• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The reason for 2 versions is so you don't have to embarrass yourself every time you show it if you have an OTH. Not even sure if I kept my short version.

Edit to clarify: I think that's what he's talking about - 2 1-page versions of the same document. One includes character of service, the other doesn't.

I dunno. Maybe you should be embarrassed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I was honorable but lost everything but the one thing I have. And I only have it because my parents had a copy.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Damn. I just checked my DD214 that I submitted. It is a copy 1 and I don't have a copy 4 so I guess I'll be getting the email too when they get around to my application. I just requested a new, complete one online but only the .gov knows how long that will take. :( It is the only one I've had since I retired in'93.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Damn. I just checked my DD214 that I submitted. It is a copy 1 and I don't have a copy 4 so I guess I'll be getting the email too when they get around to my application. I just requested a new, complete one online but only the .gov knows how long that will take. :( It is the only one I've had since I retired in'93.
    You can request a copy, member-7

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    You can request a copy, member-7

I requested "complete" at the NPRC link they gave me, but I'll check this one too. Thanks.

Edit: The first link I went first got me this response with a differentlink.: The link they gave seems to be the same as yours, thanks again. Different link but ended in the same place for request.

Your request for Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) Information has been processed.
    However, unfortunately your record is not held in the Service digital image OMPF repository database. It is recommended that you initiate a request for your OMPF information to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) using this eVetRecs website at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Remember the giant fire that destroyed most of the VA records.? The effect of that is still with us

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Remember the giant fire that destroyed most of the VA records.? The effect of that is still with us

The major loss of records was primarily in the following areas:

ArmyPersonnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 196080%
    Air ForcePersonnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964
    (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
    75%

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I apologize if I missed this. The application I am filling out still is asking to upload personal protection documentation. What am I supposed to upload?

TIA

EDIT: Looks like MSI website instructs not to upload anything. Not sure if the application will let you go to the next page without doing so or if it will show "not complete" or something. Not at a point to get past there yet.

Last edited:

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    This is MSP nick picking a way to delay or deny. Someone needs to notify MSI.

If you have a member 4 section directly below the member 1 section that has a block 24 “character of service “ and it says Honorable or even General under Honorable Conditions you have a DD214 recognized by the federal government as a honorable discharge. Had this long discussion at the VA hospital with a guy that had brain damage from IEDs and flipped out afterwards and got a general under honorable. He became homeless because he thought he did not qualify for VA benefits. That was years ago he got his treatment and he is a productive member of society with a wife and three kids.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I apologize if I missed this. The application I am filling out still is asking to upload personal protection documentation. What am I supposed to upload?

TIA

EDIT: Looks like MSI website instructs not to upload anything. Not sure if the application will let you go to the next page without doing so or if it will show "not complete" or something. Not at a point to get past there yet.
    The portal lets you go to the next page and does not flag "personal protection documentation" as missing.

MSP guidance also says nothing needs to be attached, IIRC. G&S no longer exists.

Superman

Jun 10, 2020
    My modification was approved!! Submitted 6/28...Accepted 7/11......Approved 7/12. Should receive new card in 5-7 business days.

MRH

Never sell your sword
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 5, 2020
    Chesapeake Bay
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed, submitted on July 7th, accepted July 12th, next step is assigned to a background investigator, so I wait...

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    A couple of questions for when my training is complete:
    I read the informative thread on the MSI website. It says contact information is required "... of current spouse, significant other, co-inhabitant, or most recent partner within the last five years" I have been divorced more than 5 years and have not had a girlfriend in that time. I believe the appropriate response is "NA" Agree?

I have read discussions elsewhere on these forums requiring references from employers. Is that required or is it only for G&S related to employment? If I apply for " self defense" do I need an employer reference?

Also, is there a way I can use my iphone to take a passport photo of myself or do I need to go to a service?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom