• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Ours in DC don't. We can only get that info from an actual NCIC return which doesn't show for our hits.

MD's system will include registration violations including emissions, suspended for insurance violations, and suspended for failing to complete a repair order.

The information is not "live" and whatever information the tag reader gives you needs to be verified through MVA/NCIC or whatever it is alerting to.

It also stores the Lat. Long. and picture of the plate. There was legislation passed this year in MD to monitor the users, checks, and retention of the data. MD made it a criminal offense to access or use the tag reader information outside "official purposes".

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    MD's system will include registration violations including emissions, suspended for insurance violations, and suspended for failing to complete a repair order.

The information is not "live" and whatever information the tag reader gives you needs to be verified through MVA/NCIC or whatever it is alerting to.

It also stores the Lat. Long. and picture of the plate. There was legislation passed this year in MD to monitor the users, checks, and retention of the data. MD made it a criminal offense to access or use the tag reader information outside "official purposes".

Actually ours might be able to do that as well. We usually turn that crap off because I already hate the read beep.....I don't need extra non felony noise.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County

Apparently not completely correct.

We bought a car in March from a dealer and financed it through them. Somehow, unbeknownst (sp?) to us, MVA had registered the car to us at our previous address where we haven't lived for 2 years now. We long ago changed all of our license information to the new address, but either the dealer who sent the MVA stuff in (of course, our copies of the dealer docs show the correct address) or the MVA screwed up our address.

So fast forward a few months. MVA has sent emissions paperwork to our old address and it did not forward, since we haven't lived there in so long. Then the tags got flagged or cancelled or whatever due to not getting tested.

Then in August, my wife gets pulled over, after dropping our youngest off in the morning, by a Park Police officer of all people. He pulled her over SPECIFICALLY because her tags were dead or flagged (not sure of the correct term) due to the emissions thing. She explained that she had no idea that the emissions were due or that there was a problem. Oh well, tell it to the judge, here is your $150 ticket for driving on dead tags. He said his reader alerted him.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Apparently not completely correct.

We bought a car in March from a dealer and financed it through them. Somehow, unbeknownst (sp?) to us, MVA had registered the car to us at our previous address where we haven't lived for 2 years now. We long ago changed all of our license information to the new address, but either the dealer who sent the MVA stuff in (of course, our copies of the dealer docs show the correct address) or the MVA screwed up our address.

So fast forward a few months. MVA has sent emissions paperwork to our old address and it did not forward, since we haven't lived there in so long. Then the tags got flagged or cancelled or whatever due to not getting tested.

Then in August, my wife gets pulled over, after dropping our youngest off in the morning, by a Park Police officer of all people. He pulled her over SPECIFICALLY because her tags were dead or flagged (not sure of the correct term) due to the emissions thing. She explained that she had no idea that the emissions were due or that there was a problem. Oh well, tell it to the judge, here is your $150 ticket for driving on dead tags. He said his reader alerted him.

What I said is 100% correct.

It's not live system. It gets updated often from MVA files that's why the information needs to be verified from the actual database and the police can't just pull you over off of the license plate reader alone. They need to verify the information before doing a stop.

It doesn't cross check MVA active files...it uses information MVA uploaded at a previous time.

So yes his reader alerted him to the suspended tags but that all the system did. It didn't verify it through MVA which a live database would. He would have to check your tag after the alert to determine if the suspension was still valid.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What I said is 100% correct.

It's not live system. It gets updated often from MVA files that's why the information needs to be verified from the actual database and the police can't just pull you over off of the license plate reader alone. They need to verify the information before doing a stop.

It doesn't cross check MVA active files...it uses information MVA uploaded at a previous time.

So yes his reader alerted him to the suspended tags but that all the system did. It didn't verify it through MVA which a live database would. He would have to check your tag after the alert to determine if the suspension was still valid.

My misunderstanding then. That clarifies it, thanks.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I don't think they are deliberately pulling over out of state permit holders...but if they are speeding and they notice they have a CCW, OF COURSE they will harass them. Its up to the discretion of each individual officer, but I'm sure their are a few jackasses that exploit the CCW and use it to harass people and deliver extra charges or use it to justify a otherwise illegal search. Maybe they don't like the idea of an armed citizen? They are, after all a trooper in a fascist state...

Thats very possible, I know a couple Baltimore County LEO that don't believe citizens should own guns.

Feb 28, 2013
    What of Utah permit holders? Many of us are.

I traverse the ft mchenry and harbor tunnels and the key bridge frequently with pro gun stickers all over my vehicle and also hold a Utah non-res permit, hql, and have registered firearms. I haven't been pulled over in 4 years and that was before I owned firearms (and the officer read my tag wrong at that).

I don't buy it that these people are being targeted solely for their carry permits.

I've had my UT permit for better than a year now, and FL for about 3 months, and have not became any type of special target for question by LEO's. So I don't buy that theory either.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    You more than anyone should know there's still garbage being written, esp for .gov and .md.gov

Yeah, didn't MD flush around 500M on their cardboard cutout of a healthcare website? Pretty sure that was mainly due to coding issues.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    :tinfoil: How hard would it be to write some code to link the Scorpion data collection to all other "registered" data? There's an app for that!

"The Maryland officer asked Mr. Kramer’s client whether he had a gun in the car, and once the man acknowledged he did, the officer arrested him for having the gun and the cartridge in the same locked container — not separated, as per Maryland law."

wanted to bring this up again, just doesn't make sense.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    The story referenced is in regards to the MDTA Police. Contrary to popular belief everyone in that department is not a D!@%. I have had bad experiences with LEO's from MSP, federal, county, and local agencies. Does that group a whole agency/department into a single group of disliked agencies/departments? Not in a million years. There is high number od members of other agencies/departments that I get along with very well and we back each other up on calls or traffic stops. Just because one MDTA officer chooses not to use his discretion on out of state permits doesn't mean the whole agency is that way. I am speaking from first hand experience. If anyone on here would ever meet me in person then they would know I'm just as Pro-2A as anyone else on here. My gun arrest have all been for prohibited possession by convicted criminals or for the guns being stolen. My discretion is used wisely. I'm not wasting my time on a permit holder just to get a stat for a gun arrest.

As far as the case involving the so-called License Plate Reader stop and the search, the media and the driver have the facts twisted. The officer made a stop for the described violations. During the initial contact he noticed the driver's CCW in plain view in his wallet and detected the odor of burnt Marijuana emanating from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The odor of Marijuana gave him probable cause to search regardless of noticing the permit or obtaining a statement from the wife. At that time the gun does become a concern due to a possible CDS violation. The stop and the search was based off the officer's observations and roadside interview not a LPR. The LPR does not alert an officer to in state or out of state permit holders despite what the foil hat conspiracy theorist believe. As I stated before just because this one officer was involved in both referenced stories does not mean this is an agency wide practice.

Also I recommend doing what was posted above about signing up for a ride along. You will not get the full scope of what a LEO does in a 8 hour block of time, but at least you get a chance to see things from that side of the fence before just making blanket statements without any facts to back up a statement.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    The story referenced is in regards to the MDTA Police. Contrary to popular belief everyone in that department is not a D!@%. I have had bad experiences with LEO's from MSP, federal, county, and local agencies. Does that group a whole agency/department into a single group of disliked agencies/departments? Not in a million years. There is high number od members of other agencies/departments that I get along with very well and we back each other up on calls or traffic stops. Just because one MDTA officer chooses not to use his discretion on out of state permits doesn't mean the whole agency is that way. I am speaking from first hand experience. If anyone on here would ever meet me in person then they would know I'm just as Pro-2A as anyone else on here. My gun arrest have all been for prohibited possession by convicted criminals or for the guns being stolen. My discretion is used wisely. I'm not wasting my time on a permit holder just to get a stat for a gun arrest.

As far as the case involving the so-called License Plate Reader stop and the search, the media and the driver have the facts twisted. The officer made a stop for the described violations. During the initial contact he noticed the driver's CCW in plain view in his wallet and detected the odor of burnt Marijuana emanating from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The odor of Marijuana gave him probable cause to search regardless of noticing the permit or obtaining a statement from the wife. At that time the gun does become a concern due to a possible CDS violation. The stop and the search was based off the officer's observations and roadside interview not a LPR. The LPR does not alert an officer to in state or out of state permit holders despite what the foil hat conspiracy theorist believe. As I stated before just because this one officer was involved in both referenced stories does not mean this is an agency wide practice.

Also I recommend doing what was posted above about signing up for a ride along. You will not get the full scope of what a LEO does in a 8 hour block of time, but at least you get a chance to see things from that side of the fence before just making blanket statements without any facts to back up a statement.
    I remember meeting you and will attest that you are a decent guy and a professional lawman.

Thanks for doing what you do.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    :tinfoil: How hard would it be to write some code to link the Scorpion data collection to all other "registered" data? There's an app for that!

"The Maryland officer asked Mr. Kramer’s client whether he had a gun in the car, and once the man acknowledged he did, the officer arrested him for having the gun and the cartridge in the same locked container — not separated, as per Maryland law."

wanted to bring this up again, just doesn't make sense.

Do we know results in this case?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yes, because locking guns and ammo in a locked case would exceed MD law. MD on requires an enclosed holster or a case, not locks.

Nothing in MD law requires separation. Now if the gun was loaded, that would be illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom