• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings,

I have a Mauser C96 Bolo in 7.63 Mauser and I enjoy shooting it. I recently replaced the springs with a Wolf kit. The bore has seen better days many many years ago. I can still see the twists and grooves but the bore is sorry condition. Does anyone know anyone that can repair this? I'm not sure I even want to because of the history. It's certainly not museum quality, it's just a cool piece of history that's fun to shoot. The left grip is worn smooth and the right one from the center down is too. The holster and stock are very well done reproductions. Thanks for any input. Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      106.7 KB · Views: 414
    • c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      104.2 KB · Views: 410
    • c3.jpg
      c3.jpg
      112 KB · Views: 499
    • c4.jpg
      c4.jpg
      113.4 KB · Views: 429
    • c5.jpg
      c5.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 486

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Here are two places that have advertised in Shotgun News for many years:
    The Gun Rack
    9184 NW CR225
    Starke Florida 32091 904 964 5053
    $80 to reline in either 9mm or 7.63,headspace and test fire. Hotblue for $70 more

Redman's
    189 Nichols, Omak, Wash 98841
    509 826 5512
    7.63 reline only--call for price

I have a bolo and 2 C96 (7.63 and red nine) that need new liners . I will be contacting them pretty soon. Have heard good things about theplace in Florida so will try them first.

BTW, the ATF used to get real snitty about stocks for these mausers--tookthe position that original stocks were ok but repro made mauser an SBR when installed--does anyone have any info on this?

Jul 1, 2012
    Pretty sure that's still the case, guns with original shoulder stocks installed are ok, but not repros.
    (Hi Power, Star A, Astra 900, Browning 1903, etc).

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Original stocks ok

Pretty sure that's still the case, guns with original shoulder stocks installed are ok, but not repros.
    (Hi Power, Star A, Astra 900, Browning 1903, etc).

That would be great as I have an interest in acquiring a High Power w shoulder stock sometime in the future...when my financial situation changes....:D

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    FALCONGUY Did you run into any problems with SBR restrictions when you purchased this? ANd if you wouldn't mind, about what kind of price range do these go for. They are pretty cool also, besides the HP ? Thanks for any info.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    BOLO barrel liner

I'll second 12a10. I had The Gun Rack reline my Bolo barrel about five years ago. They did a great job. I still can't hit anything with it even with the shoulder stock but that's my problem, not the pistol

FALCONGUY Did you run into any problems with SBR restrictions when you purchased this? ANd if you wouldn't mind, about what kind of price range do these go for. They are pretty cool also, besides the HP ? Thanks for any info.

Are you talking about the holster rig or the pistol? I got the holster/stock rig on eBay. I got the Mauser on Gunbroker. I don't use the stock when shooting, it isn't comfortable to use. I just use it as a holster. I don't remember what I paid for the Mauser. I think I paid around $200 for the stock/holster. The Mauser is C&R.

Here are two places that have advertised in Shotgun News for many years:
    The Gun Rack
    9184 NW CR225
    Starke Florida 32091 904 964 5053
    $80 to reline in either 9mm or 7.63,headspace and test fire. Hotblue for $70 more

Redman's
    189 Nichols, Omak, Wash 98841
    509 826 5512
    7.63 reline only--call for price

I have a bolo and 2 C96 (7.63 and red nine) that need new liners . I will be contacting them pretty soon. Have heard good things about theplace in Florida so will try them first.

BTW, the ATF used to get real snitty about stocks for these mausers--tookthe position that original stocks were ok but repro made mauser an SBR when installed--does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks for the info, I may have to give them a call.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    the ATF used to get real snitty about stocks for these mausers--tookthe position that original stocks were ok but repro made mauser an SBR when installed
    The ATF reversed their decision. Direct from an ATF letter:
    "ATF has previously determined that Mauser Model 1896 pistols with reproduction stocks, which duplicate or closely approximate the originals, have also been removed from the provisions of the NFA."
    IIRC, (C&R) hipowers and lugers are in the same category. Repo stocks are good to go.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    I really don't know. The bore on my C96 reminds me of the bore of my CZ82. It's almost a smooth bore. Does anyone know if this is normal for a C96? I'll try to get a picture of the bore.

C96 has conventional rifling. Most Chinese contract imports appear to be almost completely eroded through use of "hot" Russian submachine gun corrosive ammo and improper cleaning for 50 years. Believe CZ uses "polygonaL" barrel that is shaped to spin bullet --not conventional lands and grooves.

Good to hear about ATF letter on stocks. My C96 stock is stamped MAUSER and Germany so appears correct. Also have Inglis HP stock marked CANADA that has the C and arrow mark but another member said might be a repop. Nice to know that ATF has no problem with these "clone/tribute" parts made by Chinese slave labor...

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Don't want to monopolize this thread but offer on last bit of info: relining is always done on a 7.63 gun but sometimes a conversion to 9mm (red nine)involves re-cutting lands and grooves into barrel and cleaning up chamber to accept 9mm. Advantage of 9mm is its cheaper,more plentiful and doesnot beat the hell out of bolt parts that are subject to fatigue and breakage. That said , I know of no rednine bolo that can be proved "correct".

Last word--another way to restore C96 is to cut off original barrel ahead of chamber, drill for stepped and chambered replacement barrel and silver solder to upper frame--these replacement barrels were sold by SARCO 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom