• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would suggest getting one made by marlin before the remington manufactured guns.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i did own a marlin .45/70 but it wasnt a cowboy version. it shot well with factory loads. from what i understand they really shine with handloads.
    if you can find a pre-rem version they usually command a premium.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    i did own a marlin .45/70 but it wasnt a cowboy version. it shot well with factory loads. from what i understand they really shine with handloads.

Pre-Rem would be nice, but probably not a short term option.

Hand loads? ... Now that's something I'm pretty good at... ;)

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I don't own a Cowboy, but i do have a first year production BO serial number 1895. Very nice gun, but expensive to shoot. Handloads are a must, as factory ammo is over $2 a round, and inferior to what you can load yourself. I too would recommend a pre-Remington JM proofed rifle. It will be worth the wait, and you will be happier in the long run. The quality of the new ones is supposedly improving, but I don't think it's up to the JMs.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Does anyone on the forum have any first hand experience with this rifle? http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1895Cowboy.asp

I'm kinda "scheming" on one. Before I "pounce" it would be good to get other viewpoints...

:shrug:

I own one. Built in 2001.
    I got it NIB and it has never been fired. (Still have the box, too.)

I've always wanted to put one of those long (brass) tube scopes on this gorgeous levergun.

I don't think I'll ever sell it. IF I did, the price would be somewhere north of $2,000.00. It's THAT gorgeous.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Pre-Rem would be nice, but probably not a short term option.

Hand loads? ... Now that's something I'm pretty good at... ;)

I know that my 1895G in .45-70 Gummint is VERY accurate at 100 yards with my handloads, using Alliant Reloader 7 (RL-7) and Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolits.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I really appreciate the input, folks. :thumbsup: Fact is I have a card I can only use at Cabela's so I'm kinda locked into them as a source. That's both good and bad.

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah you do, Uncle Duke! And so do I... :innocent0

You're a real help!

Remind me to dislike you and you Hooligans! ;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have never owned one, but I did shoot a buddy's rifle. It was fun to shoot, but it didn't make me want to go out and buy one.

YMMV.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have a 1895GBL and previously owned a 1895SS. Maybe I got lucky but the new Marlin works just as well as the 1980's era older gun. I do like the 6 shot tube of the GBL and the laminated stock. I build handloads using a little old Lee smack it with a mallet reloader and have never been disappointed. The 45-70 is very easy to reload, very forgiving. I really like the Hornady Lever rubber tip 325 grain rounds. Perfect Georgia wild pig round, Porky drops in half a step.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    No Marlin 1895 CB Love

I got a call back from Cabela's today. None of their locations or suppliers have a Marlin 1895 CB available. Looks like I'm SOL on that trail for now. :sad20:

I spied this on Cabela's website. If Cabela's can come up with one of these it might ease my disappointment over the Marlin:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...-rifles/_/N-1114860/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380

It appears we have recent positive input on the Ruger thanks to fidelity. :thumbsup:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=174016
    There's also an interesting review here:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-AmericanRR.htm

We're all good at justifying new toys, right?
    How's this for rationale?
    • A bolt rifle in 300 Blackout would complement my 300 BLK AR. Heck I have my Savage .223 to go with my AR’s chambered in 223/556...
    • I can already load my own ammo for 300 BLK. No need to buy dies...just reload more.
    • The Ruger is less $'s than the Marlin 1895 CB... So i gotta add optics...no biggie...
    • The Ruger has a threaded barrel. 4570inMD has me thinking about a can for my 300 BLK AR which would also work on the Ruger...Hmmm...
    • The Ruger is short so I wouldn't have to buy another long bag to take it to the range...

Sounds like a good plan B to me... :innocent0 ;)

Input, y'all????

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom