Maryland Activist Training - free - Annapolis. 8 November.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Anyone know of reasonably accessable parking? Or do we have to hoof it from the stadium?

The stadium walk is pretty short. Not that big of a deal considering its $5 for all day parking.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Anyone know of reasonably accessable parking? Or do we have to hoof it from the stadium?
    There are also some free spots with a 9 hour limit on King George Street, by the college. Short couple of blocks away. They do fill up early, but I have gotten lucky a couple of times with people pulling out. Worth a cruise by.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Crap! Thought I could make it now I can't, too much work to do I thought I could get done before now. Enjoy the time and thanks for going, really sorry about this.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    9y9y7eju.jpg
    I'm in the hearing room now. I'm in a gray Dino shirt; you'll see what I mean ;)

Sent from my hacked mobile device of destiny.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Good session. Recommend for folks interested in getting an "insider" tour, obtaining lots of useful info, learning how to get involved in the legislative process, and best of all... getting to fart in your "favorite" representative's chair. :D

Looking forward to trading notes on that fiscal report! Great seeing all the other MDS folks there.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    Good session. Recommend for folks interested in getting an "insider" tour, obtaining lots of useful info, learning how to get involved in the legislative process, and best of all... getting to fart in your "favorite" representative's chair. :D

Looking forward to trading notes on that fiscal report! Great seeing all the other MDS folks there.

I've already started thumbing through the book…
    I am surprised (not really) that
    "In July 2010, the Maryland Longitudinal Data System Center Governing Board was established (Chapter 190, Acts of 2010). The Board is to oversee creation both of the Maryland Longitudinal Data System and its Center. The Maryland Longitudinal Data System, which must be up and running by December 31, 2014, will contain education and workforce data on each individual student in the State."

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/25ind/html/50longitud.html

3 Million is going to buy new cop cars from the work zone speed traps…

I haven't see anything that explicitly talked about the implementation of Common Core or SB281.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I was the not so quiet guy in the back center. It was interesting to hear that the delegates & senators have software that blend all the legislation as it goes through. You know all that time and mind bending you went through on SB281…yeah, they have an app for that.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I was the not so quiet guy in the back center. It was interesting to hear that the delegates & senators have software that blend all the legislation as it goes through. You know all that time and mind bending you went through on SB281…yeah, they have an app for that.

But we can't have it. Can't be having those pesky constituents knowing what they're actually voting on...

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I've already started thumbing through the book…
    I am surprised (not really) that
    "In July 2010, the Maryland Longitudinal Data System Center Governing Board was established (Chapter 190, Acts of 2010). The Board is to oversee creation both of the Maryland Longitudinal Data System and its Center. The Maryland Longitudinal Data System, which must be up and running by December 31, 2014, will contain education and workforce data on each individual student in the State."

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/25ind/html/50longitud.html

3 Million is going to buy new cop cars from the work zone speed traps…

I haven't see anything that explicitly talked about the implementation of Common Core or SB281.

Nice. Tracking the children. Where will this end?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Sorry for the poor directions, lol!

Yesterday went exceedingly well IMO.
    The speaker, Patricia, pretty much fielded every question and she's got the capitol's history down like nobodies business (granted, she's probably repeated it a million times over, haha). She was kind throughout it all.

Here's how it goes:

-You'll watch a 15 minute long video on the legislative process (we were having trouble with the audio, but I imagine that will be fixed)

-Then, there's a good overview of how the mgleg.maryland.gov website functions and how to utilize it

-They'll answer any questions you may have through the course of this. We had a lot!

-A tour is then given of the State House

The organizer (Tiffany is her name, if I've not mistaken) had ordered 90 minutes of time, but I'm pretty sure we ran an hour longer. Bring a notepad and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone involved was kind and knowledgeable.

This whole thing was setup to give Marylanders an avenue into how their government functions and how they can be paramount in how our laws are made. The more involvement from the people, the better things can be. I don't know of what issues drove the organizer to create this group, but she did see that there's a lot of anger directed towards our lawmakers without understanding why things happen the way they do. She wants to encourage folks to get involved and testify.

This is honestly a pretty cool program. If you know anyone who wants to get involved, regardless of issue, let them know about it. I learned a lot yesterday and I felt like a student on a field trip, but this time I was paying attention, lol.

It was great meeting and seeing folks from here yesterday.
    If you didn't get to go today, make sure to sign up for the December session. The organizer said that 60 folks signed up for this one, but more than half that didn't show.

P.S.
    I realize that I already know one of the other MDS members that made it there yesterday. I knew you were familiar, but it didn't hit me until last night where I knew you from. If you happen to run a certain shop that sells MTG, shoot me a PM.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    One thing also very important to mention:

MD CAN is setting up an internship program. With over 2700….that's 2700 or so new pieces of legislation submitted every year. It takes an army of folks to get through it all. They are setting up an internship program to have students go through the legislation and identify "Liberty Infringing" legislation.

Hopefully we can get some more of their information out here on MDshooters for people to support.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Yeah, this was a very interesting and worthwhile event. I had already learned a lot about the process from exposure in the last session, but of course I learned a whole lot more at this. The GA web page demo was great, there is a whole bunch of stuff there.

There is one thing I want to pass on to everyone who wasn't able to attend. Out of the nearly 2700 bills in the 2013 session, about two thirds never made it out of committee. The thing that surprised me was that over 97% (I think I heard that right) of the ones that did come to a floor vote, passed. This basically means that the only way to kill the bad stuff or get the good stuff is to testify at the committee hearings. This can't be emphasized enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom