• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winderster

Jun 22, 2013
    I hope this is not a issue that is too taboo, and do apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else. I had a discussion with some people recently, and some of them are recent C&R holders, myself included. With regard to our Oct 1, gun law, the necessity of registering C&R handguns came up in our discussion.

I have to admit that I have not fully read or understood the new law. Even if I read the whole thing, I doubt I would be able to understand all the legalese. I remember back when this law was being discuss in the state house, a seizure clause was at lease introduced, not sure if it was in the final law.

I believe something along the lines of all newly regulated firearms under the law (SKS, H-Bar AR and such) has to be registered with the state before a certain set date, possibly Oct 1, or subject to seizure. I'm hoping that more legal minded members can clarify.

Please understand this is a legal discussion, of trying to understand the new law, and I'm not trying to have anyone incriminate themselves. I myself have every intention to comply with the law to its full extent. Even if the seizure clause is in effect, I doubt it will stop me buying C&R in the interim. Apparently a registration fee of no more than $15 can be charged at the MSP, not sure if that's per weapon or per person.

Thanks in advance

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lots of misinformation and falsehoods there.

The final SB281 exempts C&R handgun purchases from the MD-regulated buying process. There is no registration for them. Magazines are affected by the greater-than-ten round ban, however. You need to make arrangements to pick up affected magazines out of state.

I'm not aware of any MD-regulated long guns on Oct 1st. Long guns are either not regulated or else banned. There's no in between. Banned rifles possessed/owned prior to Oct 1st are exempted, but you cannot sell or transfer them in MD as of Oct 1st.

There is also an exemption for newly-made, banned rifles ordered/purchased prior to Oct 1st but received afterwards due to manufacturing delays.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Original-style SKS rifles are not banned. Modified SKS rifles with detachable-magazine stocks are banned.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Also Maryland residents do not have to register anything they already own (except machine guns).

Anyone who moves to Maryland after October 1 will have 90 days to register their handguns, but current residents don't have to.

winderster

Jun 22, 2013
    wow, lots of good info here. so C&R are exempt other than mag size, excellent. I'll have to have another talk with them. this certainly put my mind at ease as well. I suppose the uncertainty of Oct 1, is driving people a bit nutty. Thank u all, again

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    the only thing you need to really be concerned with is C&R handguns with mags larger than 10 rounds. That would get you in some trouble.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    the only thing you need to really be concerned with is C&R handguns with mags larger than 10 rounds. That would get you in some trouble.

What popular c&r handguns would fit this criteria?

I think the CZ 82 is a 12rd mag...

Any ideas on how to ship the mags separate from the gun? Or otherwise obtain the mag it was originally intended to use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You'll need an out-of-state mailing address (your own, friend's house, FFL, etc.). You can always drive to or meet the seller out of state if possible.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    What popular c&r handguns would fit this criteria?

Browning Hi Powers made before 1963. Easy to spot because that was the year that FN switched from internal to external extractors. There are usually some nice C&R Hi-powers on Gunbroker -- 1950s West German police guns.

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Browning Hi Powers made before 1963. Easy to spot because that was the year that FN switched from internal to external extractors. There are usually some nice C&R Hi-powers on Gunbroker -- 1950s West German police guns.

Excellent. Thanks! I'm looking to plan my purchases both before and after 10/1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    they can break the magazine down into parts prior to shipping.

And to remain perfectly within the letter of the law, I believe you have to reassemble the magazines outside MD.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Also Maryland residents do not have to register anything they already own (except machine guns).

Anyone who moves to Maryland after October 1 will have 90 days to register their handguns, but current residents don't have to.

Do people moving to MD after 10/1 have to register banned items ie: AR"s or can they even bring them? I have a friend in TX who is looking to purchase his 1st AR for 3Gun and I told him to wait and see if he needs to buy an Hbar in order to bring it back.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do people moving to MD after 10/1 have to register banned items ie: AR"s or can they even bring them? I have a friend in TX who is looking to purchase his 1st AR for 3Gun and I told him to wait and see if he needs to buy an Hbar in order to bring it back.

If they move into the state after Oct 1, and have the banned rifles/regulated handguns in their possession before Oct 1, they will have to pay a one time fee to register all of their regulated/banned firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom