• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ...Chances are you'll be fine, but I avoid intentionally exposing an open cut to the water in the bay, just like I filter stream water before drinking because I really don't want to experience Giardia.

Here's one example of why not to do that. In the grand scheme of things, it's not affecting that many people, but I don't want to be one of them if I can avoid it.

I've had more cuts, bites, spines, and even a few fish hook impalements, but this was my whole point.

I just put a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the boat's first aid kit...

....The bay is full of some really nasty stuff, and if you get spined by a rockfish or white perch in the wrong stretch of water, it could be very debilitating.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/DEE/Waterborne/skininfections.htm

Attachments

• DSCF0006small.JPG
      DSCF0006small.JPG
      44.9 KB · Views: 201

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    pull it out, slap a band on it, and hold a beer to keep down the swelling

It was more like: Pull it out, slap a band on it, and chug a beer to kill the pain.
    :D

But seriously, holding a cold beverage on it would have been a good idea, but after pulling the hook, I rubbed an alcohol wipe on it, wrapped ice in a paper towel and held it on the would, put a band aid on it, and continued catching flounder.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    It was more like: Pull it out, slap a band on it, and chug a beer to kill the pain.
    :D

But seriously, holding a cold beverage on it would have been a good idea, but after pulling the hook, I rubbed an alcohol wipe on it, wrapped ice in a paper towel and held it on the would, put a band aid on it, and continued catching flounder.

wife did the same with a 4/0 circle hook
    made me take her to the ER, then back to fishing

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    almost forgot
    WEAR sunglasses, preferably polarized, i prefer amber

google 'hook in eye' and you will wear them

Polarized are key, as it allows you to see fish so you can best present the bait. The safety thing is a huge bonus, especially with three anglers casting jigs during the awesome pandemonium known as breaking fish and working birds.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Carry a small bottle of bleach. That will kill anything that goes into an open wound. And as an added bonus, it hurts like hell!

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I have a hatchet for amputations and a blowtorch to cauterize the stump.

Just use one of the blue fish you catch to amputate the appendage, then cauterize the wound by lighting the bay water on fire and holding your stump over the open flame.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I am not a serious fisherman but one of the most enjoyable activities is chartering a boat out of Deal in the fall, bottom fishing for spot / perch, and then using those caught baitfish to live line for Rockfish. All while drinking beers at 7:00 am.

Doesn't get much better than days like that.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Carry a small bottle of bleach. That will kill anything that goes into an open wound. And as an added bonus, it hurts like hell!

A 10:1 mixture of bleach to water is sufficient. It's what they use for mold abatement. Still hurts like hell

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    and you will find brands you like
    for me its penn reels and st croix rods

All of my serious fishing friends use these combos. I'm Just trying to get back into fishing after 40 years away. I picked up a St Croix rod in Dicks, flexed the tip and it snapped right off. Bought 2 Ugly Stick combos, light and med actions. Heavy but durable for my clumsy butt. I'll probably get the Penn Fierce II for a surf rod.
    Edit, I returned the Ugly Stick combos and just bought the Ugly Stick rods and 2 Shimano reels on sale.

Last edited:

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    +1 on glasses just the other day I gave a jerk back on a line that was caught in some grass and it went flying straight into my eye. It was one of these.

3067ecab0e4734bc5201cbcdf7062382.jpg

I can't believe it smacked me just right, it didn't hook anything... I know how lucky I was, it hit hard enough to be felt the next day. From here on, glasses are a must.

On another note, here is a shot from today. failed day for me, had 4 hits and lost everyone. I think my frog lure is too big for whatever was hitting it.

13537654_1095232737215766_5994738365971923219_n.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sun, eye, or safety glasses; will do, check!

Looks like another great day fishing for you guys. I shot IDPA today and it went long; even though I drank probably 1.5 gallons of water, I'm exhausted, didn't make it fishing today, but this weekend is looking good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom