• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Very good question. Under staffed I'd imagine. That, an it's not a priority for them as it seems like it's either revenue neutral or a LOSS for the state (the way they do it).

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    I was just using the reference part becauce I think that part is totally rediculious. You can pretty much figure that nobody is going to use a reference that is going to say something bad.;)

I'm going to guess that you've never watched an episode of "COPS" before.

In general, criminals aren't exactly the brightest bunch. I'm sure if you spoke to some of the people who do background checks, you would probably be surprised about what they find out from references. A simple conversation with an acquantaince of someone can turn up all kinds of things.

I would also speculate that it could help prevent someone from submitting an application under an alias. You'd have to get at least three people to lie for you.

I would also add that MSP process was conceived under their "may issue" rules where they had very few applicants to begin with.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I really did not know where to put this question so it is going here. You can see my dates above. Technically I should have my permit by the end of the week (if G&S were really gone as of now). So why in the past has it taken 3 months to get these things out? I am taking about people with real good G&S also. My Dad started as a bailiff last year and it took him every bit of the 3 months to get his. He is also a retired Federal Officer. Just not sure what the hold up was all that time.

Because they need to ship them to India and China to get processed.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm going to guess that you've never watched an episode of "COPS" before.

In general, criminals aren't exactly the brightest bunch. I'm sure if you spoke to some of the people who do background checks, you would probably be surprised about what they find out from references. A simple conversation with an acquantaince of someone can turn up all kinds of things.

I would also speculate that it could help prevent someone from submitting an application under an alias. You'd have to get at least three people to lie for you.

I would also add that MSP process was conceived under their "may issue" rules where they had very few applicants to begin with.
    I'm sure that if a criminal applied that they would be kicked out when they did the background check long before the references were contacted.
    I agreethat the reference part was probably implimented under the may issue system, but it's not like I'm applying for a job, concealed is concealed, the less that know the better off you are.:thumbsup:

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    The "references" part is basically the same prinicipal used for security clearances, except the investigators "pick" whom they want to interview of the folks that are at work the day they show up to do the investigation of the person in question. I just had to do a interview for one of my co-workers last week. They ask all of the same questions except "do they have firearms".

Like many have said, you can run finger prints and be squeaky clean. You can run a SSN and find nothing out of the ordinary. Now obviously no one would list a reference that that they "thought" would say anything negative, but you never really know how people will answer questions when asked. That is why I let them know I was using them and if it were okay.

The funny thing, you know how many "dead" people are still getting Social Security benifits? It is astounding. And then the opposite, there was a key stroke mistake made and a 85 year old woman stopped getting her checks and it took her 3-4 weeks of letters and calls and a national news story before the SSA realized she is indeed alive......

No system is perfect. MD is adding extra layers of "stuff" to try and weed out bad apples who *may* be applying. Hence the (what we all agree is very) intrusive questions about employers and such.

Not to mention, they just might find some of the people who owe back money, have outstanding issues etc. that are not criminal offense necessarily, in an attempt to not only deny the permit, but collect more $$, as this state is in bad shape fiscally. I put nothing past the liberals who want to continue to tax, spend and intrude in your personal life. They feel it is their civic duty. Thank god we have some people out there that don't agree like Smigel.

Mr H

Banana'd
    03/13/2012 Fingerprints
    03/14/2012 mailed app.
    03/15/2012 app. received
    03/20/2012 received background check in the mail... all clear
    03/21/2012 check cleared the bank. The number appears to be 81321
    No phone call yet. I will update if it happens

Did you have a need to use "Page 10"?

Not prying, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether anyone whose CJIS came back clean and had no Page 10 are even getting phone calls.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.

Not prying, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether anyone whose CJIS came back clean and had no Page 10 are even getting phone calls.

Yes I did for things from 19 years ago. I was wondering that also for the interview part. I would think maybe that no page 10 would get a call before background came in. with page 10--lets see the background check first

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

Application was received 3/12.
    CJIS letter 3/16
    Checked deposited some time.
    My CJIS letter came back saying I am good.
    I had on page 10 my current employment which I have been employed at for more than 5yrs, and explanation of arrest that was PBJ, and expunged.

No call as of yet. With the teleconference with Judge Legg scheduled for tomorrow, I think phone calls are probably halted.

Last edited:

quartermiles10

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 17, 2012

Every applicant should be using page 10. Question 25 on page 7 asks for 5 years of employment history. Page 10 is also for explaining in further detail any question from page 7.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    LCPIWB said:
    Application was received 3/12.
    CJIS letter 3/16
    Checked deposited some time.
    My CJIS letter came back saying I am good.
    I had on page 10 my current employement which I have been employed at for more than 5yrs, and expliantion of arrest that was PBJ, and expunded.

No call as of yet. With the teleconferance with Judge Legg scheduled for tommorow, I think phone calls are probably halted.

I had filled in page 10 with expunged case info (not convictions; a "Not Guilty", and a "Nolle Pros") and attached the official court disposition paperwork. Got my CJIS letter yesterday stating I am clear.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    Every applicant should be using page 10. Question 25 on page 7 asks for 5 years of employment history. Page 10 is also for explaining in further detail any question from page 7.

Go read here
    http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/MSI_APPLICATION_GUIDE.pdf

According to the "app guide" provided by MSI, employment history is only required for those seeking permits on behalf of work related reasons like security guards etc.

If you look at the example app, you, as a citizen application for self defense purposes, do not have to provide who you work for, though alot of us did on page 7. According to the "app guide", unless you answered YES to one of the questions on page 7 or have to provide additional info from anything on page 5-9, page 10 should not be needed. My only "YES" answer was on page 7, required I attach my DD214 since I did serve in the military.

I am not an application expert, only going off what was provided from MSI. I hear what you are saying about how the question 25 is worded, but since I have been with the same emplyer for 10 years, I added nothing on page 10 since I filled out my employer up in the top of page 7 and it hasn't changed. We'll see! The MD app is less than logical and intuitive for sure.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA

But if you've been with the same job for more than 5 years...and have no arrest record...and have no denial/revocations of carry permits...Page 10 would be blank.

The only thing I would have use of Page 10 is that I work a part time job (also been longer than 5 yrs) in addition to my full time job...and I would list that on there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    But if you've been with the same job for more than 5 years...and have no arrest record...and have no denial/revocations of carry permits...Page 10 would be blank.

The only thing I would have use of Page 10 is that I work a part time job (also been longer than 5 yrs) in addition to my full time job...and I would list that on there.

just read it again and you are right. :thumbsup:

"list all past employers for the last five (5) years"

key word bolded.. :)

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I was just using the reference part becauce I think that part is totally rediculious. You can pretty much figure that nobody is going to use a reference that is going to say something bad.;)

What if, say, your boss and you don't exactly get along?
    I *HATE* that reference crap.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I don't know. Wouldn't you still need to answer yes to these two questions, and explain on page 10. Have you ever been arrested? Have you ever been served with a criminal summons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD Statute says you do not have to disclose expunged records. That's why you get them expunged.

Maryland Statutes Search Maryland Statutes

Section 10-109
    (a) (1) Disclosure of expunged information about criminal charges in an application, interview, or other means may not be required: (i) by an employer or educational institution of a person who applies for employment or admission; or

[B](ii) by a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State of a person who applies for a license, permit, registration, or governmental service.[/B]

(2) A person need not refer to or give information concerning an expunged charge when answering a question concerning:

(i) a criminal charge that did not result in a conviction; or

(ii) a conviction that the Governor pardoned.

(3) Refusal by a person to disclose information about criminal charges that have been expunged may not be the sole reason for:

(i) an employer to discharge or refuse to hire the person; or

(ii) a unit, official, or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the State to deny the person's application.

(b) (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or both for each violation.

(2) In addition to the penalties provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection, an official or employee of the State or a political subdivision of the

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom