• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Interesting twist

The proposal essentially grants states "reciprocity" regarding concealed carry provisions.

In other words, the provision would grant gun owners the right to obtain a firearm and a concealed-carry permit in their home state, then use the permit to carry and conceal the firearm in another state.

Though many states have laws on buying firearms and concealed-carry permits, the federal provision, if adopted, could trump state laws. (MOM probably is shitting his pants!)

http://http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/13/manchin-toomey-deal-could-allow-gun-owners-seller-to-carry-sell-across-state/?test=latestnews

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I wonder if it would allow non-resident permits to have the same reciprocity

anyone read the text?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    well, now that the spotlight's been lit up on the provision you can bet Feinstein and the sheeple will rally to kill it. Lot easier to stop something getting through Congress than to succeed in getting something through. Great idea, though (if it could be separated from the associated nonsense...).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the Feinstein AWB amendment is accepted, the entire bill will go down the toilet IMO.

Reciprocity would be nice, but not at the expense of having a ban on many weapons and mag limits.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I wonder if it would allow non-resident permits to have the same reciprocity

anyone read the text?

Yes i read it in entirely, as well as the main bill, S 649. There is no such thing in the text. It does allow for a person who has a CCW in one state to forego the background check in other states, based on the standards applied by the issuing state. (edited for better clarity, see notes below).

Edit: the Manchin-Toomey amendment includes a universal national "TRANSPORT" code. Almost identical to MD's. People are confusing "transport" and "carry" terms. This is to avoid the current, take it out, put it back, put the ammo in the front seat/back seat every time you cross state lines. I can imagine states that have more lenient transport laws to oppose the language.

*** With all this talk about "gun control", I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns away from criminals ***

Last edited:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I love the idea of 'legally' carrying between states, BUT I detest the Fed's trumping state rights!

States do not have the right to trump INDIVIDUAL rights, and I am 100% in favor of the Feds trumping states that attempt to do so. As the founders clearly intended. YMMV...

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Ddeannohnson just posted a very thorough analysis. He concluded that there is no such provision (required reciprocity) in the senate legislation

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yes i read it in entirely, as well as the main bill, S 649. There is no such thing in the text. It does allow for a person who has a CCW in one state to forego the background check in other states, if the purchasing state agrees.

Not "if the purchasing state agrees," but if the permit was issued "only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such officlal does not indicate that possession of the firearm by the unlicensed tranferee would be in violation of Federal State, or local law." This probably means that the exception applies if a state makes some effort to determine whether a person is disqualified from possessing firearms, before the carry permit is issued, which most if not all do. Thus, it is not a question of what the state in which the sale occurs may agree to -- it's a question of the standards applied by the state that issued the permit to the would-be buyer.

Last edited:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Interesting twist

The proposal essentially grants states "reciprocity" regarding concealed carry provisions.

In other words, the provision would grant gun owners the right to obtain a firearm and a concealed-carry permit in their home state, then use the permit to carry and conceal the firearm in another state.

Though many states have laws on buying firearms and concealed-carry permits, the federal provision, if adopted, could trump state laws. (MOM probably is shitting his pants!)

http://http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/13/manchin-toomey-deal-could-allow-gun-owners-seller-to-carry-sell-across-state/?test=latestnews

Fox News and CNN both got this completely wrong. See my summary of the key provisions of Manchin-Toomey that relate to firearms transfers and background checks, especially paragraph no. 5, here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2350498#post2350498

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    So another thread started with information that is likely absolutely wrong.......based on a Fox News article....:sad20:

We could avoid blindly believing Fox and do some analysis ourselves before posting this stuff

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I love the idea of 'legally' carrying between states, BUT I detest the Fed's trumping state powers!

FIFY :innocent0

States do not have rights, they have powers, go back and re-read the 10th Amendment: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Rights are for the people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom