• ...and so much more!
  • Scratch

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 18, 2013
    Annapolis
    Here's the full article:

Commandant calls for new crackdown on barracks life, Marine behavior

The Marine Corps commandant wants tough new measures put in place in barracks across the service to “reawaken” it morally and crack down on bad behavior, Marine Corps Times has learned.

Gen. Jim Amos delivered his plan Monday to his senior officers during the General Officer Symposium at Quantico, Va. It calls for a variety of new initiatives, including the installation of security cameras in each barracks, the incorporation of more staff noncommissioned officers and officers on duty, and the arming of all officers on duty and staff NCOs on duty at all times, according to briefing slides from the commandant’s address.

Amos’ presentation to general officers came six months after Officer Candidates School at Quantico was put on lockdown late March 21 following an apparent murder-suicide. Marine officials said Sgt. Eusebio Lopez, 25, shot and killed Cpl. Jacob Wooley, 23, and Lance Cpl. Sara Castro Mata, 19, before turning his gun on himself. All three Marines were staff members at the school, considered a revered proving ground for prospective Marine officers.

Rest here: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/art...s-new-crackdown-barracks-life-Marine-behavior

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Well, does he mean "duty" as in the Officer of the Day/Sergeant of the Guard/ Duty Hut, or does he mean "duty" as in 24/7??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Well, does he mean "duty" as in the Officer of the Day/Sergeant of the Guard/ Duty Hut, or does he mean "duty" as in 24/7??

He means OOD and those on watch. Also wants more SNCO to pull duty in the barracks where that is typically the NCO's on duty there with the OOD making periodic rounds.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

From the article it appears to mean only officers, SNCO, and NCO that are assigned the current watch; not every Marine, all the time.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    From the article it appears to mean only officers, SNCO, and NCO that are assigned the current watch; not every Marine, all the time.

You, me, and Fox123 get this, but the inter webs are spinning it so that all Marines everywhere will get to be armed at all times.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    This smacks more of making the OOD and the Watch into armed Internal Affairs groups. The article is more focused on disciplining the current USMC, not protection from outside/insider threats. As 3rdRcn stated, this is just politics.

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    This smacks more of making the OOD and the Watch into armed Internal Affairs groups. The article is more focused on disciplining the current USMC, not protection from outside/insider threats. As 3rdRcn stated, this is just politics.

This, sadly, is exactly what it means. Currently activated reservist- we had a SNCO/Off meeting about it last week.

Back to the peace-time Marine Corps. Next thing you know I'll be having my Sgts conduct junk on the bunk inspections...

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    This, sadly, is exactly what it means. Currently activated reservist- we had a SNCO/Off meeting about it last week.

Back to the peace-time Marine Corps. Next thing you know I'll be having my Sgts conduct junk on the bunk inspections...

Ah, good catch. I was reading from my phone and didn't catch all of it.

Damn.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Okay, lesson of the day - read before posting.

Yes, I agree with the followups. This sounds more like posturing and "we have to crack down on our image problem" than "let's get back to basics".

:tdown:

Security cameras in the barracks? Next come what, roll call at lights-out, hygiene inspections FMF-wide, some other boot camp nonsense?

I like the idea of armed Marines, it's kind of what we're about, but I think this is just not what would help.

Bah.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Re-read his comments, this is NOT about arming ALL Marines...

This is not about arming rank & file Marines...

It concerns Officers & Non Commissioned Officers only...

You either trust your Marines or you don't...

Same Shit just another Commandant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom