• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Pick the day McDonald is announced.

Winner gets a box of ammo and a LaRue Tactical hat from me. Ammo choices vary widely, but nothing like .50 BMG or .338 Lapua is in my small arsenal. Odds are I have something you'll use.

Winner is chosen with using the following "narrowing" criteria in order from the top:

Tie Breakers, in order:

- By "Scrutiny" advice from the Court (Strict, Intermediate, loosey-goosey or "they didn't say"). Note I am assuming a win for our side here.
    - Vote count
    - And if the above fails or we somehow have more than one matching the above...whoever posted the "most right" guesses on the forum first.

And if the Court goes all out and say "bearing" requires carry anytime in 2010...Krucam gets dinner on me -- but this is an existing bet anyway.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    My guesses:

May 26; 5-4 in favor of McDonald; Punt on Scrutiny; no definite carry decisions

If I win, the next best guess wins the pool.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    CRAP!! You took my bait, didn't you?

June 21st. Conference Day on the 24th...we'll be well in the "discussions" for Stevens replacement, the remaining want to put a wrap on it, but not in May...

Scrutiny: Strict. Too many varying opinions on a Fundamental right across State lines. Strict is the mantra for the 1st, it will be for the 2nd.

Vote: 7-2. One or two of the Heller dissenters jump on board...Sotomayor might surprise us.

Keep and Bear becomes Mantra. I've no doubt on this one. It's an Incorporation case and they won't break up a sub-sub-sub clause that finely. Operative Clause (Heller Defined) carries to the States.

I imagine my eternal optimist predictions surprise nobody...Outside of the date & Vote, I'll come up with some Karma of my own if wrong.

2010 will be a great year.

Last edited:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    CRAP!! You took my bait, didn't you?

Wednesday, June 23rd. Conference Day on the 24th...we'll be well in the "discussions" for Stevens replacement, the remaining want to put a wrap on it, but not in May...

Scrutiny: Strict. Too many varying opinions on a Fundamental right across State lines. Strict is the mantra for the 1st, it will be for the 2nd.

Vote: 7-2. One or two of the Heller dissenters jump on board...Sotomayor might surprise us.

Keep and Bear becomes Mantra. I've no doubt on this one. It's an Incorporation case and they won't break up a sub-sub-sub clause that finely. Operative Clause (Heller Defined) carries to the States.

Bait taken. You all kept saying "67 days", but the Court typically releases in roughly the order they hear them. And they are still hearing cases while others have been announced.

I hope you are right about all of this. :thumbsup:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Something on this magnitude, I look for the court to follow Heller, and let the decision out on the last day of the session.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    • June 28.
    • 6-3 vote for incorporation by due process clause.
    • Strict Scrutiny for "keep", Intermediate Scruitiny for "bear".
    • 2 written decisions (incorporation by due process clause with strict scrutiny for "keep" and intermediate scrutiny for restrictions for "bear"; one dissenting opinion.)
    • For incorporation: Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, Alito, Kennedy, Sotomayor.
    • Dissent: Stevens, Ginsburg, Breyer.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Something on this magnitude, I look for the court to follow Heller, and let the decision out on the last day of the session.

Hey, that's what I was going to say. Last day of the session so they can vamoose out of town.

Will be strict with 5-4

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Seems to me that there should be a MD Delegate and Senator prepared to jointly write a very detailed letter to MD AG Gansler with questions on the status of specific MD gun laws and requlations, post-McDonald.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Seems to me that there should be a MD Delegate and Senator prepared to jointly write a very detailed letter to MD AG Gansler with questions on the status of specific MD gun laws and requlations, post-McDonald.

Absolutely Agree! We should be actively pursuing/planning for life post-McDonald with our representatives...with a subtle reminder of the November elections thrown in...

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Absolutely Agree! We should be actively pursuing/planning for life post-McDonald with our representatives...with a subtle reminder of the November elections thrown in...

Ha! Reminding an MD lawmaker of upcoming elections will not bode well for a pro-2A position. Remember that the counties that decide the election are all heavily against 2A.

We can win SOMD, the Eastern Shore and everything north and west of Howard and still come up short against the B-W corridor.

But laws be laws, and I think we definitely need to craft a set of questions when McDonald is handed down.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Absolutely agree!! Where is the MSI executive members?
    I think MSI should as an organization write a letter and send to all
    the Senators and Delegates. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom