• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    They received my permit on 3/09, cashed my check on 3/12, and as best as I can read it, my # is 81121. No call yet, I'll post when some progress is made.

MH

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Mine goes in this coming week when I get a chance to get prints done

ESQ> No, I have not re-applied at this point. I believe I will wait until the
    appeal process runs its course. I did, however, contact MSP, and got a reply in 4 days..to wit: Even thou my app was denied in November, my 80105 app is closed...so that means a new app with all the trimmings must be completed
    again, and another handful of cash expended...

At this point I reckon there is ..guessing 1000+ applications sitting on the shelf at MSP, waiting for the appeal process.....

R

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I understand MSP will be calling my employer and my wife, as well as my references.

Will they also be calling my neighbors?

Should I have a little talk with my neighbors, to sort of prepare them?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I saw several references to contacting neighbors, as well as credit agencies, department stores, and utility companies. Also schools.

I'm trying to get a solid answer whether or not they contact neighbors.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I saw several references to contacting neighbors, as well as credit agencies, department stores, and utility companies. Also schools.

I'm trying to get a solid answer whether or not they contact neighbors.

I've never heard of this for a MD handgun permit. I and several others have had this done for a security clearance.

I truly believe the MSP does not know what to do right now.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Ah the Puzzle Palace. A truly strange place. Have you reapplied for a permit after the decision?

There's no joking about anything related any place that may or may not be called that.

What bothers me, on a related tone, is what will the MSP do when someone with a clearance (of any sort) is in the position to not be able to give other people's names out?

Seriously, I honestly thingk that NO ONE, except maybe HR, will speak with them. If nothing else, due to liability concerns.

If someone called me up and asked me if a person should have a permit or not, I tell them that it's none of my business and that I am not allowed to discuss the it in any way, shape, or form. I don't want my ass sued... and most places have rules about this...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ...What bothers me, on a related tone, is what will the MSP do when someone with a clearance (of any sort) is in the position to not be able to give other people's names out?

I would hope that wouldn't be a problem. It sounds like the MSP is trying to get a "feel" (highly subjective, and based entirely on hearsay), of whether or not the applicant has a "propensity to violence."

The agency contacted has a good reason to refuse to discuss employees, and I thing the MSP would understand and respect that. In this situation, "no response" should be as good as a "positive response".

Should be. Oh, yeah, this is Maryland...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The neighbor hing makes zero sense. I've already got plenty of firearms; carrying one out of the house is not going to change their risk level at all.

I'd sooner not have my gun ownership info spread around the neighborhood. Increases my risk level.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The neighbor hing makes zero sense. I've already got plenty of firearms; carrying one out of the house is not going to change their risk level at all.

I'd sooner not have my gun ownership info spread around the neighborhood. Increases my risk level.

I think we're all there.

I carried outside for 2 days, and no one knew a thing. I'd prefer it be that way ANYWHERE I go.

As it is, I'm getting really upset I have to either travel or stay home. Especially since my feelin of vulnerability is most acute outside the home.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    IMPORTANT This from Delegate Michael D. Smigiel today (Sunday). "Please ask anyone asked questions 4,5,6,9 or 10 [below] to please call me. I don't believe if asked in the way presented they are appropriate."

Reference the following questions being asked by MSP on telephone interviews - not an exhaustive list:
    1. Why do you want a permit?
    2. Have you been threatened?
    3. Do you have a permit from another state? Then asked for the permit number. Then asked how many States it was valid in.
    4. Have you ever seen a psychiatrist?
    5. Have you or do you use drugs?
    6. Do you drink rarely, socially or heavily?
    7. Have you been arrested?
    8. Have you ever been charged with domestic violence?
    9. Do you have firearms in your house?
    10. What kind of guns?
    11. Are you married, single or divorced?
    12. Can I speak with your wife?

House Office Building, Room 323
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    (410) 841-3555, (301) 858-3555
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3555 (toll free)
    e-mail: michael.smigiel@house.state.md.us
    fax: (410) 841-3434, (301) 858-3434

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    IMPORTANT This from Delegate Michael D. Smigiel today (Sunday). "Please ask anyone asked questions 4,5,6,9 or 10 [below] to please call me. I don't believe if asked in the way presented they are appropriate."

Add:
    3 since MD doesn't recognize other permits
    and especially 12

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inigoes: It is Delegate Smigiel that choose what questions were disconcerting.

I understand, delegate smeigel is disconcerted about questions already answered from the application.

He should be more/equally disconcerted about the MSP prying additional info above and beyond the questions not asked on the application...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom