• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What's everyone running?

What mount and why? I see some folks complaining that the picatinny rails sit too high for them to be comfortable

Got tired of seeing used ones for close to new money so I just ordered a new 40178.

Regular shooting out to 15 yards freehand. Don't see a need for magnification.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    You have one of the better guns for the amount of money spent on a 22LR target pistol.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    You probable helped smooth out that trigger in the MK 2. One of the best triggers that I have ever seen was from a MK 2. Not even an after market target trigger could hold a candle to it

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Want to add that I do not want to spend a fortune. I'm ok with affordable for this one. It's a range baby that MAYBE I'll try using for a steel match or something sometime. If the sight doesn't stand up at that time I'll replace it.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I removed the rail and running a Lobos Industries mount with a Holosun 507C. His stuff sells out pretty fast, so you have to sign up for a product alert then every few weeks he makes another batch. https://lobos-industries.com/

Though after getting my SIG P322, my Ruger is just collecting dust. The SIG is really that much more fun. Fits my hand better and double the capacity.

IMG_2558.jpg

IMG_2559.jpg

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I removed the rail and running a Lobos Industries mount with a Holosun 507C. His stuff sells out pretty fast, so you have to sign up for a product alert then every few weeks he makes another batch. https://lobos-industries.com/

Though after getting my SIG P322, my Ruger is just collecting dust. The SIG is really that much more fun. Fits my hand better and double the capacity.

View attachment 390997
    View attachment 390998
    Why not use the rail? Too tall for your liking?

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    The maddmacs precision mounts would screw directly to the top of the drilled and tapped receiver on your MK series pistol. The mounts are specific to whatever RDS footprint you want to install (NOT universal)....Same as the pics in Hibs post above.

I have mine installed on a Ruger MK IV Tactical 22/45. I removed the picatinny rail section and replaced with MaddMacs RMR Center Base 2.0 RDS mount. I am running a Swampfox Liberty RDS I had laying around (same footprint as RMR).

Hope this helps.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The maddmacs precision mounts would screw directly to the top of the drilled and tapped receiver on your MK series pistol. The mounts are specific to whatever RDS footprint you want to install (NOT universal)....Same as the pics in Hibs post above.

I have mine installed on a Ruger MK IV Tactical 22/45. I removed the picatinny rail section and replaced with MaddMacs RMR Center Base 2.0 RDS mount. I am running a Swampfox Liberty RDS I had laying around (same footprint as RMR).

Hope this helps.
    I didn't click enough links. I see now. They didn't mention Ruger anywhere on that page so I was lost

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    And I forgot to answer the "why" of your original post....I did not like how high the RDS sat on top of the Pic Rail, in addition to the fact that some RDS sights do not include a Pic Rail adapter (swampfox & holosun to name two), the Pic Rail adapter is an additional cost and also an additional mount screw to contend with.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Ah yes, but it pales in comparison to the two unfired S&W 41s I have. They're so factory new the mag is still in wax paper. I almost don't want to shoot them at this point...
    Smith and Wesson Model 41 is more than twice the price of a Ruger MK 4.

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    Also note, if going with the maddmacs mount, the "Center Base 2.0" model fits the factory drilled and tapped holes with the mount centered over the ejection port.

The "DT Base 2.0" model secures to your pistol in the rear sight dovetail and first scope base screw hole (mounting the RDS to the rear of the receiver)

Hopefully I've answered your questions.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Also note, if going with the maddmacs mount, the "Center Base 2.0" model fits the factory drilled and tapped holes with the mount centered over the ejection port.

The "DT Base 2.0" model secures to your pistol in the rear sight dovetail and first scope base screw hole (mounting the RDS to the rear of the receiver)

Hopefully I've answered your questions.
    Is one superior to the other?

I'd rather leave the rear sight alone I think

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    I concur on leaving the rear sight alone. I have the center mount and it is exactly where I want the RDS mounted. Plus, I think that maybe the balance of the pistol is better with the RDS mounted more towards the center of the gun vs the extreme back position.

Purely my preference.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is the Madmacs mount, ROmeo 0 and Dawson .470x.100 FO front sight. Bottom 1/4 co-witness. THe factory pic rail works, but is tall enough that any RD will block the Irons, The Madmacs is the lowest profile there is, and they have several that match the footprint of various sights
    20221018_132712.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom