• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    vybzF
    Hope this works, Sika Buck making his way through.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    It's a good one, decent body size and getting tall. I bet it's 9-12 years old. There was a lot of resolution loss but whats neat is you can see the reflection on the water. I think I get a kick out of that most hunting them. Sometimes when they slog through that muck you cant even hear them. They come right out of nowhere and the coat is the same color as the muck, really hard to see even when they're moving. I bet a lot of them get by you when your hunting and you never see them. There's good whitetails in there too but its so hard to go by foot sneaking is almost out of the question so they get hip to whats going on real quick.
    Any other place with more pressure and you would rarely see something like that during a whole lot of shooting light.
    I have another video of a knock down dragged out fight in broad daylight but I'm having a hard time getting it to my computer. Im going to try and get it on here soon enough.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Looks to be spouting a 5th and 6th point up top. I really hope to see one next weekend. Heading down for my second attempt this year. First trip got blasted by 95 degree heat wave but did let a monster bodied spike walk.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    IMG_0810.jpg Heres one in the phragmites, that's where they like to hang. They'll lay up in that mess sometimes until you almost step on them. When I was about 10-15 years younger I would walk through that stuff all day long. Rifle stuffed in a pack, toting a shotgun some spam and a couple of snickers bars.
    Not that I'm that old now but getting tired of it. This is probably my last year hunting. If you can get to some needle grass and walk that, especially near some scrub bushes you can usually get some moving.
    Just know where your buddy is at if you get into them thick or go alone.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    View attachment 221021 Heres one in the phragmites, that's where they like to hang. They'll lay up in that mess sometimes until you almost step on them. When I was about 10-15 years younger I would walk through that stuff all day long. Rifle stuffed in a pack, toting a shotgun some spam and a couple of snickers bars.
    Not that I'm that old now but getting tired of it. This is probably my last year hunting. If you can get to some needle grass and walk that, especially near some scrub bushes you can usually get some moving.
    Just know where your buddy is at if you get into them thick or go alone.
    Thanks for this thread, and this pic. I miss Sika hunting, this brings back some good memories. I used to be in a club with some friends and had marsh/clearcut property adjacent to Blackwater near Smithville Road. We did well with both whitetail and sika. Really miss the days in those swamps, tough days but fun nonetheless. DO NOT MISS the Dorchester County official bird, the mosquito. Me and my friends have mostly gone our separate hunting ways, but we’ve been talking about banding together again to get back to the swamps for a season or two before we can’t do it any longer. Thanks again for this thread, it’s brought a sorely needed smile to my face.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am hoping for more luck this year. I’ve hunted Nanticoke in the late season two years in a row and this will be my third. I’ve seen WT and Sika back there. First year I missed a WT and a Sika because my shotgun sights were off. Last year nada the first day and jumped a couple of hinds at close range in a blizzard and couldn’t get a shot off before they disappeared in to the blinding snow.

I thinking i’ll Try hunting fishing bay during early ML next year, but I need chest waders. I tried getting back in there that first year and my boots were basically getting over topped within 30yds of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom