• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    A buddy of mine that I took shooting for recently for the first time just had heard a neighbor's house got broken into. He doesn't have any guns so he went to Dick's and bought a Maverick Model 88 because it was within his price range. From what I googled it looks like a slightly cheaper version of a Mossberg 500 which I would be fine with, anyone have any experience with this particular model? I'd like to let him know if there are any known issues with them.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    A buddy of mine that I took shooting for recently for the first time just had heard a neighbor's house got broken into. He doesn't have any guns so he went to Dick's and bought a Maverick Model 88 because it was within his price range. From what I googled it looks like a slightly cheaper version of a Mossberg 500 which I would be fine with, anyone have any experience with this particular model? I'd like to let him know if there are any known issues with them.

Owned one for many years. It is a bargain level Mossberg 500 made in Mexico, but will last as long as their US made guns.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Owned one for many years. It is a bargain level Mossberg 500 made in Mexico, but will last as long as their US made guns.

Of note, the only reason I parted with this gun was to move up in the Mossberg series, first to a plain Jane 500, then into the 590a1, the only pump gun currently certified for military use.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Bought one back in the mid 90's. No issues other than it DOES NOT fully interchange with the 500! Be aware of that little fact in case he wants to accessorize.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Bought one back in the mid 90's. No issues other than it DOES NOT fully interchange with the 500! Be aware of that little fact in case he wants to accessorize.

Good point, forend is not replaceable, and the safety is at the trigger guard rather than tang as in all other 500's. 500 buttstocks do work though.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have a buddy who's looking for a first gun as well. Are these pretty commonly in stock (big box stores or local shops), or are they getting eaten up by panic buyers too?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I have a Model 88. NO issues. Excellent shotgun for the money. Well made.
    Actually, the bluing is BETTER... than on a Pre-Remington Marlin lever gun that I HAD !!!!

I added a tactical 'Searchlight' to the mag tube and a recoil-reducing pistol grip stock. SUH-WEET !!! :)

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    I have not shot one, but they feel so cheap in the hand. The foregrip is so flimsy. I looked at them, thought about it, and went with a 500. IMHO for just a few $$ more, you get a MUCH better gun.

Mossberg 500 are $269 while a Maverick 88 is $219. It's worth the $50 extra for the Mossy. FYI Remington 870 are around $330.

hamrad

Dec 19, 2012
    I bought one about 2 weeks ago. Just had time to shoot it this weekend. Its a fine shotgun. Smooth action. Paid $199 at Wal Mart. Well worth the money.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    :banghead:

THey were $150 at dicks on black friday. I should have got one.
    The good price wasn't worth the aggravation of shoping at Dicks on Black Friday.

I have one. The stock looks and feels cheap. Also looks indestructible. Shoots OK. I would buy again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom