• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    From what I hear, the combination of shooting prone along with a mandatory 4' target height may result in rounds hitting the baffles.
    It's a shame the rules don't allow for a lower target height while shooting prone.

Well I found out this weekend that that is exactly the case.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    WOW... Both happy and sad when looking to sign up for an appleseed tonight. All of the events are sold out through December!!! While I was disappointed I would have to wait that long. It was great to see so many sold out so far in advance. Between that and the Rifleman rate it really shows how well the MD Appleseed crew is doing. Big hats off to you all, especially BSwift. :party29:

Last week I figured I was finally ready to sign up and was dismayed too.
    All sold out till dec and the one in Dec is the same weekend I come home from an annual hunting trip.
    The ones in Mannheim all conflict Bridgevilles BR shoots and I'm not willing to drive as far as chambersberg.

So I'll just have to wait.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Last week I figured I was finally ready to sign up and was dismayed too.
    All sold out till dec and the one in Dec is the same weekend I come home from an annual hunting trip.
    The ones in Mannheim all conflict Bridgevilles BR shoots and I'm not willing to drive as far as chambersberg.

So I'll just have to wait.

If y'all belong to gun club, get em on board... If it were up to me, there'd be an Appleseed in Maryland every weekend...

In any case, Bridgeville this fall is a possibility, so stay tuned... BeSwift

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    I dont belong to club. Excluding BR and F-class I only shoot at NESF since it's only 10 minutes away.

But I really cant believe clubs aren't standing in to host these.

Chainsaw

Sep 28, 2010
    I dont belong to club. Excluding BR and F-class I only shoot at NESF since it's only 10 minutes away.

But I really cant believe clubs aren't standing in to host these.

BeSwift will agree with me a he's probably spoken to as many clubs about Appleseed as I have....

If you can think of an excuse, any excuse, no matter how ridiculous it sounds... we've heard it from clubs. GUN clubs filled with GUN owners and enthusiasts that should know better.

Even when there are practical or safety reasons for not wanting to host a standard event we can work around almost any situation. Did you know we have shoots in Manhattan every month? Can you imagine the back-flips that have to take place to make that happen? We can do it.

Here is a call to all of you fine folks that have attended events in the past and know what we do and what the program is like... go to your local club and give some first hand testimony in front of the membership at a club meeting.... and then have your friends do the same thing.

-Tom

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Looks like the only way I'll get to a seed this year is if I skip something else.
    So I have decided sooner is better and I'm gonna sign up for the Manheim shoot on the 18-19.
    Will Have to wait till friday to do it though.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    OK I'm all signed up for Manheim 18-19th.

I have the list of what to bring.

ANyone have any advice , dos and don'ts>

Larry

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Larry

It's a cliche, but it's true. Go with an open mind and LISTEN to what hey teach you, then concentrate on DOING what they taught you. Get picky about the details. On the other side, bathe in the history lessons you're given. Some of the stories you will hear are almost never heard anywhere else any more about the brave people that risked everything to found our nation. Remember that it is their legacy you are following in and be inspired.

Chainsaw

Sep 28, 2010

Larry

Spend a few minutes a day getting in and out of a sitting and prone position. It doesn't have to be perfect, you don't even need a rifle with you, you're just getting your body used to something new.

I know this is listed in the how to prepare section, no one does it and everyone wishes they had (especially if you're not a spring chicken).

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    If it looks like its going to be hot and swampy think about getting some
    Anti-fog for your eye protection/glasses. If the range has a concrete pad you might want to think about some extra padding for your shooting may. You will spend a lot of time on your belly. Like someone said above, listen to the instructors and do it the way they tell you.
    Have fun!

Chainsaw

Sep 28, 2010
    If it looks like its going to be hot and swampy think about getting some
    Anti-fog for your eye protection/glasses. If the range has a concrete pad you might want to think about some extra padding for your shooting may. You will spend a lot of time on your belly. Like someone said above, listen to the instructors and do it the way they tell you.
    Have fun!

Manheim has a grass firing line. It can be a little uneven, but a standard shooting mat or carpet remnant is plenty.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Spend a few minutes a day getting in and out of a sitting and prone position. It doesn't have to be perfect, you don't even need a rifle with you, you're just getting your body used to something new.

I know this is listed in the how to prepare section, no one does it and everyone wishes they had (especially if you're not a spring chicken).

Well I have been doing that already.

I have been looking at this program since I discovered it in march.

So I have been doing all I can to be prepared, the only thing I wish I had was a portable canopy in case it rains.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Larry

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    August Shooters...

OK August shooters.. class is 3 days out. It is going to be a FULL line. Make sure your gear is in order and reliable. Bring lots of water, some bug spray, and maybe a dish towel or bandanna to keep the sweat at bay. Try and be there by 8AM please.. We got a LOT to cover in 1 day.. Contact me with any questions.
    BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    OK MD Shooters... Two items:

1) Still room for walk ons at the Chambersburg PA Appleseed THIS weekend! Centerfire allowed and encouraged and it ain't that far away for most of us...
    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28802.0

2) Sept Annapolis Shooters: Time to get your gear squared and get ready for next weekends shoot. Rifle zeroed at 25 meters, reliable ammo, rifle cleaned, etc.. Better to prep your gear now and have a rifle that keeps running 400 rounds into the class, then be on the verge of earning your Rifleman status and having a malfunction wreck your target...

Contact me if you need to borrow any gear, or have any questions..
    BeSwift

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    OK MD Shooters... Two items:

1) Still room for walk ons at the Chambersburg PA Appleseed THIS weekend! Centerfire allowed and encouraged and it ain't that far away for most of us...
    http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28802.0

2) Sept Annapolis Shooters: Time to get your gear squared and get ready for next weekends shoot. Rifle zeroed at 25 meters, reliable ammo, rifle cleaned, etc.. Better to prep your gear now and have a rifle that keeps running 400 rounds into the class, then be on the verge of earning your Rifleman status and having a malfunction wreck your target...

Contact me if you need to borrow any gear, or have any questions..
    BeSwift

Just leaving for the range to sight in my new LTR.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Thanks to Bswift and his crew for a great weekend. My wife & brother were both first timers and had a really good time. My wife learned a bunch and improved significantly over the weekend. My brother is already looking into upcoming events nearby.
    Thanks guys!

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Had a great time at the Appleseed event this weekend. Perfect weather to go with a safe and educational weekend. I highly encourage anyone who gets a chance "on the line" to take it. I can't believe how much I improved as a rifleman and how important the lessons of the weekend were. Thanks to Brian, Carl and Paul for a fantastic weekend.

PS - Thanks to Anne Arundel Fish & Game for being such a great host and allowing the Appleseed events at their facility.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    If y'all belong to gun club, get em on board... If it were up to me, there'd be an Appleseed in Maryland every weekend...

In any case, Bridgeville this fall is a possibility, so stay tuned... BeSwift

It is hard to get any of the clubs at the AGC interested and the facility is perfect for a Appleseed shoot!

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    It is hard to get any of the clubs at the AGC interested and the facility is perfect for a Appleseed shoot!

I have tried a couple of times and will continue to try. I'm always optimistic, but just haven't had the right people see the value in the program, there, yet.
    It always helps to have connected people within any club who express an interest to leadership that they'd like to see Appleseed at their facility. Cold calling is tough, so I'm always looking for a determined advocate and ally... BeSwift

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom