• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm at day 29. Besides being very busy they may also be sitting our app's to the side when/if they have app's for people they do consider to have their G&S.
    I don't know what you put as your reason, but I put down self defense and all lawful purposes, so your reasoning for what they might see as good and substantial is moot in my application as I'm sure countless numbers of people have put the same on their apps. I'm starting to look at it as the area I'm in as being a more conservative area of the state, more so than the Capitol region where there have been a lot more interviews on going.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Earlier, I read where someone from Frederick had to go to Westminster for their interview. When he asked why Westminster, rather than Frederick, the Trooper didn't consider it to be that much of an inconvenience, as I remember it.
    As an aside, I haven't heard of anyone being interviewed at Hagerstown Barricks.
    Thanks. My app must be on the bottom of someone's pile. I am *sure* that they are working *very* hard to process these applications.....:rolleyes:
    thanks! Appreciate it. Was the msp trooper based in Westminster? When did you get word to come into for the ftf interview? Thx. again.

Yep that was me you're thinking of OnTarget. @esqappellate, mine was Trooper "V" and the interview was at his desk back in a big office with about 6 other desks (no other troopers in there, but it was early in the AM). He said he had interviews at other barracks he had to do, so he might have like 4-5 counties he covers. But I did see a bunch of file cabinets with his name on it so I think he's based out of Westminster. I had gotten a phone call about 2, 2 1/2 weeks before the interview, but dlmcbm had the same trooper and his interview was about a week before mine and he got his call about the same time.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I don't know what you put as your reason, but I put down self defense and all lawful purposes, so your reasoning for what they might see as good and substantial is moot in my application as I'm sure countless numbers of people have put the same on their apps. I'm starting to look at it as the area I'm in as being a more conservative area of the state, more so than the Capitol region where there have been a lot more interviews on going.

I put down the same but added Personal & business. We have a small farm business so I added in all that I thought would help. Here in Carroll County is also considered a conservative area.

If you consider all of the app's they must be getting and then look at the people that report to MS, there is not allot of people reporting progress with interviews. I think I may have read around 25-30 different people that reported they had a face to face set up. Not allot considering.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I bet before this the MSP did more work with just renewals then they did with new app's. I read that MD only has 49,000 +/- CCW's issued. That's nothing. We have more then 49,000 7/11's in MD alone.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Thanks. My app must be on the bottom of someone's pile. I am *sure* that they are working *very* hard to process these applications.....:rolleyes:

On the app's they are working on I bet they are getting to the point where they just need to be stamped either approved or not approved and waiting for the end of May so they can see if they are going to need and or get they next stay. If they get their next stay I think they will be rolling out the Not Approved on all of them. If they do not get their next stay. they may send them out approved.

Mr H

Banana'd
    On the app's they are working on I bet they are getting to the point where they just need to be stamped either approved or not approved and waiting for the end of May so they can see if they are going to need and or get they next stay. If they get their next stay I think they will be rolling out the Not Approved on all of them. If they do not get their next stay. they may send them out approved.

Honestly??

I don't think "approval" (sorry... non-disapproval :D) matters at all at this point!!

The current process (for lack of a better term) is all about the point in time the app was received, and handling them in the commensurate initial manner.

None of what we're seeing, IMO, has anything to do with actual assessment of the applications, and MSP/MD has no intention of issuing permits under the current structure.

Dotting Ts and crossing Is........

;)

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Honestly??

I don't think "approval" (sorry... non-disapproval :D) matters at all at this point!!

The current process (for lack of a better term) is all about the point in time the app was received, and handling them in the commensurate initial manner.

None of what we're seeing, IMO, has anything to do with actual assessment of the applications, and MSP/MD has no intention of issuing permits under the current structure.

Dotting Ts and crossing Is........

;)
    Your most likely right

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the future of the entire "interview" process is worth pondering at this point.

With G&S in place there are 2 factors to think about:

1. The interview process is necessary to facilitate an in depth review by MSP of the applicants G&S reasons, and to thoroughly investigate, and find, a reason to deny the application. The order of the day after all is that you're denied unless we approve you, so we'll interview, and try to NOT find a reason to do so!

2. Because the volume of applications is so small, this presents next to no administrative burden or cost to MSP or the State.

Now let's look at what happens once the State recognizes that they must process applications with NO G&S.

1. Where is there any reason to conduct an interview? There's simply no upside to it. From an applicants point of view a one time 20 minute visit to MSP is no big deal, and all MSP would get is a verbal response that matches what they already have on the application. Nothing to be achieved.

2. Wisconsin has a population of 5.7 million and after 6 months of Shall Carry have just issued their 100,000 permit! Maryland has a very similar population [5.8 million].
    Can you imagine MSP trying to schedule 100,000 interviews in 6 months? The system would implode!

I think there's a good chance that when G&S formally goes away, so might the interviews.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I think the future of the entire "interview" process is worth pondering at this point.

With G&S in place there are 2 factors to think about:

1. The interview process is necessary to facilitate an in depth review by MSP of the applicants G&S reasons, and to thoroughly investigate, and find, a reason to deny the application. The order of the day after all is that you're denied unless we approve you, so we'll interview, and try to NOT find a reason to do so!

2. Because the volume of applications is so small, this presents next to no administrative burden or cost to MSP or the State.

Now let's look at what happens once the State recognizes that they must process applications with NO G&S.

1. Where is there any reason to conduct an interview? There's simply no upside to it. From an applicants point of view a one time 20 minute visit to MSP is no big deal, and all MSP would get is a verbal response that matches what they already have on the application. Nothing to be achieved.

2. Wisconsin has a population of 5.7 million and after 6 months of Shall Carry have just issued their 100,000 permit! Maryland has a very similar population [5.8 million].
    Can you imagine MSP trying to schedule 100,000 interviews in 6 months? The system would implode!

I think there's a good chance that when G&S formally goes away, so might the interviews.

MD is doing themselves in with all this interviewing. Right now the statute 5-306 requires an investigation and that includes an investigation into suitability under 5(i) (which is not at issue in Woollard). So, MD right now is boxed in by the statute to investigate suitability. That is a costly nightmare for the State. They either have to win Woollard or radically change 5-306 to alleviate the burden on themselves. That will take legislation. In the meantime, MD will have to give serious thought as to how it conducts the statutory "investigation." They don't *have to* do interviews under 5i -- they are doing that quite on their own.

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    Depending upon the volume of applications they're alread "sitting on" [including mine], when and if they begin to process those WITHOUT G&S, they may forego the interviews just to catch up and realizing they get no benefit from them.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Depending upon the volume of applications they're alread "sitting on" [including mine], when and if they begin to process those WITHOUT G&S, they may forego the interviews just to catch up and realizing they get no benefit from them.

I would be surprised if they changed their procedures now. But we shall see. Wish I knew the size of their backlog.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My wife was wondering if it would be a good idea to bring along a character reference to the interview.

Wife is on the left.

Attachments

• DSC01482 My Wife and Ron.jpg
      DSC01482 My Wife and Ron.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 243

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    What is preventing us from finding out? Isn't an answer only a MDFOIA request , 60-90 days and $1-$500 away?

A good. Of course 60-90 days is too long to be useful. Still worth checking into. Never done a md foia request -- I am very familar with the federal foia law. Don't know much about MD's law

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom