• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I did my FTF interview (with "G&S") more than a 45 days ago.

"Maryland's Finest" finally called my 3 references yesterday (July 4).

Maryland taxpayers deserve a more efficient process, and Maryland citizens a more effective system.

Regretfully, Maryland may never have the competence to run a model system such as Utah, which provides applicants a 45 day turn-around and the public daily NCIC checks.

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I just got done with my FTF today. I met with Detective Sgt. Gregory. She was very nice and friendly. All she did was ask to see my drivers license and then re-asked me the questions on the application. She told me how swamped they have been with the applications and how unfortunately they have to take a back seat to actual cases. I agreed with her. I believe the MSP have better things to do than to interview us but that's the process that's in place right now. She told me that she will type up a small report and send it off. She didn't say where but I'm guessing Pikesville. She also said not to hold my breath on receiving my permit. I didn't go into Wollard case and rulings with her, she was busy and I didn't see the need to get into a debate over it.
    So I guess now I'm in the hurry up and wait mode again along with everyone else. has there been any word at all as to when Judge Legg is going to rule on the Stay?

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Just got a call from the barracks - my app was received in early March, references were called a few weeks later, interview scheduled for this Thursday.
    Looks like it's Howard County's turn. Got called today and interview set for Thursday as well. My app was hand-delivered 3/6. References have not been called yet.
    EDIT: I just ran the numbers and today marks exactly 90 business days since my submission.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    i am in howard county, i was first called back at the end of april. then was called may 18th to let me know he was going to be in training the following week and he wanted to set up my interview for the week after his training, but i was going out of town that week. its been almost 2 months since i have heard anything regarding my interview. he also said he wasn't going to contact my references until after our ftf interwiew. hoping it happens soon so i can wait some more.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    c33, if it comes up, maybe you could mention the 90 day mark and see what he/she says? Don't do it if you're not comfortable with it, but I'm curious what they would say to someone already past the deadline for a decision.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    c33, if it comes up, maybe you could mention the 90 day mark and see what he/she says? Don't do it if you're not comfortable with it, but I'm curious what they would say to someone already past the deadline for a decision.

Per previous posts, I don't think it's smart at this point to inquire on or push for any decision on pre-stay, non-G&S apps while the stay is current. If/when the stay is lifted then I'll be the first to write a letter to the board demanding action on my app.

I'll politely answer the questions he asks and move on.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I was recently informed by Marland's 'Finest', that g&s apps are now expected to be completed in about 4 months.

Meanwhile, my VA and FL permits we're both applied for and received during the time MSP was still struggling through contacting my references.

How can they be entrusted to manage permit applications and revocations with this record?

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    CypherPunk said:
    I was recently informed by Marland's 'Finest', that g&s apps are now expected to be completed in about 4 months.

Meanwhile, my VA and FL permits we're both applied for and received during the time MSP was still struggling through contacting my references.

How can they be entrusted to manage permit applications and revocations with this record?

They changed the wording to 90 business days on the application sometime in April. The trooper that interviewed me try to tell me it was to take 4-5 months and I reminded him that my application said 90 days not 90 business days so I got mine exactly 90 days.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Im not saying the changed wording here:

http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads.aspx under general downloads.

It just says, "Processing a properly completed application may take up to 90 days to investigate."

ahhhhh...they toyed with the english language.

Doesn't say anything about making a final determination so while the "investigation" can take up to 90 days for processing, the actual issuance of said permit is up to their discretion.

They suck.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    ahhhhh...they toyed with the english language.

Doesn't say anything about making a final determination so while the "investigation" can take up to 90 days for processing, the actual issuance of said permit is up to their discretion.

They suck.

Well, to be fair I discovered teh MSP has multiple versions of the application on their website. If you go through their front page instead of Google, you will get the app that says 90 business days (4 months).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tradationally even with G&S , MSP simply took however long they took. While 3mo was *average* , up to 6mo was not uncomon.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I would bet that all "may issue" states take this long. The requirements are different then "shall issue" states. That is why the 90 business days......G&S, references, interview, background check, etc. This takes time. I was even asked at my interview for my wife's cell # because he needed to speak with her. In a shall issue state if you have the training requirements and pass background you are issued a permit. I received my Utah permit in 30 days and my MD permit in just under 3 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom