• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    The schedule is on the MLIS website for the committees. Right now the Senate Judiciary Committee has nothing scheduled yet for next week or later. Which I find odd, because most of the other committees are scheduled well ahead of that. So either they're just busy, disorganized or whatever, or we're being set up for a "surprise" hearing with only a few days notice to take off work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Why doesn't someone call 1-800-GUN-GRAB and ask Michelle Pierce? I'm sure that she already knows.

Michelle, if you're reading this.....why don't you be a good sport and let us know what day the hearings are?:deal:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    From the Gazette:

http://www.gazette.net/stories/020707/montlet205514_32358.shtml

http://tinyurl.com/2hlrar

Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007
    Open Forum: 'Gun control is not crime control'

David N. Cowan, Silver Spring

An expert panel evaluated studies of gun laws in the United States and
    concluded that there was insufficient evidence that any of these laws
    were effective in reducing violence.

Maryland's 2005 homicide rate was 9.9; Montgomery County's was 2.0.
    There is little evidence that stricter laws could reduce it further.

It is enlightening to compare Maryland and Washington, D.C., homicide
    rates to Virginia's. From 1995-2005 Maryland's rate was 40 to 80
    percent higher, while the District's was 480 to 870 percent higher.
    For most years from 1995 to 2005, Maryland was ranked second in
    homicide rates; Virginia ranked 18th.

A superstition is the irrational belief that future events are
    influenced by specific behaviors, without having a causal
    relationship. I find it amazing that in 2007 our elected officials
    would continue to rely on superstitious beliefs regarding guns to
    guide public policy.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Judicial Hearing scheduled for SB 43 Md Assault Weapon Ban for 2/27 @ 1PM in Annapoli

Judicial Hearing scheduled for SB 43 Md Assault Weapon Ban for 2/27 @ 1PM in Annapolis

EVERYONE needs to take this day off and attend to fight this nonsense bill.

This is not yet posted on the Md Legislature site but will be later today.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I will be there. :mad54:

I'm sure you guys already know this, but it would be wise to come dressed to impress, and look like exactly what we are, honest, respectable citizens that are exercising our rights.

+1 on the dress up.

As rediculous as we KNOW this bill is we need to show up in large #'s and just as importantly we need to be calm and professional.

All it takes is one camera crew catching a gunner and a grabber have a shouting match (or worse) to undermine us.

We don't need to throw gas on the fire, we need to persuade folks to our side.

Write some notes in advance, show up early, hold your temper and be professional....

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    TUESDAY FEBRUARY 27, 2007 1:00 P.M.
    JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS COMMITTEE

SB 43 Sen Lenett, et Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2007

SB 408 Anne Arundel Anne Arundel County - Chesapeake Bay Critical Area - Violations of Local Law

SB 464 Sen Pugh, et Correctional Services - Inmates - Mandatory Health Testing

SB 497 Sen Haines, et Public Safety - Disposal of Handguns Owned by a Law Enforcement Agency

SB 563 Sen Haines, et Criminal Law - Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony

SB 589 Sen Garagiola, First Responders Fund

SB 662 Sens McFadden Local Law Enforcement Agencies - Disposal of Personal Property

Cliff

Jul 2, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing you again Norton,Jeep,and the rest of you folks. I plan to testify again if time permits,and to submit written copy as well.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Cliff!

Dude, I thought that you had moved on to greener pastures. Glad to see you're still hear fighting the good fight. :mdpatriot

Cliff

Jul 2, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Been real busy on the job. I don't even get up to On Target once a week like I used too. Been lurking in the background,reading up on everything. See you in Annapolis.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    Here's the letter I wrote to my State senator. Feel free to copy, paste, steal, edit with or without attribution, and basically use in any means that works for you to defeat this gun ban.

BTW, I also posted this on another forum (or two or three) and I apoligize if this is considered bad form, but it's too important an issue to be polite about.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I urge you in the strongest possible terms to withdraw your support for Senate Bill 43.

While I'm sure your intentions are good, there is absolutely no evidence that placing further restrictions on the Second Amendment Rights of law abiding citizens has any positive effect whatsoever on the crime rate.

Quite the contrary, one has only to look to our neighbor Washington, DC to see that criminal element has a monopoly on possession of guns in all varieties, while in some neighborhoods, law abiding citizens are little more than a smorgasbord of unprotected victims totally at the mercy of the criminal element who have no compulsion at all to abide by the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the nation.

Do you really think that the criminal element in Prince George's County, and Maryland at large give a damn about your legislation? Do you truly believe that outlawing ANY firearm is sufficient to place it out of the reach of an element of society that demonstrates its willingness on a regular basis to IGNORE laws already in place?

Surely you're not so naive as to think that the possibility of a twenty year prison sentence is going to make a thug intent on arming him-or-herself say "Oh dear, I won't get the (fill in the blank) with a removable magazine and flash suppressor, I'll stick to the completely legal to purchase one that only shoots ten rounds from the fixed magazine when I rob the 7-11"? Criminals have always gotten, and will continue to get whatever weapons strike their fancy, regardless of whatever legislation and legislative agenda elected officials feel it incumbent upon themselves to pass.

There is really only one thing that a criminal fears, and that is encountering an armed citizen. If you really wish to do something constructive vis-à-vis crime in Maryland, abandon SB0043 and introduce and pass legislation that streamlines the concealed-carry permit process and make Maryland a Shall Issue state - where the burden is on the State to prove why I should NOT be granted a permit to carry a concealed weapon, instead of a may-but-probably-won't issue state, where it is nigh-on-impossible for a law-abiding citizen to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Maryland should also grant reciprocity with all other states, recognizing their concealed carry permits as valid in Maryland, as fourteen other states currently recognize Maryland’s.

All the best,
    Rob

Jas

Jan 7, 2006
    Dares Beach
    Just recieved a reply from a letter/email I sent to Paul Pinsky.

Dear Mr. DuMond,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your concern with the assault weapons ban in Maryland.

Although I sympathize with your position, on this issue we must agree to disagree. There are indications that such legislation has been, and will be, effective in reducing gun murders and other firearm related crimes. At least one in five police officers killed in the line of duty are slain with an assault weapons. Assault weapons are the tools of choice for both those involved in drug crimes and murders with multiple victims. Moreover, prohibiting the sale of assault weapons will also contribute to a reduction in the number of violent crimes and death that occur in our neighborhoods each day.

Many states with low crime are largely rural and lack the combination of an urban setting and high concentrations of poverty that plague cities such as Baltimore and much of the D.C. metropolitan area. Consequently, it is inaccurate to compare the effects of assault weapons on crime in other states with their effect on Maryland 's crime.

I do not intend to infringe upon the legitimate interests of gun owners; indeed the vast majority of gun owners do not consider assault-style rifles to be legitimate sporting guns.

If you have any further questions or comments about this or nay other issue, please call or e-mail me.

Sincerely,
    Senator Paul G. Pinsky

District 22

Any idea on a response other than how stupid his response was.:mad54:

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Jas-

For what it might be worth (he probably already dismissed you as a gun nut), ask him:

1) The source for his one in five assertion. He will probably come back with that silly Ceasefire article which is just plain wrong and there are plenty of ways to prove that the assertion is based on nothing.
    2) Remind him that Washington DC has the strictest gun control laws in the land. Ask him how the logic follows that they are usually the murder capital of the country.
    3) Remind him that the MD FOP is against this legislation

Last edited:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    His response seems to indicate that he's drunk on the ceasfire cool-aide.

While it does not indicate type of weapon used it does indicate the frequency with which police are being killed with firearms......not exactly frequently in Md according to the FBI...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2004/table1.htm

1995 2
    1996 0
    1997 1
    1998 0
    1999 0
    2000 3
    2001 3
    2002 3
    2003 0
    2004 1

Total from 1995-2004 13

Note that these stats are for Md only.

Personally I would like to see these be zero/year but the point is that this onerous legislature isn't going to contribute to that and will only criminalize law abiding citizens.

There is a wealth of data at the FBI Uniform Crime Report Site
    http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm#leoka
    A VERY good site to print supporting documentation from for the written testimony that each of is going to submit in Annapolis at the hearing on 2/27 @ 1PM (hint hint) or if you are cannot make it for some reason be sure to mail in your letter to the Judicial Proceeding Commitee @

Judicial Proceeding Commitee
    2 East Miller Senate Building
    11 Bladen Street, Annapolis, MD 21401-1991

Be sure to reference SB 43 Hearing and tell them why you are unable to attend but ask that they distribute a copy of your letter to each of the Judicial members......remember to send certified mail if possible...that way you know it was delivered.

Remember that we need as many people as possible to come in person but as a last resort if you absolutely cannot make it make sure you send in a letter...it can't hurt and can only help

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Here is my letter to Mr Pinsky.

Mr. Pinsky,

I am writing you to discuss the constitution and it application in the proposed law you support.

Would you support, if it were proven with statistics to reduce crime, a law that gave police the right to listen to any phone call in Maryland without warrant?
    Of course you wouldn't, because a law like that would affect more than just criminals, it would affect the entire law abiding population of Maryland.

Would you support, if it were proven with statistics to reduce crime, a law that gave police the right to pull anyone they chose over and search their car and person without probable cause?
    Of course you wouldn't for the same reason as above.

Well, both of those proposed laws above have ANOTHER reason not to enact them. They are both violations of the Constitution of the United States. A document that I, as both a US Marine and now as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, have sworn to protect. I don't know any oath you swore to when you were elected, but I would hope you took one similar to mine.

Now, to the Maryland Assault Weapons Ban. You can't swear an oath to the majority of the constitution. You swear it to 100%, or not at all. The second amendment isn't something you are allowed to ignore when it doesn't suit your needs. If you need a reference on the framer's intent when they wrote "a well regulated militia" you need only do a little research. The answer is out there, so don't simply assume they meant the national guard or some other government run organization. They meant every able bodied citizen, whether organized in a state militia or unorganized individuals. "Shall not be infringed" is a very specific statement, sir. If you are genuinely concerned for my welfare as law enforcement and as a resident, don't act against my rights. Act against those who would break the law. I will admit your way is easier, quicker to get you headlines, and possibly votes, and takes less thought to come up with, but I don’t believe it to be the most efficient way of doing business. Don't take the easy route, sir, take the right one.

Robert Moore

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Great letter Robert!

Thanks for joing us here and welcome to MD Shooters!

It's great to have more law enforcement publicly denounce these garbage bills.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Quinter.jpg

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Many states with low crime are largely rural and lack the combination of an urban setting and high concentrations of poverty that plague cities such as Baltimore and much of the D.C. metropolitan area. Consequently, it is inaccurate to compare the effects of assault weapons on crime in other states with their effect on Maryland 's crime.
    What a damn hypocrit! He dismisses what I assume were your citations of stats comparing crime in other states as not being a fair comparison, and yet he used comparisons nationwide and other states to make his claims about officers being killed and the legislation banning AWs that he claims reduced crime.
    Pisses me off that no matter what proof we give some of them, they will continue to believe the unsupported lies and will stick to their guns even while they contradict themselves and blatantly use circular logic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom