• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDH

Apr 30, 2005
    Harford County
    I think MD has somewhat poor gun laws pertaining to ccw. I wish it was more like Texas and states that have a more leinent laws tp ccw. Baltimore wouldn't be so bad if the bad guys knew everyone else was packing.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    3 years ago I moved to Maryland from Arizona, which is a very gun friendly state. From what I have observed, people who lose their rights have a tendency to shift their mentality after a while. I guess in a sense you could say that they get beat down. For instance, in Arizona no one would think twice about someone carrying CCW, or even seeing someone in the grocery store with a Glock strapped to their hip. It's just the way things are. But in Maryland, the idea of seeing a civilian in Food Lion with a Glock on their hip seems bizarre, and to some, scary. I think that after a while, even the pro-gun crowd starts to buy in the gun-control lies to a certain extent. I find it almost frightening really, that people can adjust to their rights being taken away, and after a while, almost accept it. From what I have seen there is a vocal minority among Maryland gun owners who recognize that they are getting the raw end of the gun-control deal, and recognize that their rights are being taken away. But the majority of gun owners that I have met here don't have much of an opinion, and don't realize what a bad deal they are getting. I think that if Arizona copied Maryland's gun laws that there would be an initial outcry, but after a decade or so gun owners would lower their expectations and no-carry would become the almost acceptable norm. And of course this would not be for the better, as I can almost guarantee that the number of innocent civilians killed because they couldn't defend themselves would go up.

I think Maryland's approach to guns is absolutely wrong, and that it is the average law abiding citizen that suffers. I just hope that enough people in this state continue to realize that they are getting shafted at the expense of their safety, and continue to fight for their rights. It is time for Maryland to wakeup and join the 38 states who realize that people have a right to defend themselves.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I think that after a while, even the pro-gun crowd starts to buy in the gun-control lies to a certain extent.

No doubt. The first year or so that I was a gun owner, I didn't take offense with the loss of my 2A rights. Never had a gun before, so I never gave a rat's ass about gun laws. Lived in Md all my life, so I was a product of my environment.
    But after buying my first handgun - a Bersa 380 in March 2002......look out! I've been yelling screaming kicking, emailing, writing,faxing and visiting every MD legislator every session since 02' regarding gun laws. AWB? Yup, testified against it three separate times. CCW? Yup, help collect signatures for www.marylandshallissue.org and testified in favor of it. Even made a donation to help get Massad Ayoob out here to testify in favor of ccw.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Spot77 said:
    No doubt. The first year or so that I was a gun owner, I didn't take offense with the loss of my 2A rights. Never had a gun before, so I never gave a rat's ass about gun laws. Lived in Md all my life, so I was a product of my environment.
    But after buying my first handgun - a Bersa 380 in March 2002......look out! I've been yelling screaming kicking, emailing, writing,faxing and visiting every MD legislator every session since 02' regarding gun laws. AWB? Yup, testified against it three separate times. CCW? Yup, help collect signatures for www.marylandshallissue.org and testified in favor of it. Even made a donation to help get Massad Ayoob out here to testify in favor of ccw.

Hat-tip for being active in the 2A rights battle! If every gun owner would get involved like you have, I think that we could bring the state legislature to its knees.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for the nod.

It's pretty easy to be mildly involved - just sending letters and emails takes no more than 15 minutes per night once you've figured out what your basic message is going to be.

The thing that gets time consuming is visiting lawmakers in Annapolis. Unfortunately, personal visits make the biggest impact. It's quite easy for lawmakers to have aides send you a form email, but it takes a lot more out of them to actually sit face to face with you and explain why they're voting a certain way.

Anyway, when the crap is about to hit the fan again next year, I'll post lots of links for getting letters and emails sent to the right people.

DD214, have we met before? Annapolis? Do you post on www.thehighroad.org under a different name?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Which ones are they again? one of those is that guy from Balt. that claims that the police are confiscating thousands of AW from the drug gangs' assasins isn't he? Funny that if there are that many as he says in the hands of criminals, then why haven't we had an "assault weapons'" killing epidemic :rolleyes: .

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Yes my friend, I'm sure we do know each other. HAven't spoken to Henry for a while, although we have been discussing via email a potential candidate for district 30 (Busch, Claggett, and ?????)

You and I need to talk soon.

Just so we're clear on our identities, we both share the same initials, yes?

May 12, 2005
    Montgomery
    Spot77 said:
    Yes my friend, I'm sure we do know each other. HAven't spoken to Henry for a while, although we have been discussing via email a potential candidate for district 30 (Busch, Claggett, and ?????)

You and I need to talk soon.

Just so we're clear on our identities, we both share the same initials, yes?
    JS? Well that's mine, not sure about yours. :D

shoot me an email
    keepandbear

at sign

aoldotcom

:cool:

May 12, 2005
    Montgomery
    Spot77 said:
    Quinter the Clown and Garagiola the Gargoyle are from Montgomery County.

You're thinking of Senator Ralph Hughes, D- Baltimore.
    Quinter is from Howard County, Columbia area I think. G is indeed from MC. Idiots, both of them. :mad:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Very sad when I have to structure my annual leave around the legislative session so that I can have enough days to go to testify against these clowns.

Now that I've actually gotten up and spoken once, next year I'll be ready to go on the offensive.....if they didn't like what I said last year, they'll hate me when I've done my research before hand :D

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Hi - I just joined the Shooters Forum. I use the same handle at Baltimore Sun - Packing.org - and TheHighRoad. I have been going to Annapolis for gun bill hearings since 1999 and have lived in the Baltimore MD area all of my life. Also a regional coordinator for Maryland Shall Issue and I am the new owner taking over the Maryland_Alert eGroup from Dr. Phil Lee.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome aboard Charles. Good to see you here.

For those that don't know Charles, he is the man when it comes to taking the antis to task on the Baltimore Sun boards.....he will be a valuable resource to all of us here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom