• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    Does this general knife style have a name?

Mantis MT5 Kunitza

I really like this general shape, looking for a knife like it, any suggestions?

What I like/want in a knife:

=beefy blade (ideally from one of the lesser expensive 'wonder steels')
    very strong scales/handle that when open covers and reinforces as much of the

=blade as possible (to strengthen it).

=Very strong longing mechanism, ideally a Tri-ad lock, cross-bolt or similarly strong

=ideally a reverse tanto or wharren cliff shaped blade with full flat grind, 3mm is ideal but 4 or 5mm ok too (up to 1/4" thick)

=light as possible ideally 4oz

=blade length, ideal is 4 or 5", a little shorter or longer is ok too.

=cost, ideally around $100, not over $200

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You’re talking about this knife, correct?

https://knifeworks.com/mantis-kunitza-folder-black-coated-154cm-stainless-blade/

(No idea idea if that’s a good website or not)

What specifically do you like about the knife, because your requests are confusing and somewhat conflicting. The design that blade looks to be a recurve style, with a 3/4ths grind of some kind, maybe flat. In your request you asked for a reverse tanto or wharncliffe blade, full flat grind. I think some blade makers sell a recurve reverse tanto or wharncliffe, but it’s a specific enough request that you should be able to just google that and find the available options. Just based on a cursory knowledge, the recurve isn’t going to be as pronounced as your example though.

As far as wonder steel, that isn’t a set category, and depending on who you talk to could mean a lot of things depending on how the steel was treated. For instance the mantis knife looks to be 154CM, which is pretty good, but not as nice as CPM154 (same formula but powdered metallurgy made specifically for knives to improve final alloy characteristics).

So I guess my recommendation is either spend some time googling to figure out what blade profile you’re actually looking for, or clarify a little. Your request for help is both extremely specific and fairly nonspecific. I can tell you that outside of close outs, you’re going to have difficulty finding a big chunky pocket knife with a flipper made of a “wonder steel” bearing a fairly uncommon blade shape and profile in the $100-$200 range. But I’m sure there is something out there that you’ll like if you find a sale or close out.

NebTim

Leonidas likes Patriots
    Apr 11, 2018
    Marilandistan
    very fair, thanks.

After looking at this Mantis closer, I think it's a bit too heavy, what other brands are like this general style? Also, going to up my cost expecations, thanks!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    very fair, thanks.

After looking at this Mantis closer, I think it's a bit too heavy, what other brands are like this general style? Also, going to up my cost expecations, thanks!
    Are you more interested in the overall knife style or are you asking specifically about the recurve blade with a flat grind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom