• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recon-Jack

Dec 6, 2014
    This is my first post and I have a question for you all. I know if you are moving to Maryland you can register your regulated firearms. I have always been a Maryland resident while in the military but I am stationed in North Carolina, I can buy regulated firearms in NC but I am unsure if I will be legal to bring them back because technically I'm not a new resident to Maryland. Any one familiar with this loophole?

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    :wave: Greetings!
    Sorry, can't really help, but if you bought a "banned" firearm prior to 10/1/13 you should be OK. Others will be along shortly to provide more in depth help.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Since you have always been a Maryland resident, registration is voluntary.
    You are also good to go on all those evil hi cap mags they sell down there.

Recon-Jack

Dec 6, 2014
    you're saying the registration is voluntary even if I bought them after Oct,1 2013?
    I would like that to be true, is seems ridiculous that returning service members wouldn't have some kind of exemption since I could easily change my residence to NC then to MD and register them just like anyone else.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Regulated long guns, or regulated handguns?

Regulated long guns are now flat-out banned, unless you owned them before 10/1/13.

You should be okay with handguns though, but you might still have to register them within 90 days of returning to Maryland. I'm not sure how the dual residency works. I guess you'd also need a purchase permit from the local N.C. sheriff to buy handguns there, unless you have a carry permit.

Why return to Maryland? You're young. Don't dig yourself in here. Once you start putting down roots, it becomes harder and harder to get free again.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    you're saying the registration is voluntary even if I bought them after Oct,1 2013?

Not quite. I didn't repeat what others correctly said before me about the Oct 1, 2013 deadline.

If you bought, for example, an AK or non HBAR 223 AR rifle after Oct 1, 2013. You can neither register it nor bring it in state.

SB 281 FAQ may be helpful http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281&highlight=281

The info on lowers and 80% lowers may be incorrect, at the time it was thought they too would be illegal to buy after SB 281 took effect.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    You might say the law makes no sense, I can't bring my AK rifle but I can buy an AK pistol.
    True, the law has no logic to it so don't expect any.

You might ask who's going to know if I bring in a banned gun?
    Ask that and this thread goes on for another 20 pages about what ifs. :sad20:
    Enforcement presents certain difficulties.

You might trade, sell or modify your banned guns to a MD acceptable configuration. For instance 9mm 300 blackout AR's are ok. HBAR uppers are all good. The VZ 58 and 2008 are not really AK's. SBR rules are very confusing right now in MD, and under challenge, so I am not the one to advise on that.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    When out of state, though still a resident of your home state, would you not have to follow the laws of both the state of purchase and the state of residence?
    Would you have legally been able to purchase a banned firearm after 10/1/13 if you were maintaining residency in your H.O.R. (Home of record aka Maryland) ?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would think real hard of finding another state. VA or PA are close and much more friendly.

No loopholes for military. Also, don't assume that handguns are all OK, there are some which have been banned by name.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Why return to Maryland? You're young. Don't dig yourself in here. Once you start putting down roots, it becomes harder and harder to get free again.

I would think real hard of finding another state. VA or PA are close and much more friendly..

Don't move back, stay in Free America!

OP, do you see a consensus in the above quoted posts??? I hope you do and take heed. Also OP, you may wanna' check out (google it) "Radio Free Europe" as I'm pretty sure that's well before your time. After you read about what it is and why it was implemented, the comparison to it and the politics in MD aren't very dissimilar. Regardless, welcome to MDS.

Recon-Jack

Dec 6, 2014
    We need pro gunners to come to Maryland, not leave. I've fought too long to come home and give up to the sheep.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm confused. You're a MD resident, correct? Any long gun purchases you made would need to comply with the laws of both NC and MD. What are you trying to bring back that you think is problematic? If your post-SB281 purchases were legal, I don't see a problem, and there's no need to register those items. If the purchases were pre-SB281, and are now banned in MD, you need to register them.

Best bet? Don't come back here. Stupid gun laws notwithstanding, there are much better places to live.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This is my first post and I have a question for you all. I know if you are moving to Maryland you can register your regulated firearms. I have always been a Maryland resident while in the military but I am stationed in North Carolina, I can buy regulated firearms in NC but I am unsure if I will be legal to bring them back because technically I'm not a new resident to Maryland. Any one familiar with this loophole?

Hiya from Fredneck County. Not going to answer that question, since others are trying to do so.

What part of MD are you moving back to?

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    We need pro gunners to come to Maryland, not leave. I've fought too long to come home and give up to the sheep.

First, welcome home and thank you for your service. I do agree with what you said but be prepared as coming back to Maryland is kinda' like being a member of the 600 riding into the "Valley of Death". We fight the gallant fight but many residents have "blundered" and voted in folks devoted to taking away our constitutional rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom