• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    It'll work, but I prefer something with a light rail. Most of the time a break in is going to be in the dark, and having a light attached to a pistol is one less thing to worry about having to grab if you wake up in a panic in the middle of the night, and keeps one hand free.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The OP didn't ask about "ideal" home defense handguns. He already has a Mak, that he reports he can shoot competently.

His question was, could his Mak also serve as HD handgun ? Or should be leave it locked up, and rely on stern gaze and harsh words for (less bulky than shotgun) home defense .

Exactly. I have a couple of handguns that would fit the HD bill better on paper than my PA-63, but the fact of the matter is, I shoot it better than anything else I own, so it's what goes in the biometric safe with 4 mags. Summer sees JHPs top to bottom in each mag while winter sees FMJs added to the mix for extra penetration if heavy clothing is an issue. Is it the best arrangement? Certainly not, but it's what I'm most comfortable and confident with, so it's what I use. If I get better with my Hi-Power clone, I'll switch to it, but right now I'm not where I want to be with it in a life-or-death situation.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    any home defense weapon is good but know thy enemy

I'm told judges give harsher charges/sentances for night break ins due to the possibility of bodily harm - daytime break ins are just a crime against property

When do most break-in occur?

Usually occur in the daytime when occupants are at school or work.
    July and August most the frequent months for break-ins.
    February is the least frequent for home breaks.

http://www.safeguardtheworld.com/statistics.html

Most burglaries occur between
    10 a.m. and 3 p.m., since that’s
    a prime timeframe where many
    homes are not occupied.
    Good article -----

http://www.jsu.edu/police/docs/Schoolsafety.pdf

best way to avoid burglaries - move to a decent neighborhood since most burglars live within 2 miles of the house

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Intelligent professional burglars prefer to do their thing with uniccupied premises. The flip side is when the stuff hits the fan at night/ otherwise occupied , the malfactors are more likely to be wasted, hence dangerously unpredictable, stupid, hence dangerously unpredictable. Or primary motives are for crimes against the occupants rather than "mere" property. Hence more dangerous.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Wasn't there a thread here about 3 months or more ago that the synopsis was it's a pistol cartridge and they all (relatively speaking) do the same thing/not much difference as far as trauma to the target?

If you believe the gel tests, that's correct. A modern, premium hollowpoint in .45 ACP, 9mm, .40 S&W, etc will all have similar results in gel. Even .380 was in about the same ballpark, so 9mm Makarov should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom