Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    No ventilation? It's been blowing like a hurricane every time I've been in there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TapaTalk

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I have had no problems at MSAR though I do wish they had a range officer. Some people have made me nervous there, especially people renting guns. I try to use the rifle range, the shooters there seem a little more experienced.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have had no problems at MSAR though I do wish they had a range officer. Some people have made me nervous there, especially people renting guns. I try to use the rifle range, the shooters there seem a little more experienced.

I only use the rifle range at MSAR for the same reason. The clownish rentagun wanna be gangstas can have the pistol side.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've always had good experiences at MSAR. I find the staff friendly and helpful. I always try to use the rifle side for the reasons stated.

My biggest complaint are the crowds and wait times. I usually try to go sometime during the middle of the week when I am able to take some time off of work.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I've always had good experiences at MSAR. I find the staff friendly and helpful. I always try to use the rifle side for the reasons stated.

My biggest complaint are the crowds and wait times. I usually try to go sometime during the middle of the week when I am able to take some time off of work.

After showing up at 10:10 on two Saturday's in a row and not getting to shoot after 2 1/2hours of waiting, I gave up on the weekends (waiting for rifle range). I only shoot on the rifle range based upon the comments I have read. I know a few of the staff and have spoken with the general manager that I know and have voiced my concerns regarding range officers as well as suggesting some type of membership that allows paid members to jump the line.

Both are things they are working on. I do know that the last time I was there I did have employees come through the range a few times over the two hours I was there.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    After showing up at 10:10 on two Saturday's in a row and not getting to shoot after 2 1/2hours of waiting, I gave up on the weekends (waiting for rifle range). I only shoot on the rifle range based upon the comments I have read. I know a few of the staff and have spoken with the general manager that I know and have voiced my concerns regarding range officers as well as suggesting some type of membership that allows paid members to jump the line.

Both are things they are working on. I do know that the last time I was there I did have employees come through the range a few times over the two hours I was there.

My experiences have all been good except for the lack of an eight day release prior to 10/1 causing me to have my Glock 30S transferred out of MSAR to Constitutional Firearms. They sold a bunch of range days on Groupon and that has caused major crowds on weekends. I agree a membership is the best thing they could do. I would buy it in a heartbeat. The unlimited shooting time is huge for me. I shoot for hours every time I go and bring many guns. The rifle side definitely caters to more experienced shooters and I never feel unsafe with the actions of others on that side. The pistol side is full of young inexperienced gun renters holding guns sideways and emptying mags pray and spray style.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've asked about membership a few times and they say they are working on it but it has been over a year since the new range opened. They did have membership at the old range so hopefully if enough people keep asking they will put something decent in place.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Spent an hour and half waiting on a land for the rifle side. The place was extremely busy today. The staff was also checking ammo with a magnet. Making sure that no one uses steel core ammo.

They do not allow Wolf... Trying to explain the difference between steel core vs steel cased ammo is a moot point. Is it hard to understand that wolf is steel cased but does not have a steel core?

Anyways, got to spend a couple of hours with my daughter and some friends at th range. Took the HKs and FN rifles for a spin. Got to do a functional check on an MP5 SD and a PS90 SBR.

A buddy got good with the Tac con trigger... Its almost as fast as a Bren gun.

Overall, it was an okay afternoon.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I bought some of the ticket books. You get five range passes, but only pay for four. A 20% discount and a free t-shirt seemed like a good deal. I would rather see a membership.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I bought some of the ticket books. You get five range passes, but only pay for four. A 20% discount and a free t-shirt seemed like a good deal. I would rather see a membership.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Yep.. I'm still waiting for membership.. But then again.. Already a member on another range. It's good to have access to indoor range during bad weathers.

ptman2000

Aug 19, 2013
    Riva, MD
    I've only gone to the rifle range at MSAR. After waiting for several hours one Saturday, i try to only go on off times or get there early. A membership would be great!

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Was there Saturday. Waited for 30 minutes. Was 15 behind the rifle and 15 behind the pistol. After 30 minutes only one increment in the number. Ouch! So I left. They said people on the rifle range had been there since they opened. That would have been about 4 hours. I enjoy shooting, but not for 4 hours.

Pistoleros45

Jan 26, 2013
    Landover, Maryland
    If you see un-safe behavior and non-safe gun handling at MSAR just report it to the staff and they will do something about it. I have reported bad gun handling which led the staff to ask a patron to leave. I have also requested to be given another shooting location because of the so call gun-slingers who know nothing about gun safety. I report un-safe gun handling to help keep people from harm. This is the only way to make any shooting range safe. We not only must fight for gun rights but also gun safety!
    Utah CFP
    Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit
    MSI
    Maryland Shooters
    NRA Member

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is it hard to understand that wolf is steel cased but does not have a steel core?
    Hacksaw one in half as a demonstration model for when you go?

Anyway, as far as other comments, I have only been on the rifle side at the new location; and have not observed any unsafe weapon handling. It may be worse on the pistol side.

Don't ever bother going to MSAR on a Saturday/weekend unless you're there at opening. Otherwise you have no one else to blame for wasting your time.

pc1256

Jan 21, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I been to them on a weekday with a couple lanes opened, but Saturday, you better be ready to wait.

The staff seemed a bit clueless from time to time, but they are helpful.
    Their rifle lanes are nice, great ventilation, I have to wear heavy cause of it. And people shooting rifles seems more organized than the pistol side.
    But yeah... about those funky pistol handling, it's true, I only go there for rifles after what I have seen.

Last edited:

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    i always shoot in their rifle range. always been good experience. i always check out other shooters how they handle their firearms. if i notice unsafe gun handling, i would respectfully remind them and if they repeat it again, i will tell the people at the counter and i've seen people were ask to leave.

hungryjoseph

Apr 23, 2013
    My only gripe about MSAR is that they don't allow bi-metal ammo. I've always shot Wolf/Tula/Golden Tiger at Colonial in Richmond with no problem, had a bit of a rude awakening when I brought some boxes to MSAR my first time there. Colonial was the only indoor range I shot at before MSAR so I didn't know the "magnet test" was a big thing.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I was there at opening on Thursday. Ventilation came on about 15 minutes after I got there and then the heat finally came on 15 minutes after that. Ventilation is so strong, that you have to weigh down your spare targets or they end up down range. Only problem I had was that a female student next to me was standing too far forward and her ejections were hitting me in my lane. I could actually see her Glock. I politely mentioned this to her instructor and he had her move back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom