• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    If you just buy the whole rifle now, you won't have to do the wait, or register it like a lower. If you were just going to buy a lower, and build later, you could just buy a whole rifle now, have it ready for use, and then swap uppers later on when you get to Virginia.

The correct MDS answer is to buy both...

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do a 14.5” barrel with mid length gas as a pistol with an SBA4 brace. A 14.5 mid is what all the cool kids are doing these days. By doing it as pistol, it’s MD legal without having to SBR (you can do that too since it exceeds the 29” OAL).

Then, when you get to VA, you can have an appropriate muzzle device pinned and welded to put a stock on it. You can also leave it as a pistol to be able to drive around the whole state with it loaded since it’s a handgun.

You could also just do a 11.5” barrel pistol. That’s a very handy size

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Do a 14.5” barrel with mid length gas as a pistol with an SBA4 brace. A 14.5 mid is what all the cool kids are doing these days. By doing it as pistol, it’s MD legal without having to SBR (you can do that too since it exceeds the 29” OAL).

Then, when you get to VA, you can have an appropriate muzzle device pinned and welded to put a stock on it. You can also leave it as a pistol to be able to drive around the whole state with it loaded since it’s a handgun.

Criterion makes perhaps one of the best mid-gas 14.5 barrels out there. They offer it in a hybrid profile (beefy M4) and a Core profile (their proprietary taper).

If I had to choose, I would probably go with the Core series.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Criterion makes perhaps one of the best mid-gas 14.5 barrels out there. They offer it in a hybrid profile (beefy M4) and a Core profile (their proprietary taper).

If I had to choose, I would probably go with the Core series.

I’m a fan of the Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile barrels. It’s tapered, kind of like the Criterion Core, but nitrided

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL

Guessing everyone forgot supreme leader northam and his reign of terror in va. None of that will probably be legal at that point.
    As far as the 2a is concerned if northam gets his way, md would be a better place.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    If you just buy the whole rifle now, you won't have to do the wait, or register it like a lower. If you were just going to buy a lower, and build later, you could just buy a whole rifle now, have it ready for use, and then swap uppers later on when you get to Virginia.
    So buying a lower requires a waiting process even if I don't register it as a pistol? as opposed to just the 20 minute in store background check for the off the shelf fully built rifle?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    this sounds cool but I am trying to avoid getting the HQL --> regarding the 14.5 barrel as pistol

No HQL needed to buy a lower. You just need to be 21 and willing to wait seven days. No HQL needed to possess a handgun either.

Lowers get papered out and state registered as an “other.” There’s no subsequent registration process that’s mandatory once you build it into a pistol or HBAR rifle

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I live in Maryland but plan to move to VA in the next few years. I have been waiting until I move to pick up an AR. I don't have much knowledge of the AR platform because of this.

Looking at Biden's gun plan, I am thinking I should try and get an AR in Maryland right now.

How much of a drawback comes between Maryland compliant firearms (29 inch length requirement, HBAR, etc) vs what I could get in Virginia assuming I can get something in VA in a few years?

Basically how much of a drawback is the HBAR specifically, as well as the other requirements? Since I am not familiar at all with this platform I don't know the real world difference between a HBAR or not, etc.

thanks!

I'm having trouble with your second paragraph. Are you assuming Biden is going to be #46?

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    I'm having trouble with your second paragraph. Are you assuming Biden is going to be #46?
    Yes, I currently think the risk of Biden being #46 is a lot higher than previously. If I thought Trump had this in the bag, I would wait for a few years until I lived in VA to get into the AR platform (though their own state laws changing is a different story).

Sirex