• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back then , the Taurus mfg M92 for the government contract were exactly identical to the then current ( plain ) M
    92 . In the decades since , both the Berettas and Taraus have evolved , in different directions .

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    unless it is so cheap you can't refuse I'd pass. Tried to convince a buddy not to buy a compact pistol as his "first" and he didn't listen. He was dissapointed. Oh, its for my wife. Even worse. Get her the biggest pistol she can handle. Save the tiny ones for a backup you need to hide in your asscrack or other uncomfortable lady place.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I handled a S&W Shield and am impressed. I often have thought about getting one.
    I have a performance center M2 shield with a 4" barrel and with the extended Mag it is excellent. I can use my whole hand to grip it and I feel like Carlos Hathcock when I check the target. And it isn't too horrible stuffed down my pants.

Gun4Fun

Jan 22, 2023
    Washington DC
    I know I'm probably going against the grain here, but why buy a gun you don't need?

This would be a pass for me, as im not trying to accumulate more stuff i dont NEED

What with all the potty talk in here. Didn't you know NEED is a 4 letter world like GOLF or F##K. Did your mother never teach you not to curse in public? I oughta wash your mouth out with soap. The word you are looking for is WANT, want is the appropriate word for this situation.

THIS!!! The 365 is a great pistol for carry.

Yeah I carry the 365XL it's great!

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    No, I don't need it, but I do want it.
    That's all that I will say on this subject.
    You guys have fun dismantling each other.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Ya did good especially since that 92C was from Taurus‘ golden age when their QC was top notch and put them on the map.

Plus I loved the Taurus’s frame mounted safety/decocker that allowed you to carry Condition 1 if you wanted

No different in needing a 1911A1 Goobermint Model while also needing a Commander for CCW because that 1/2” can make a big difference with your draw

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    One gun I wish I'd had the common sense to hold onto was a Star BM 9mm pistol. One recent article said used ones are going for $400, which in my view is a bit excessive, but people get what they can.

The gun is perfect in size and weight, but when one takes one apart and holds the pieces in one's hands, they can be a bit rough. The Star PD is the .45ACP model and has an aluminum frame. A Guns & Ammo writer in an article this month said he had to change the buffer every 500 rounds, and by the time he put 2,000 rounds through it, it had begun to rattle when shook. I'd heard pretty much the same thing back in the 80s, when I had my Star. Mine had a steel frame, though, and I purposely didn't shoot it much.

If you can find a Star in good shape, they're outstanding guns! They were considered a great, inexpensive gun back in 80s, and I never met anyone who said, yeah, I had one. Meh, it was okay! People tended to keep them and put them in drawers. They also worked with 9mm JHPs, which was quite an asset at the time.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    One gun I wish I'd had the common sense to hold onto was a Star BM 9mm pistol. One recent article said used ones are going for $400, which in my view is a bit excessive, but people get what they can.

The gun is perfect in size and weight, but when one takes one apart and holds the pieces in one's hands, they can be a bit rough. The Star PD is the .45ACP model and has an aluminum frame. A Guns & Ammo writer in an article this month said he had to change the buffer every 500 rounds, and by the time he put 2,000 rounds through it, it had begun to rattle when shook. I'd heard pretty much the same thing back in the 80s, when I had my Star. Mine had a steel frame, though, and I purposely didn't shoot it much.

If you can find a Star in good shape, they're outstanding guns! They were considered a great, inexpensive gun back in 80s, and I never met anyone who said, yeah, I had one. Meh, it was okay! People tended to keep them and put them in drawers. They also worked with 9mm JHPs, which was quite an asset at the time.

A few weeks ago Dominion Defense in Springfield had a nice Star BM in the back that hadn't been put out for sale yet.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    A few weeks ago Dominion Defense in Springfield had a nice Star BM in the back that hadn't been put out for sale yet.
    I wish you hadn't told me that. I can't buy handguns in this miserable state because I never got the permit. If I had one, I'd probably buy the thing!

Those guns are superb. I have a S&W 3906 that's a much better gun, but you know how guns are. I have many guns I don't need.

Sigh .

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    I wish you hadn't told me that. I can't buy handguns in this miserable state because I never got the permit. If I had one, I'd probably buy the thing!

Those guns are superb. I have a S&W 3906 that's a much better gun, but you know how guns are. I have many guns I don't need.

Sigh .

Wouldn't a Star BM be C&R and thus HQL not needed?

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The 1st year of production is now C&R, as production started in 1972. Those will have a Q1 production code. The final year of production was 1992, with a production code of K2.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Say what you will about many Taraus products , but the M92 family is the exception that they have figured out , and do well . To many , they are actually preferable to the Beretta with their frame mounted safety .

Cowhand has his subcompact 9mm box checked off with his Shield 1.0 . How are you equipped for full size 9mm ? ( In this case , disregard the " compact " designation . A Compact M92 is modern era duty size .)

If you don't already have a full size 9mm , this could fill that slot for you .
    Yup, biggest problem carrying the M9 is you always had to check the safety it was easy to change the status by accident. The Taurus Beretta is a more traditional setup also more intuitive for people used to other pistols.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    IF anyone is interested.
    Got my new to me PT92 Compact out of 7 day wait jail, and wanted to share some pictures.
    This pistol is 29 years old. The seller told me that it is in mint condition.
    After closer inspection when I got it home I didn't expect this. It doesn't appear to have been shot, except at the factory.
    What appears to be wear marks are from the lousy lighting from my unprofessional picture taking.

Attachments

• 42289A4C-09CF-4457-9AA5-73FF5D23E042.jpeg
      42289A4C-09CF-4457-9AA5-73FF5D23E042.jpeg
      234.1 KB · Views: 45
    • ABCDFAEB-6FAB-45CB-9017-33890FBA142E.jpeg
      ABCDFAEB-6FAB-45CB-9017-33890FBA142E.jpeg
      252.8 KB · Views: 43
    • 6192A1F8-2F88-44F9-98D0-AF21A7FDD86E.jpeg
      6192A1F8-2F88-44F9-98D0-AF21A7FDD86E.jpeg
      77.5 KB · Views: 41
    • 746DABF5-7CC3-449A-88A1-2DC2702D4D93.jpeg
      746DABF5-7CC3-449A-88A1-2DC2702D4D93.jpeg