• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin

terrific! I appreciate the fast and thorough reply.

thanks for great resources too. I have almost finished reading all the threads on this board :lol2:

Dan-o

fly in the wall
    Dec 6, 2009
    Hagerstown
    I cant prove specific threats just that I could be targeted due to the fact that I can if harmed grant access to Morphine, Versed, Narcan, and Haldol..... Same logic that if I carried large sums of money I could be rolled by a bum with a high taste for courvoisier or gallons of Goldshlager....

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    I got mine on the narcotics angle. I'm and MD, and they had no problems giving me one. Interesting a PA on the board went with the same angle, and was denied. Who knows. Maybe I'll get denied this time around......

The "magic" list seems to be:

Elected Officials
    Doctors
    Lawyers (especially prosecutors & Defense Attorneys)
    Business owners who deal in large cash transactions (E.g. Pawn shops, restaurants)
    Certain FFL License holders (no C&R won't get you one)

Even then there are restrictions: You must be on your way to/in between work-home-bank

Very rarely - the average Joe who somehow has managed to survive a deadly encounter and can document the criminals are still after him. (here Mr criminal - would you sign this affidavit stating you are going to come back and finish the job? - retarded)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The "magic" list seems to be:

Elected Officials
    Doctors
    Lawyers (especially prosecutors & Defense Attorneys)
    Business owners who deal in large cash transactions (E.g. Pawn shops, restaurants)
    Certain FFL License holders (no C&R won't get you one)

Even then there are restrictions: You must be on your way to/in between work-home-bank

Very rarely - the average Joe who somehow has managed to survive a deadly encounter and can document the criminals are still after him. (here Mr criminal - would you sign this affidavit stating you are going to come back and finish the job? - retarded)

Between business owners, law enforcement, retired law enforcement, corrections and judiciary, and security guard you have something like 70% of the permits issued.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Dan-O, is this a strategy you plan to employ, or have already (successfully)?

Kashmir, I can assure you that simply being a professional on the magic list does not qualify for the magic. While several are specifically listed on the form itself, and many permit holders fall into those categories (as Norton clarified), it is not a clear pass. I know more than one disgruntled MD citizen who is "supposed" to get the magic pass, and has been denied, run around by MSP, denied appeals, etc., just like the common folk! ;)

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Side note, my Utah permit was sitting in my mailbox!

Thought I would share.

TopShot0352

Feb 5, 2011
    Gettysburg
    Just wondering how PA potentially going Constitutional Carry will help MD residents? Since PA is an open carry state anyway (you don't need a permit) However for $20 every five years I got mine because I don't want to deal with the hassle of open carry.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Just wondering how PA potentially going Constitutional Carry will help MD residents? Since PA is an open carry state anyway (you don't need a permit) However for $20 every five years I got mine because I don't want to deal with the hassle of open carry.

It just furthers our case that Maryland's gun laws are not the norm in this country and it would be hitting close to home.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great page to read about Constitutional Carry: http://www.gunlaws.com/ConstitutionalCarryEnacted.htm

"According to MSNBC, some six million Americans have permits and carry discreetly. The fears of shootouts at stop lights, bullets for slow waiters and Wild West-style belligerence have been repeatedly proven false and dispelled as hoplophobic fantasies. Statistics have shown that crime uniformly drops when states reduce infringements on the right of law-abiding people to keep and bear arms. "Society is safer when criminals don't know who's armed," according to the California-based civil rights group, crpa.org."

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act

Sorry to say you have NO chance. Take it from a former MSP of 7 years who can't get one here. :mad54:

As you probably already know, if at any point, now or in the future, you have an aggregate of 10 years of previous service as a gun-carrying law enforcement officer -- and it does not all have to be with the same agency -- you would most likely the qualify for the privilege conferred by the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act [18 U.S.C. Sec. 926(B) and 926(C)]. The original 2004 law required 15 years aggregate service, but in 2010 Congress lowered the requirement to 10 years. Once you qualify under LEOSA, you can carry concealed in any state without a state-issued permit.

A pretty decent summary of the law appears here:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275292839

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Dan-O, is this a strategy you plan to employ, or have already (successfully)?

Kashmir, I can assure you that simply being a professional on the magic list does not qualify for the magic. While several are specifically listed on the form itself, and many permit holders fall into those categories (as Norton clarified), it is not a clear pass. I know more than one disgruntled MD citizen who is "supposed" to get the magic pass, and has been denied, run around by MSP, denied appeals, etc., just like the common folk! ;)

Sorry - I wasn't saying you will get one if you are on the magic list, but it does seem like you need to be on the magic list if you stand any chance at all. At least that seems to be the case - the only people I know who managed to get one fell into one or more of those categories.

I don't think Paramedic gets you there, (although the idea of lockdown for the meds is interesting) Also the station may have specific rules regarding weapons carry in the unit.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    As you probably already know, if at any point, now or in the future, you have an aggregate of 10 years of previous service as a gun-carrying law enforcement officer -- and it does not all have to be with the same agency -- you would most likely the qualify for the privilege conferred by the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act [18 U.S.C. Sec. 926(B) and 926(C)]. The original 2004 law required 15 years aggregate service, but in 2010 Congress lowered the requirement to 10 years. Once you qualify under LEOSA, you can carry concealed in any state without a state-issued permit.

A pretty decent summary of the law appears here:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275292839
    I still think that law is skewed. 10 Years? I know 15 was dumb as balls, but 10 is no better. I have 11 and some change but I think fairly 5 should be enough.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Sorry - I wasn't saying you will get one if you are on the magic list, but it does seem like you need to be on the magic list if you stand any chance at all. At least that seems to be the case - the only people I know who managed to get one fell into one or more of those categories.

I don't think Paramedic gets you there, (although the idea of lockdown for the meds is interesting) Also the station may have specific rules regarding weapons carry in the unit.

Nice that this isn't really so relevant now :):party29::cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom