• Other

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been thinking about acquiring a new .22 rifle and I wanted to get some opinions about the Marlin Model 60s vs the Ruger 10/22, or anything else that would fall within about a $150-$250 price range for a semi-auto.

I've been doing some reading and it seems that these two are pretty much the most popular, but I'm curious to hear why you prefer one over the other.

All opinions are welcome - vote if you want.

Thanks!

(Doesn't necessarily "have" to be a semi-auto - I've always enjoyed lever guns too, such as the Model 39A, but that falls outside of the price range.)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would go with the Marlin, much easier to load
    That's kind of what I thought - I've never had issues with tube feed and once you develop the knack, they load up in a hurry. But, others counter that argument by saying they have several pre-loaded 10/22 mags ready to roll, so it's a matter of popping one out and the next one in.

I suppose I should have put the Marlin 795 on the list too.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a Marlin 60. Durable, accurate and fun as hell to shoot.

Plus, I have seen them around for as low as $65. Used of course, but I don't have a problem with that. Mine's 30 years old and holds more rounds than the new ones.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Why the Marlin Model 60 and its variants (like my Model 75C) are better than the Ruger 10/22:

1.) Cheaper;
    2.) Easier to operate;
    3.) Not everybody and his grandmother has one;
    4.) There aren't a zillion aftermarket parts that cost too much and don't work as well as the hype says they do.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    That's kind of what I thought - I've never had issues with tube feed and once you develop the knack, they load up in a hurry. But, others counter that argument by saying they have several pre-loaded 10/22 mags ready to roll, so it's a matter of popping one out and the next one in.

I suppose I should have put the Marlin 795 on the list too.

Butler Creek steel lipped hi-caps and tactical innovation steel lipped hi-caps mags

There is also the Remington 597 but that is a POS and I don't believe anyone would recommend that.

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster and thats a fun little rifle i think they are $107 at walmart.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been talking to my brother-in-law. He's got a 10/22 that he got used, but he's having issues with misfires - something about the firing pin not striking hard enough or something along those lines. Anyway, I had always thought about getting another .22 rifle and the 10/22 was high on the list, but I've been reading a lot about the Model 60, which seems to be really, really popular too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think the answer is both, the Marlin is alot more accurate for a light barreled out of the box but the 10.22 has mag options.

I have one in 20" one of the base hunter safety models, my father bought a 16" carbine at walmart a couple months ago that you can just go down a shooting tree at 50 yards with.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    166377_10150408636605585_691460584_17233824_2321699_n.jpg

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I've been talking to my brother-in-law. He's got a 10/22 that he got used, but he's having issues with misfires - something about the firing pin not striking hard enough or something along those lines. Anyway, I had always thought about getting another .22 rifle and the 10/22 was high on the list, but I've been reading a lot about the Model 60, which seems to be really, really popular too.

Has he taken it apart and cleaned and inspected it. May have 100 rounds or 10K rounds.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Very simple poll, but the correct response isn't listed: Get 'em both and shoot 'em both.

Both are fine .22s. Inexpensive to buy with many aftermarket options available.

They are very different in design and that makes them a great change of pace to shoot.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The 795s are nothing compred to a 60, yeah same action but you get a cheap plastic stock and short barrel.

Get a 60 with wood stock and 24'' barrel. WOOPS, MY BAD THEY OLDER MODELS CAME WITH A 22'' BARREL. NEWER MODELS HAVE A 19'' BARREL.

FIND AN OLDER MODEL. THEY ARE ALL OVER. THESE ARE THE MOST SOLD .33 IN THE COUNTRY

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The 795s are nothing compred to a 60, yeah same action but you get a cheap plastic stock and short barrel.

Get a 60 with wood stock and 24'' barrel

If you are going to buy the 795 just get the Papoose (BTW if you ever tear one down the recoil spring is a pain, keep crimping them).

Dont look at the savage semi, key shaped mag is a pain.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    If you are going to buy the 795 just get the Papoose (BTW if you ever tear one down the recoil spring is a pain, keep crimping them).

Dont look at the savage semi, key shaped mag is a pain.

I have gotten to be good with that spring.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seems based on the poll that the Model 60 is a real favorite, although the 10/22 shares a fair amount of popularity and support. I hope to at some point have both, but for now I'm trying to zero in on one of the two. I'm also not opposed to buying a gun used - there is great value to be had in the used market, although probably not quite so much for guns at this price point. Ultimately I'd like to replace the Marlin 39A from my Dad's collection that got away at the auction. That was my favorite of all the .22s Dad owned, and he owned a bunch. (probably even had a Model 60 in there somewhere.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom