• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Yes, you are correct on FOPA.

For a MD resident with CCW permits from other states, it is quite relevant.

As far as the difference between designated and bona fide, yes, they are 2 different things. However is is the designation as a collector from the MSP that makes you a ( bona fide ) collector. Bona fide means to be in good faith, to be real, to have credentials as to the matter.

At least, that's what some people think. Who knows what could happen in court, and I think that is your point, and you would be correct.

I did some digging hoping to find something on it, could not find absolute clarification but found something of equal interest.

Gansler's brief to the 4th circuit court of appeals on the Woolard case has some very interesting lingo coming straight from the horses mouth. See below.

The only conduct subject to the good-and-substantial-reason requirement is:
    (1) the wear, carry, or transport (2) of handguns, which are easily-concealable and
    highly-lethal, (3) in public, (4) in circumstances unconnected with hunting,
    organized military activities, target shoots, target practice, sport shooting events,
    certain safety classes, trapping, or the moving of a gun collection, and (5) without
    any demonstrable self-defense or other justification. The appropriate inquiry,
    therefore, is whether the Second Amendment protects this specific conduct, not
    whether it extends beyond the home in any form at all.

STATEMENT OF FACTS
    A. Maryland Handgun Wear-and-Carry Permits
    Under Maryland law, individuals qualified to own a firearm are allowed,
    without a permit, to possess, wear, carry, and transport a handgun within their
    home, business, or any property they own. CL § 4-203(b)(6). Individuals are also
    allowed, without a permit, to wear, carry, or transport a handgun in public in
    connection with, among other activities:

hunting, trapping, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, a
    sport shooting event, certain firearms and hunter safety classes, or an
    organized military activity, CL § 4-203(b)(4);

the moving of a gun collection for exhibition by a bona fide gun
    collector, CL § 4-203(b)(5);

a supervisory employee’s activities in the course of business under
    certain conditions, CL § 4-203(b)(7); and

while transporting the handgun, unloaded and secured, between places
    or activities where the individual is allowed to possess it, including
    the place of legal purchase or sale, a bona fide repair shop, residences,
    and businesses, CL § 4-203(b)(3).
    Aside from these and other statutorily protected places and activities, Maryland
    law generally requires a permit to wear and carry a handgun in public.
    CL § 4-203(a), (b)(2).

I find it interesting that he actually affirms that the 2 a does extend beyond the home, it is the context in which it does that he challenges, this makes him, and the State appear to be much less ( anti ) in the perception of whomever he pitches this to. He continues this by trying to paint a picture of the typical MD citizen being able to do just about anything firearm wise ( except ) wear and carry a loaded pistol in a public place. Point being, the
    ( bona fide ) collector status is only one of several ways and means ( according to the AG ) in which a MD citizen can transport firearms. The difference here is if you are a collector, you can do it if you are going to an exhibition, formal or informal. Someone going to target practice, can do the same thing, with no requirement of being a designated ( or bona fide ) target shooter being required. Either way, I think most of these practices would get you in hot water with the office that pulled you over and discovered a handgun in your backseat, regardless of how it was being transported, who you claimed to be and what you claimed to be doing.

Given that this is written by the AG in a brief that was used successfully to overturn a Federal Courts previous decision, I would think that gives what he states in here legal precedent, but who knows.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sorry, I do not agree. Since you can be a designated collector with NO FIREARMS, how does that make you a bona fide collector???????

And remember the purpose of the designated collector is SOLELY to purchase more than one regulated firearm every 30 days. That is why it came about and that is ALL that it does.

If it makes you feel better to carry a copy, go for it.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Sorry, I do not agree. Since you can be a designated collector with NO FIREARMS, how does that make you a bona fide collector???????

And remember the purpose of the designated collector is SOLELY to purchase more than one regulated firearm every 30 days. That is why it came about and that is ALL that it does.

Well it would be kind of hard to be put in a position of having to assert your status as a
    ( bona fide ) collector, with no firearms, now, wouldn't it.

If your employer promotes you to purchasing agent, and your official title says
    ( purchasing agent ) the you are a bona fide purchasing agent, even if you have not yet made any purchases.

If your baseball coach makes you a ( designated hitter ) then you are a bona fide designated hitter.

Massachusetts actually has a ( bona fide ) collector status, assigned just as the DC is here. In a State where your gun purchase application comes back as ( not dissaproved ) I do not expect everything to make crystal clear perfect sense. One could say that not dissaproved, does not mean approved.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying that it stands to reason, that the DC would make you bona fide. Since we live in an unreasonable State, I would not bet anything on it nor would I wear, carry or transport under the DC guidelines, just asking for trouble.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Got my APPROVAL letter today!!!

Dropped it in the mail on the 1st, with the 6th as the approval date.

11 days to my door, sweet!!!

carnovosh

Feb 15, 2009
    I've searched several pages and haven't been able to find the answer to this, so maybe someone can help.. I've have my approval letter since 2009 and have moved permanently since then. I realize this doesn't expire, but do I need to re-apply or notify them of the permanent address change?

Thanks in advance

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't know the answer, but since the only thing that happens is the FFL checks a box on the 77r, it wouldn't seem like a requirement. I can't find anything in COMAR requiring it.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

I don't think it is "SOLELY to purchase more than one regulated firearm every 30 days". Without a D-C letter, card, whatever you get, I do not think it would be legal in Maryland, for you to walk across the street with your handgun to show it to a friend. But if you are a D-C, then you could do so legally, under the allowance for an informal exhibition. Please correct me if that is not the case.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I don't think it is "SOLELY to purchase more than one regulated firearm every 30 days". Without a D-C letter, card, whatever you get, I do not think it would be legal in Maryland, for you to walk across the street with your handgun to show it to a friend. But if you are a D-C, then you could do so legally, under the allowance for an informal exhibition. Please correct me if that is not the case.
    As with anything else there is no guarantee you wouldn't be arrested. I doubt you would be convicted. I certainly wouldn't advertise it. Be prepared to hire a lawyer if you run into the wrong cop.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

DC letter does NOT make you a bona fide collector.

This has been discussed many times. While it may help you, having one handgun and a DC letter does not make one a collector. While having a collection of say 20 WWII German military pistols, but NO DC letter, would make you a bona fide collector.

The ONLY defined purpose of a DC letter is to limited to one regulated firearm every 30 days.

The question is, did the DC letter even exist before the one gun a month law? As the transport requirements were there before that.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust

As with anything else there is no guarantee you wouldn't be arrested. I doubt you would be convicted. I certainly wouldn't advertise it. Be prepared to hire a lawyer if you run into the wrong cop.
    :thumbsup:

This has been discussed many times. While it may help you, having one handgun and a DC letter does not make one a collector. While having a collection of say 20 WWII German military pistols, but NO DC letter, would make you a bona fide collector.

The ONLY defined purpose of a DC letter is to limited to one regulated firearm every 30 days.

The question is, did the DC letter even exist before the one gun a month law? As the transport requirements were there before that.
    :thumbsup:

I wouldn't wanna try it. and like Boundless said, if you wanna try it, be ready to pay for it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

So if a collector had only one diamond and the diamond was "the Hope diamond", he would not be a collector? I disagree. It depends on the situation which is why a lawyer may come in handy.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you have zero you are not yet a collector of guns diamonds or coins, but merely a potential collector. No one in this thread said someone with only one is not a collector, nor that MSP denies applicants with only one.

As I understand it, MSP goes ahead once you have ONE; the denial is when you have none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom