• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This was predicted-- it means that the AG is requesting to have the ruling not take effect until after the appeals process is completed.

Delegate Mike Smigiel posted the AG's request for Stay here:
    http://delegatemike.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Motion-for-Stay-Final-as-filed-11.pdf

Here's the post on his page:
    http://delegatemike.com/?p=2973

Here's the tweet from Smigiel:
    Michael Smigiel
    MD AG filed a motion for stay in the Woollard case today! Go to http://t.co/ByeJtxw6 to read the op
    #politics
    #repubs
    #cons

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Oh yeah; we all knew this was coming.

I'm also interested they've asked for clarification on the ruling.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I don't think the Stay or clarification will come soon or as fast as AG filed..
    So have 30 days or so to put in application... I'm working on mine.

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Hopefully the right people smart enough to think.... if "nothing was broken" (in their eyes) with the concealed gun license requirements last week... why would they need to create new legislation to have additional training or anything else now that the G&S was removed from the requirements. The current requirements were good enough for "public safety" before... there should be no change now.

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    gansler says a Stay would allow:

A stay would also permit the Maryland General Assembly to consider whether to
    enact legislation in response to this Court’s decision that might address, in whole or in
    part, the grounds on which this Court has held the law unconstitutional while providing
    more protection for public safety than would a wholesale abandonment of the “good and
    substantial reason” requirement for permits to wear and carry handguns.

what an ass!!

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Hopefully the right people smart enough to think.... if "nothing was broken" (in their eyes) with the concealed gun license requirements last week... why would they need to create new legislation to have additional training or anything else now that the G&S was removed from the requirements. The current requirements were good enough for "public safety" before... there should be no change now.

I think Gansler is whining. :innocent0

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    "Well, we don't have to change anything cause you didn't tell us exactly what we had to change"

I'm giving them a slim chance of a stay, and if its granted probably via C

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    Let me sum up this filing:

"You didn't order us to do anything & just declaratory judgment with no order hurr hurr hurr hurr durr hurr can you stay it plzkthx because we said so?"

bigred

Ultimate Member
    Nov 18, 2009
    Middle River
    So if Legg says no can they still dick us around with the permit process till the fourth circuit makes up their mind?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The case law cited for MD's likelihood of winning is all from NJ, NY, CT and MA. What about the law in 45 other states?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    They seem to be playing dumb on the G & S. It's pretty simple-if the forms are properly done and the individual is otherwise qualified, the permit gets issued, just like it's done in 40+ other states. This seems more a stall/desperation tactic than anything else.
    I'm curious on the timeframe that a stay could be granted by Legg or the 4th. I'm assuming if it's going to be granted, it ought to be soon,correct? Just want to make sure I plan ahead:innocent0

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Entering a stay pending appeal might provide the General Assembly the
    opportunity to consider enacting a statute addressing this issue without creating a void in
    the statutory scheme that affects both open and concealed carry of handguns, thus
    partially alleviating the circumscription of “the scope of popular governance” against
    which the Fourth Circuit has cautioned.
    If you believe the General Assembly will allow unlicensed OC, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom