• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    pitting or imperfect to begin with is my real question. My older eyes originally thought the crown was chipping away. The close-ups make me think there're just imperfections in the production/finishing process. Looks like fouling built up in the imperfections.

Has anyone noticed anything like this before? Is it something worth going to Ruger about, or should I just stop looking so closely? After looking at he first couple pictures I scrubbed it pretty good with some Hoppes and a q-tip. The q-tip didn't catch, so it didn't seem to be too rough.

Any thoughts?

Should mention - brand new, with about 400 rds through it (Got the Remington 525 bulk pack, but not sure how many rounds are in it...)

Attachments

• riii_crown.jpg
      riii_crown.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 274

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I'm not sure, but it looks like porosity to me. I would recommend calling Ruger's service department.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Could just need a recrown.

Are you sure the gun is new? Some people use Peroxide (VERY BAD!) to clean out lead buildup and it will eat metal just like it appears there.

Ruger MKIII's are notorious for rough bores (They need to be lapped), so they lead up rapidly until lapped.

Ruger will take care of it but youll have to send it back UPS NDA, which will cost ya.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Def brand new. Looks like 3 for 3 on going back to Ruger. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get ahold of them. Do I need to send Next Day Air if I only send the upper assembly ?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    yeah... I'm not a metallurgist (but I play one on tv... jk) and clandestine and Dan are pros, but that looks to me like suspect steel, as opposed to simple maltreatment (for which there is no reasonable scenario, in any case). hard to be sure without getting a microscope on it. in any case, it aint right. Ruger ought to cover it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    3 for 3 on going back to Ruger. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get ahold of them. Do I need to send Next Day Air if I only send the upper assembly ?

Yup, the Upper is the "Firearm", so NDA is a requirement unless an FFL sends it out for you, if they do thay can use ground shipping methods.

Ruger may issue a call tag to cover the shipping so give them a call first. If they dont your out $50.00 to send it. Hopfull they make it right becasue it will cost $50.00 every time.

Its very common for a factory repair to not get done right the first time.

From my experience the WORST for getting the job done right on the first trip is Taurus, C.A.I., SIG, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Para Ordnance, and Auto Ordnance. You should consider yourself lucky if it takes less than 3 trips to remedy your problem.

Colt, Charles Daly, PTR, Arsenal, Magnum Research, Keltec, and Ruger are hit/miss or at about 50/50.

Beretta, HK, CZ, FN, Walther, Marlin, Bushmaster, Remington, Mossberg, Glock, Smith and Wesson usually get it right the first time.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Thanks, I've sent Ruger an email, and I'll get them on the phone this week. I'll you guys know whether it's :thumbsup: or :tdown:

Thanks again for the advice!

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Yup, the Upper is the "Firearm", so NDA is a requirement unless an FFL sends it out for you, if they do thay can use ground shipping methods.

Ruger may issue a call tag to cover the shipping so give them a call first. If they dont your out $50.00 to send it. Hopfull they make it right becasue it will cost $50.00 every time.

Its very common for a factory repair to not get done right the first time.

From my experience the WORST for getting the job done right on the first trip is Taurus, C.A.I., SIG, Kimber, Springfield Armory, Para Ordnance, and Auto Ordnance. You should consider yourself lucky if it takes less than 3 trips to remedy your problem.

Colt, Charles Daly, PTR, Arsenal, Magnum Research, Keltec, and Ruger are hit/miss or at about 50/50.

Beretta, HK, CZ, FN, Walther, Marlin, Bushmaster, Remington, Mossberg, Glock, Smith and Wesson usually get it right the first time.

what about browning? ;)

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    pitting or imperfect to begin with is my real question. My older eyes originally thought the crown was chipping away. The close-ups make me think there're just imperfections in the production/finishing process. Looks like fouling built up in the imperfections.

Has anyone noticed anything like this before? Is it something worth going to Ruger about, or should I just stop looking so closely? After looking at he first couple pictures I scrubbed it pretty good with some Hoppes and a q-tip. The q-tip didn't catch, so it didn't seem to be too rough.

Any thoughts?

Should mention - brand new, with about 400 rds through it (Got the Remington 525 bulk pack, but not sure how many rounds are in it...)

By pitting you are talking about the black ring forming on the end of the barrel? If so my Mk III has the same thing but its more developed than yours. Probably put somewhere around 400rds of thunderbolts through her. I have a hexagram/snowflake shape looking ring on the end of my barrel, I'll post pics later.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    has anyone every had to send a browning back? i have never herd of one.

what about browning? ;)

Those are now pretty much all under FN now. FN or Browning (I cant keep up with tho own who), repairs Winchester, FN and Browning Firearms.

They tend to be excellent with Customer Service woth Winchesters and FN's but Browning repairs are hit/miss. One customer we know sent his O/U back 4times already and they still cant get it to fire consistently on the bottom barrel. We believe its the ammo the customer is using but we cant convince him to change it.

By pitting you are talking about the black ring forming on the end of the barrel? If so my Mk III has the same thing but its more developed than yours. Probably put somewhere around 400rds of thunderbolts through her. I have a hexagram/snowflake shape looking ring on the end of my barrel, I'll post pics later.

What you describe sounds like it could be a carbon "Star". I develops from the gasses as they exit the crown. Some Bore foam or wipe out will take that right off.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    just for kicks I took a closer look at the crown of my Ruger single six. Harder to see because it's black on black, but it looks like similar chipping around opening. This was purchased by my dad probably in the 60's.

Attachments

• singl6.jpg
      singl6.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 282

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    just for kicks I took a closer look at the crown of my Ruger single six. Harder to see because it's black on black, but it looks like similar chipping around opening. This was purchased by my dad probably in the 60's.

Your good there. Its just carbon and lead residue. Get some lead removing cloth and put it on the tip of your finger and rub the buildup. Go easy because it can remove the blueing.

We stock the lead cloth but you can get it a Basspro, Walmart, Brownells, Midway, ect....

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    Your good there. Its just carbon and lead residue. Get some lead removing cloth and put it on the tip of your finger and rub the buildup. Go easy because it can remove the blueing.

We stock the lead cloth but you can get it a Basspro, Walmart, Brownells, Midway, ect....

i might have to buy some of that...:thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As usual Chad, thanks for the advice!

Anytime. :)

BTW I was able to remove my carbon star with just a soft rag, no chemicals or anything else needed. Just had to apply a little pressure to get in the valleys of the end of the barrel.

Good to hear. Sometimes elbow grease is the perfect remedy.

i might have to buy some of that...:thumbsup:

Its good stuff for cleaning Revolver cylinder faces too. I use it all of the time. Good stuff if used sparingly.

In a pinch some Flitz metal polish or if you dont have that, toothpaste on a cotton t shirt will work as a substitute but not as effective as the lead cloth.

Always be careful when using this on blued surfaces, it will remove the finish if you go hard.

Lead removing cloth and flitz on a cloth is a great surface rust remover as well.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Update

I wanted to give an update.

I sent the above pic to Ruger and they said it definitely looked like something they should take a look at. They emailed me a shipping label and so covered shipping both ways. They had it about 3 weeks (all the other time delay was my procrastinating sending to them).

I received it back on Friday and it looked good. I put about 80 rounds through it Sunday and cleaned it and the pic is below (please disregard the lint!).

Now, I just need to work on getting my groups smaller!

Also, I especially wanted to thank Chad, Dan, and all the others for the advice. You guys rock :party29:

Attachments

• rugercrown2.jpg
      rugercrown2.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads