info was provided by me to contact them. I do remember a few years ago that they called me as a reference of a friend and asked if I had a reason he shouldn't get a permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom