• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    F all this, you are your brothers keeper.
    If a guy walks in a bank and pulls a gun and your walking out. Do you just call 911 and keep walking?
    He shoots 2 people in the bank and walks out, you just stay on the line to 911?
    It is all situational circumstance.

Everyone is the first line of defense.
    Like they say a cop is minutes away.

No cop in the world is better than me with a gun.

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    I too wish there were more details as to how this all went down. But I can't help thinking he told his story to the police, thinking he did nothing wrong, instead of exercising his right to remain silent and waiting for an attorney before making any type of statement.

Time and time again attorneys tell us to keep out mouths shut, especially during times of stress (right after an incident) yet we feel compelled to talk. We have the right to remain silent. Anything we say can and will be used against us. That being said, anything we say, CANNOT be used to clear us.

Do we know if any on the 2A Esq's are intimately following this for us?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes, less talk is more. But the trick here is that if the cops don't seem to be heading towards a charge ("here's your gun back...") it definitely reduces that feeling of urgency about shutting your yap and getting your attorney in the loop. If the cop said, looking at the guy in cuffs with the machete on the ground, "So... what the heck is going on here?" and the bail bondsman said, "I'm not saying a word until my attorney is involved," he very likely would have gone for a ride. It's an understandable instinct to at least explain SOME of what happened, but that is where some sorry stories start it seems.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I too wish there were more details as to how this all went down. But I can't help thinking he told his story to the police, thinking he did nothing wrong, instead of exercising his right to remain silent and waiting for an attorney before making any type of statement.

Time and time again attorneys tell us to keep out mouths shut, especially during times of stress (right after an incident) yet we feel compelled to talk. We have the right to remain silent. Anything we say can and will be used against us. That being said, anything we say, CANNOT be used to clear us.

Do we know if any on the 2A Esq's are intimately following this for us?

Here is the case search file for the case. Anyone can follow the case on case search. I don't have any details about what happened. No counsel is yet listed on case search. Mr. Williams would be most wise to retain counsel ASAP.

Attachments

• Case Header Information Billy Williams.pdf
      139.5 KB · Views: 183

md_06unltd

Oct 26, 2016
    Sugarloaf
    Yeah, I guess this is a bit different since he placed the suspect under "citizens arrest" as opposed to shooting him, some statement would have to be made, but not more than necessary.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Carrying outside of the permit restrictions is now a criminal offense.

Walking his dog, was not part of his bail bond business.

Correct. Doesn't matter what he or we WANT the law to say, it only matters what it currently says. He also admits to having another option but chose not to use it. Many states', ESPECIALLY Maryland, would consider using deadly force as a last resort only.

Of course if he was actually "on the job" he should be cleared or not charged in the first place

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes, less talk is more. But the trick here is that if the cops don't seem to be heading towards a charge ("here's your gun back...") it definitely reduces that feeling of urgency about shutting your yap and getting your attorney in the loop. If the cop said, looking at the guy in cuffs with the machete on the ground, "So... what they heck is going on here?" and the bail bondsman said, "I'm not saying a word until my attorney is involved," he very likely would have gone for a ride. It's an understandable instinct to at least explain SOME of what happened, but that is where some sorry stories start it seems.

Yup. Explaining what just happened and why did what you did in the proper legal verbiage may even be helpful. ANd then shutting up by invoking your 6th Amendment rights. But, of course, most folks don't know the right verbiage or when to shut up. The cops don't want you to shut up so they won't help you. Very tough situation.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Till he tries to get the restrictions removed. Hope he has a good lawyer.

He should NOT need a good lawyer...

The man stopped a knife wielding idiot who was bent on destruction and likely would have killed the girl he was looking for... put him in cuffs and waited for to LEO to arrive... and never injured anyone in the process.

But... he used a hand gun to stop the guy... so...
    :omg:
    The fools of the world want him to be punished.

They would be happier if he just let the guy cut up the girlfriend. :sad20::tdown:

Beach Runner

Mar 20, 2018
    As screwed up as the may issue process is, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his permit altogether. Removal of restrictions would be surprising.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    As screwed up as the may issue process is, I wouldn't be surprised if he lost his permit altogether. Removal of restrictions would be surprising.

ONLY if they do not view his actions as "responsible".

The Police who handled the case certainly did.

It was the ASA who forced the issue with charging him.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

ONLY if they do not view his actions as "responsible".

The Police who handled the case certainly did.

It was the ASA who forced the issue with charging him.

This guy won't lose his permit, the LD are automatons and if he made his way through the justice system without being convicted. they will send his permit back forthwith.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    He claimed this:

"He said he is certified by the NRA to teach concealed-carry classes in Maryland and can carry his firearm 24 hours a day because he is always on call."

Is that true?

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Anyone used this example in an HPRB case? I think it would be a good supporting document on how the ambiguities with restrictions could result in an arrest. I also think this goes against Bonnell's statement that it is the burden of the officer to prove you are not within your restrictions. Here, it looks like the assistant state's attorney made that call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom