• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Hi, all,
    Situation: I purchased my first handgun on 30 May and picked it up on 20 June. I have a used handgun purchase in process of being shipped to an FFL. When it comes in, can I fill out the MSP paperwork immediately or do I have to wait until 20 July to submit the paperwork. In other words, when does the 30 day wait start - purchase date, MSP "not disapproved" date, pick-up date, or some other arbitrary date?

Thanks!

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I am PRETTY sure it starts from the time you take posession. Noy a lawyer and other will probably know better.

I just ran into a similar situation and decided to just wait an extra week to make sure.

Splitter

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    You can take possition of 1 regulated fireare every 30 days.

21 days after you tke possition of the gun you can apply for your next one.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    You can buy two at once, but then you can't buy for 60 days.

Yes, the laws are stupid. It sounds like neither side has enough power in this state to either totally restrict things or prevent stupid laws like this one. Of course, some of the anti politicians may not understand how easy it is to get the collectors status and how their silly law is in effect void because of that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Intarsiac,

If I havn't welcomed you elsewhere, than let me begin by saying welcome. To answer your question, JeepDriver knows of which he speaks and is a reliable source. This isn't to say others here aren't but I know for a fact that he does. BTW, what shop is handeling your transfer?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

As a side note.....

It says "purchase" in the law, so as I see it as a non-lawery one can take possession of more than one as a gift or as inheritance in thirty days.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    so then whats the multiple regulated firearm purchase form for?
    For three situations, one of which has already been mentioned:

The purchase of two at once and you wait 60 days before the next purchase (already mentioned).

The purchase of regulated firearm for a privatecollection or for the purchase for a collection series (this is where the designated collector's status comes in I think and the State Police made the designation up so they don't have to keep processing the requests over and over).

The bulk purchase of an estate sale.

(the code also says "the purchase is for other purposes similar" to the above items.)

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    All: Thanks for the advice/comments/recommendations.
    Jeep: I was stymied by looking at question 15 on the MSP 77R-1. "If you are not a Designated Collector: Have you taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30)days. If yes, give date: __/__/__." I didn't know if answering yes (I took possession on 20 June) would flag and hold up the process. Maybe my wife will fill out the paperwork for this one....
    Joppaj: Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro is handling the transfer.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    All: Thanks for the advice/comments/recommendations.
    Jeep: I was stymied by looking at question 15 on the MSP 77R-1. "If you are not a Designated Collector: Have you taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30)days. If yes, give date: __/__/__." I didn't know if answering yes (I took possession on 20 June) would flag and hold up the process. Maybe my wife will fill out the paperwork for this one....
    Joppaj: Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro is handling the transfer.

Anyone else think that saying this in front of dealer may set off "Straw purchase" bells and whistles?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I sent in my app for Collector Status on the last week of June, received my letter of approval yesterday, July 24. You should consider this, it's free.
    I have read about special consideration between Husband and Wife. The way i see it, you two are equal partners. Whatever you buy she has an equal share of it anyway?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I sent in my app for Collector Status on the last week of June, received my letter of approval yesterday, July 24. You should consider this, it's free.
    I have read about special consideration between Husband and Wife. The way i see it, you two are equal partners. Whatever you buy she has an equal share of it anyway?
    So what exactly do you need to do to get your collector's status? What are the requirements and where do you get the forms?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks Matt. Another question: Is it ok to have the Collector's permit AND an FFL? At some point in the next year or so I intend to get my own FFL, but getting a home based FFL takes a bit more work. I'm on my way, but I'm not there just yet.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Do you mean C&R license or do you mean the MD collectors thing?

I think you can have both the C&R and an FFL because the C&R is only for personal firearms. You would have to keep things straight and have a clear line between private guns and guns bought for the commercial shop.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    Which type of FFL? If it's a regular dealer FFL, no collector's permit required. Just sign the firearms out to yourself and they are yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom