• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • packinacannon

Sep 23, 2012
    does anyone know exactly what type of training and where its offered around St.Marys Co. area? Like to start making some positive efforts in advance of applying.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    does anyone know exactly what type of training and where its offered around St.Marys Co. area? Like to start making some positive efforts in advance of applying.

Right now, no training is required. I think you should take all the training you can get. It is good to have formal training, even if it is not required.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    *Not presently touching upon the Training Requirement Controversy*

For basic instruction in the mechanics of gun handling , and basic marksmanship ,start with any NRA sanctioned course.

For those already reasonably competant in basic gun skills , the Utah Class offered by several of our IPs , and others is an excellent concise overview of the actual Carrying . It is a worthwhile class even if you are not specificall planning to get a Utah permit. ( That is a worthwhile thing , but a different discussion.)

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    Went really fast, probably less than 15 minutes. Trooper was very courtesy, didn't seem to know about the Wollard case(told me I'd hear from the licensing within 30 days - which would be curious as I'm a pre-stay app from March) - but did agree about a statement I about a persons right to defend one's self with all lawful means.

Things I found curious: Asked to fax any training I do complete (seems reasonable/good idea). Asked for 2 more references, including a current or ex g/f. Good thing I'm on good terms with the ex! He talked to her for almost an hour, quote "asked about drugs, a lot". Wanted to know if the purchase of the gun I planned to carry was contingent on the permit, I said yes as there's no need for a carry piece that can't be carried.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My interview was in Rockville. The trooper asked what I planned to carry and then even asked if I had purchased it yet.

So much for it being eliminated.

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    I thought questions about what you would carry had been eliminated? This is still being done?

My interview was in Rockville. The trooper asked what I planned to carry and then even asked if I had purchased it yet.

So much for it being eliminated.

Definitely asked me. When I was asked I orginally responded "probably a 380" and was asked follow up questions right down to the make and model

Leroi

Feb 16, 2011
    Need to talk to supervisor?

I just had my interview this past weekend and was overall a quick and pleasant experience. However, since then I have been contacted by another trooper who is apparently heading my investigation, the trooper this weekend was helping out to reduce the backlog, and he had some additional questions that were not asked during the interview. The main issue I have is that he wants my direct supervisors contact information and wants to ask him a few questions and said that I need to provide him with that information today or he will put in the report that I refused to allow them to contact my supervisor and it would look bad. I think this is absolutely absurd. I do not really feel comfortable providing him with my boss' phone number and I do not think that it would be any of my boss' business whether or not I had a carry permit.

Has anyone else been asked to provide this information? and what do you guys think about it? I guess I will end up talking to my boss and giving the info to the trooper, but I am hesitant.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I just had my interview this past weekend and was overall a quick and pleasant experience. However, since then I have been contacted by another trooper who is apparently heading my investigation, the trooper this weekend was helping out to reduce the backlog, and he had some additional questions that were not asked during the interview. The main issue I have is that he wants my direct supervisors contact information and wants to ask him a few questions and said that I need to provide him with that information today or he will put in the report that I refused to allow them to contact my supervisor and it would look bad. I think this is absolutely absurd. I do not really feel comfortable providing him with my boss' phone number and I do not think that it would be any of my boss' business whether or not I had a carry permit.

Has anyone else been asked to provide this information? and what do you guys think about it? I guess I will end up talking to my boss and giving the info to the trooper, but I am hesitant.

We've found that different interviewers have had different methods of processing applications. Honestly, I'm not shocked you ran into this.

My application, my supervisor was one of my personal references, so I can't help you there.

Have you asked MSP why they wish to speak to your supervisor?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

The trooper who handled my application also requested my supervisor's contact info and did, in fact, talk with my supervisor. The justification is, supposedly, in section 5(i), under which they can investigate whether you are violent or prone to threats, etc. FWIW, I gave him the contact info without protest. Of course, my app is still in limbo pending Woollard too. Cooperation is not required, but since this is still a "may issue" state, non-cooperation will almost certainly be used to deny a permit. They have a lot of discretion under 5(i) and 5(i) is not at issue in Woollard (only 5(ii)).

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    The trooper who handled my application also requested my supervisor's contact info and did, in fact, talk with my supervisor. The justification is, supposedly, in section 5(i), under which they can investigate whether you are violent or prone to threats, etc. FWIW, I gave him the contact info without protest. Of course, my app is still in limbo pending Woollard too. Cooperation is not required, but since this is still a "may issue" state, non-cooperation will almost certainly be used to deny a permit. They have a lot of discretion under 5(i) and 5(i) is not at issue in Woollard (only 5(ii)).
    If we win at the 4th Circuit, and the State appeals to SCOTUS and we win there, can the state still employ draconian, intrusive tactics like speaking to supervisors? Is the only thing a win at 4CA and SCOTUS gives us is that we no longer need to provide G & S reasons for a permit?

Like many, I really don't want my boss knowing if I apply for apermit.

Thanks esqappellate.

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    The main issue I have is that he wants my direct supervisors contact information and wants to ask him a few questions and said that I need to provide him with that information today or he will put in the report that I refused to allow them to contact my supervisor and it would look bad. I think this is absolutely absurd. I do not really feel comfortable providing him with my boss' phone number and I do not think that it would be any of my boss' business whether or not I had a carry permit.

I thought there was a space on the application for this information?

Broadside

Mar 20, 2012
    Virginia
    Things I found curious: Asked for 2 more references, including a current or ex g/f. Good thing I'm on good terms with the ex! He talked to her for almost an hour, quote "asked about drugs, a lot". Wanted to know if the purchase of the gun I planned to carry was contingent on the permit, I said yes as there's no need for a carry piece that can't be carried.

The Trooper that interviewed me said that the person he feels is most important to speak with is the person you sleep with every night as that is usually the person who knows you the best.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If we win at the 4th Circuit, and the State appeals to SCOTUS and we win there, can the state still employ draconian, intrusive tactics like speaking to supervisors? Is the only thing a win at 4CA and SCOTUS gives us is that we no longer need to provide G & S reasons for a permit?

Like many, I really don't want my boss knowing if I apply for apermit.

Thanks esqappellate.

The only thing at issue in Woollard in the CA4 is good and substantial (5(ii), the statutory requirement of doing an investigation is still there and unchallenged as is the 5(i) requirement. So, yes, they can still demand it under 5(i). My guess is that the whole statute will be redone by the GA if we win in Woollard. So it may be a moot point.

Last edited:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I hear you, But just do what they ask and get through it. I put all of my supervisors info on my app and they never contacted him. Also when I filled out the PA permit app I also included this contact info and PA also never called.

They just want to get an idea who you are and try to learn how you think. Asking people you work with is one way to find this info out. Also consider if you very happy to offer this info they may think you have nothing to hid and may not bother to call. If you give them a hard time about this info they will wonder what you may not want them to find out.
    So just yes sir and no sir and give them everything they ask for with a smile. :)

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    I was asked this info back in april or may when they started processing my app. Trooper wanted to know any medical or psychiatric diagnosis or treatment, any workers comp claims, any grievences i had filed against me or that i had filed, employment application, pre employment investigations, efficency or appraisal ratings for the last 2 years and copies or records of civil complaints against me.
    As far as i know my company gave them the info.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I thought there was a space on the application for this information?

Yes it is, if I remember correctly, under employment info. I told my supervisor that he may be contacted. I told him what was going on and he said if I had any luck he was going to apply. He was never contacted.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo

In my case I spoke with HR, and they FLATLY indicated that not only would disclosing the names of fellow employees be a breech of contract (with the Feds), but that if my supervisor said anything other then the fact I worked there and the dates, he/she would be repremanded, and that any law suit I brought forth would not covered by the State of Maryland.

Soooo... you only have a few choices, I spoke with HR, and they crushed the whole thing for me. "Do not disclose ANYONE. They can call us, we will have the HR executive speak with them, and that person will only confirm that you would here and the dates of your employment. This is the policy of the State of Maryland."

...or, you can indicate that, while you have no reason to believe that your boss or coworkers would speak ill of you, that you really feel it would be in poor form to put them in a position where if they did answer questions in a negative or anti-gun fashion, that you would feel the need to sue them.

The cold truth is that you can PIA your records and start going hog wild with law suits. The judge may throw it out, but that's what appeals are for...

I am very suspicious about the phrasing on the application form indicating that you agree not to sue. (I think that's something it said...)

I believe that to be a load of crap, and while I have no idea how good my attorney in MD is, there is some indication that coercing people to sign a form indicating they will not sue people related to the investigation for a CCW is also a violation of your rights...

How exactly, I'm not certain, but I willing to plunk down a few bucks to see where it goes.

Granted, in my case, I've got no reason to suspect issues at all. However, I really think that eventually, someone is going to put the above to the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom