Manual isn't here yet...Another Newb question: Trimming pistol brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Primarily .38/.357mag and .40S&W at the moment.

Does everyone trim this stuff or is it typically ok? And my calipers aren't here or I'd probably just go figure it out that way lol.

I love you guys and your patience.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You should trim your pistol brass too. Especially for rounds like 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP - that headspace on the mouth. Do it after your full length resize though.

If you loading a caliber that takes a roll crimp - trimming the cases helps give you an even crimp.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Doesn't hurt to trim it, and I used to trim .44, .357 and 10mm, but I don't bother anymore. Pistol brass really doesn't stretch that much, the way rifle brass will, since the pressures are much lower. If you are trying to shoot 1" groups at 25yds it might make a difference.

If you are serious about getting an exact crimp on .44/.357 and you have a lot of mixed brass it will help, as DCR mentioned. If you are pushing the envelope on your ammo, you shouldn't be doing it in mixed brass in the first place, and usually new brass won't need trimmed. If you're loading general blasting ammo in range pick-up it won't matter that much. Semi's do headspace on the case mouth but brass length is very rarely the cause of a problem.

Could make a difference with bottlenecks like the .357 Sig; I have no experience with that.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    I usually DONT trim my pistol brass... but the only reason I don't is I measure the brass before I reload. If it is within the "max case length" and "trim length" in my manuals, I will usually just leave it be. If it is UNDER, I put it in my "Bad Brass Bucket" to be recycled, if it is over, then I trim it to trim length.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I usually DONT trim my pistol brass... but the only reason I don't is I measure the brass before I reload. If it is within the "max case length" and "trim length" in my manuals, I will usually just leave it be. If it is UNDER, I put it in my "Bad Brass Bucket" to be recycled, if it is over, then I trim it to trim length.

I want my book so I can read this stuff and figure it out myself lol. That's exactly what I'd have done (after checking with you guys that is.)

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I reload 9 and have not trimmed in 1000's of rounds. Not saying it's right but I don't. I load to the minimum for less recoil. When I crimp I notice a big difference between the rounds. Some show resistance more than other and some have no resistance at all. I suppose this it due to the case length. I have not had a problem with this thus far.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Trimming pistol brass is rarely beneficial or necessary. Pistol pressure is not high enough to cause the significant brass flow that necessitates trimming.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Trimming cases is more important in some calibers. As has been said:
    - Some cartridges headspace on the mouth. Those I check and trim. .40 S&W is one of those rounds.
    - Rimmed cartridges usually headspace on the rim. .357 is one of those. But, as has been said, uniform length will give you a more consistent crimp when loading a batch.
    - Rimless cases that headspace on the shoulder also get checked/trimmed.

I've used the Lee case length gages and trimmers for many years. It isn't a perfect system, but it works for me. As you go through brass and sort it for reloading (especially range brass you'll accumulate), you'll find a good amount of variance in length.

On the otherhand, like tdt91 says, I too have loaded many many 9mm rounds without trimming each and every case. Same with .40 S&W. Never had an issue.

More often than not I do check and trim my cases. To what extent depends on the cartridge, firearm I'll feed it to and what projectile and charge I'll be loading.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    But I do sort my brass by headstamp. Mostly because major 9 is hard on the brass (i get post uspsa range brass) and I handle every case to look for splits and sort out the mil junk that needs swaging.

I just loaded 4000 9mm and found 4
    Split cases in my brass.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Trimming pistol brass

In thousands (>100.000) of rounds, I have never trimmed a piece of pistol brass, including those that head space off the mouth.
    I also load mixed brass (different manufacturers). IIRC, one of the gunzine gurus(?Petty?)did a test to check the accuracy of mixed brass, and found no difference between ammo loaded from mixed brass and that loaded in carefully separated cases. However, I don't compete in action pistol like Alby above and only put in enough powder to make the pistol cycle reliably.
    I suppose if I were a serious bulls eye shooter, I might think about it.
    DocAitch

fisunshine

Feb 17, 2010
    not necessary. save the money from the new toy and buy something else.
    I have loaded a bunch of .40 in the last year and haven't had the need to trim brass

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    just for clarity, i do not load any major 9, but guys in the 'brass pool' do, and when i see what it does to the cases, i think they are crazy. major 9 is not a good idea imo.

Cowboy T

Haven't done quite as many as DocAitch, but I have done about 25,000 rounds of revolver cartridges (.38/357 and .45 Colt). Haven't trimmed a single one, and they shoot just fine. Just recently developed a load for .44 Spl, mixed range cases, no trimming. All of them shot great, dead-on at 22 yds, if I do my part.

Will take DocAitch's advice into account when I start reloading for .45 ACP.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Primarily .38/.357mag and .40S&W at the moment.

Does everyone trim this stuff or is it typically ok? And my calipers aren't here or I'd probably just go figure it out that way lol.

I love you guys and your patience.

Congrats on your new toys....!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Enjoy.... Like everyone else said here.. really no need to trim pistol brass.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    .38/.357 really don't require trimming. Only need to worry with it if you are extremely particular with a crimp. I've shot thousands without trimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom