• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    You need a base or bases specific to the rifle. And from there, you need rings of the appropriate diameter and height and finish, that are selected with your chosen scope's tube diameter, positioning and objective bell clearance in mind.

Like most things in life, scope mounting isn't rocket science. But there are indeed things to consider, all of which become easier once you know how. You can always have a shop mount and bore sight a scope for you. I'm not sure that my first attempt would involve an expensive scope on a vintage rifle.

Freedom is similar yes. I actually have an older model 3x9x40 VX-2 on my 336. The Freedom series is Leupold's replacement for the older VX1 and my VX2 series both. They transitioned from the VX1 and VX2 to the new Freedom line some 5 or 6 years ago now.

The VX-3 series is the better scope over the Freedom. Also, the vintage look in 1973 was a gloss scope, on what is your gloss blued rifle. So, the combo is an aesthetics thing. A "period correct" look may or may not matter to you.

If you do care about that? And if you look for and find a used scope in gloss, rather than today's matte finish? Leupold has a lifetime warranty. And you don't need a receipt, nor do you need to be the original owner. So no worries there.

As mentioned, any new scope will be matte black, rather than gloss black. A gloss finish in new production product of any series is (sadly) no longer available. Same with the finish on most rifles today. Matte black with that also, in most cases with most new rifles made today.

So you have some things to consider. Take your time and have fun with it!
    Thanks for the background. Really appreciate it!

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I tried to put a Leupold VX 1 3x9x40 on my 30-30 and the eye relief didn’t work for me. I believe this scope was replaced by the Freedom.

If your interested in the VX1 (brand new) I’ll make you a hell of a deal.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    My pleasure!

Enjoy that rifle. She's a pre-crossbolt safety dandy of a 336!
    Yes, I've read about that safety added later.

I find it a little sad that my Dad collected these rifles but was so busy and didn't have access to a good nearby gun range so he never fired them. I intend to rectify that problem. ;-)

I have one of the "Centennial" Winchester 94's in .30/.30 as well. Never been fired. At first I thought it might be a rare collectors item, but following a few gun broker sales and based on a few articles I've read, Winchester made a ton of them. I think I will shoot and enjoy these rifles instead of trying to "preserve" them for some future sale.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yes, I've read about that safety added later.

I find it a little sad that my Dad collected these rifles but was so busy and didn't have access to a good nearby gun range so he never fired them. I intend to rectify that problem. ;-)

I have one of the "Centennial" Winchester 94's in .30/.30 as well. Never been fired. At first I thought it might be a rare collectors item, but following a few gun broker sales and based on a few articles I've read, Winchester made a ton of them. I think I will shoot and enjoy these rifles instead of trying to "preserve" them for some future sale.

Two schools of thought with that. One is that what you read is correct. They made more than a few of many of the commemorative offerings. The other side is, Winchester New Haven shut down in 2006, and they ain't manufacturing any lever actions of any flavor, here in the states anymore.

Yours is a nice conundrum to have! In both cases! :)

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Skinner sights often need front sights that are taller. Weaver makes a peep too that affixes to the side of the receiver than can use original front sight. They are a bit easier to adjust. As far as optics, a 2x7, fixed 4 or 3x9 is plenty good. 3x9 might be a bit big.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I got scope mounts like these which allow me to shoot in the brush/swamp at close range. (Amazon product ASIN B000N8OLZE) I think I have a K-Mart blue light special for a scope. As long as it keeps it's sight.

Link not posting correctly from Amazon.

WEAVER 1-Inch Steel Lock Mounts for Marlin 336​

I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 sets of these style mounts for a 336, if you or anybody else wants them for nothing PM me.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Williams "ace in the hole" with your scope choice mounted in quick detach rings. I have a 3-9x Leupold mounted in Warne maxima QDs (I think they're medium height). Best of both worlds; pop the scope off when you want to run fast and light with the ghost ring.... that front fiber lights up nice. I've hunted successfully with mine both ways, and you'll be happy with how repeatable the scope is on/off.

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    I have a Leupold base with 1” low rings (weaver maybe, I forget), and a Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scope and I love the set up. If you’re going to scope it, I also recommend getting a hammer spur extension.

C34C6EB1-E89F-4D7C-9EEB-4BADADFD742B.jpeg

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    While I understand why see-through mounts are a thing, I personally can't stand having a scope that high. This is where a decent lpvo, perhaps 1-6x' would solve my hang-up with it.
    Agree 100%
    Those "TV" see through sights scream "Pellet gun"
    My Nikon 2-7 (on my deer gun) is left on 2X , and at that setting I can shoot both eyes open,
    or if I need it, I can dial it up to 7X.
    I use low mount rings and "bobbed" the hammer to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom