• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    So I am toying with the idea of getting a 9mm SBR. I saw this Mako glock conversion kit that looks pretty neat (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OOBIH8...tiveASIN=B003OOBIH8&adid=1Y6SPJCS9BX9Q0K8XEZQ) but after the $200 tax stamp, $300 or so for a used/refurbished glock, and $500 for the Mako, I figure there are other platforms that will give me a better bang for my buck. I really want a stock, otherwise I would go the cheaper AOW route. I'm pretty wide open; would love to be able to do end up with an SBR for around $600-800 but am not sure if something decent is possible for this price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Wow, just found the Roni: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqeUDC-c79k.

Last edited:

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    That looks pretty cool, and I've always had a thing for pistols with folding stocks. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll have a pretty short sight radius. It does look like the mako kit allows for a longer sight radius if you attach sights to the rails.

The only other cheap options to go the 9mm SBR route would be to find something like an MPA 9mm carbine and SBR it. Or Maybe you could SBR a Hi Point carbine, though it seems silly to waste a tax stamp on that. I handled a 9mm MPA pistol at the chantilly gun show, and good God was that thing heavy. If want something nicer, you could go for an UZI carbine. There are a couple of good threads on the board about going that route.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMHO, the Glock carbine kits make a lot more sense in Israel, where they originated; you can get a pistol there pretty easy, a rifle not so much. At $800, you're just not that far from a Colt Commando or an SBR Uzi.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

That looks pretty cool, and I've always had a thing for pistols with folding stocks. One thing to keep in mind is that you'll have a pretty short sight radius. It does look like the mako kit allows for a longer sight radius if you attach sights to the rails.

The only other cheap options to go the 9mm SBR route would be to find something like an MPA 9mm carbine and SBR it. Or Maybe you could SBR a Hi Point carbine, though it seems silly to waste a tax stamp on that. I handled a 9mm MPA pistol at the chantilly gun show, and good God was that thing heavy. If want something nicer, you could go for an UZI carbine. There are a couple of good threads on the board about going that route.

Jeez, I wasn't even thinking about sight radius with these conversion kits! Having to use the glock's sights on the pdw would get pretty annoying.

I'm not terribly keen on mac looks plus if I ever go full auto an m11/9 seems like a pretty good way to get into it so I'm not sure how I feel about getting a semi-auto right now. Uzis might be a little too far out of my price range unfortunately, especially after adding a better stock and rail system.

IMHO, the Glock carbine kits make a lot more sense in Israel, where they originated; you can get a pistol there pretty easy, a rifle not so much. At $800, you're just not that far from a Colt Commando or an SBR Uzi.
    A 9mm SBR AR is definitely something I could see myself getting into.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    IMHO, a pistol is designed to be a pistol. Before dropping that kind of money and time just get a Beretta Cx4 Storm.

CX4-Storm-Rig.jpg

http://www.berettausa.com/products/cx4-storm/

Or the AR Style 9mm or Semi Uzi. I would not waste a Stamp on a Semi Mac or high point. I think the best thing with the Storm is that you don't need a to SBR it to still have a gun that does not look like an ant eater... I think the Storm looks fine as is where a Mac with a 16" barrel just looks stupid! This coming from a FA M11 owner.

Or if you want to get away from 9mm, a PS90 or something like that.
    http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF009&gid=FNG006

These conversions like this are like people who put "rims" on a MiniVan IMHO. Yes you can spend a lot of time, money and effort and get yourself a really upgraded Glock but in the end, you still just have a Glock... This stuff was done back in the day putting stocks on Lugers and HiPowers...etc. There is a reason they stopped. I know its probably not what you wanted to hear but thats my 2 cents. Also I can say I personally do not really care for semi Sub Cal guns. I have owned a Semi Thompson and a SBR Semi MP40 and did not really enjoy either as much as I thought I would and sold both. Just not enough kick for a rifle and not as fun as a pistol and no FA switch... I guess its just not my thing.

As I always say, save the money on a SBR and get FA... much more fun!

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    IMHO, a pistol is designed to be a pistol. Before dropping that kind of money and time just get a Beretta Cx4 Storm.

CX4-Storm-Rig.jpg

http://www.berettausa.com/products/cx4-storm/

Or the AR Style 9mm or Semi Uzi. I would not waste a Stamp on a Semi Mac or high point. I think the best thing with the Storm is that you don't need a to SBR it to still have a gun that does not look like an ant eater... I think the Storm looks fine as is where a Mac with a 16" barrel just looks stupid! This coming from a FA M11 owner.

Or if you want to get away from 9mm, a PS90 or something like that.
    http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF009&gid=FNG006

These conversions like this are like people who put "rims" on a MiniVan IMHO. Yes you can spend a lot of time, money and effort and get yourself a really upgraded Glock but in the end, you still just have a Glock... This stuff was done back in the day putting stocks on Lugers and HiPowers...etc. There is a reason they stopped. I know its probably not what you wanted to hear but thats my 2 cents. Also I can say I personally do not really care for semi Sub Cal guns. I have owned a Semi Thompson and a SBR Semi MP40 and did not really enjoy either as much as I thought I would and sold both. Just not enough kick for a rifle and not as fun as a pistol and no FA switch... I guess its just not my thing.

As I always say, save the money on a SBR and get FA... much more fun!
    Frankly man, I am pretty much with on everything that you said. Aesthetically I'm just not a huge Mac fan and only see myself owning one if it was full auto.

If I already had a glock, I might be more inclined to pick up a Roni conversion but I just don't think I can justify the cost of the whole package only to end up with a modded glock (and I am also just not really a glock fan).

The idea of being able to quickly put 3-4 rounds on a button from a compact 9mm with a forward grip is really what's sucking me in.

I have never really looked at the storm; seemed pretty high priced compared to the hi points. Do you own a storm?

From what everyone has said, if I go the 9mm sbr route an ar platform is looking like the best option.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The idea of being able to quickly put 3-4 rounds on a button from a compact 9mm with a forward grip is really what's sucking me in.
    Have you considered a Sub-2000 with quad rail? Cheaper than a 9mm SBR AR-15 build, but still fairly compact (especially in transport).

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Have you considered a Sub-2000 with quad rail? Cheaper than a 9mm SBR AR-15 build, but still fairly compact (especially in transport).

Hmmm, I had forgotten about the sub 2000....

It's a little longer than I would like but for the price, definitely something to consider.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Frankly man, I am pretty much with on everything that you said. Aesthetically I'm just not a huge Mac fan....
    I have never really looked at the storm; seemed pretty high priced compared to the hi points. Do you own a storm?

Well in that case... consider just saving for a FA Mac! Read my old thread on getting a Max11 upper for it. For about $4K you can be into a good shooting subMG. Best money I have spent!

You can get the Storm for like $650 on GB. I figure a 92FS gets $600 or so... so its in line with what you are getting. Beretta is a quality firearm and you are getting what you pay for.

Ok, I really do not mean to piss people off... I personally have a certain standard of quality in the firearms I add to my collection. KelTec and Hipoints just do not make that cut for me. I would not suggest or consider one myself. I do not mean to be stuck up about it but I would rather have a few better quality firearms.

I would not be a Mac fan at all except for the Max11 upper. Its all the difference in the world and all you are basically keeping is the frame and trigger group. I would not buy a semi auto.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    Well in that case... consider just saving for a FA Mac! Read my old thread on getting a Max11 upper for it. For about $4K you can be into a good shooting subMG. Best money I have spent!

You can get the Storm for like $650 on GB. I figure a 92FS gets $600 or so... so its in line with what you are getting. Beretta is a quality firearm and you are getting what you pay for.

Ok, I really do not mean to piss people off... I personally have a certain standard of quality in the firearms I add to my collection. KelTec and Hipoints just do not make that cut for me. I would not suggest or consider one myself. I do not mean to be stuck up about it but I would rather have a few better quality firearms.

I would not be a Mac fan at all except for the Max11 upper. Its all the difference in the world and all you are basically keeping is the frame and trigger group. I would not buy a semi auto.
    Didn't realize that was you. I've actually read that thread and after seeing your Mac, pretty much decided my first FA was going to use a near identical setup. Problem is, 4 grand is alot to drop right now and I just don't think I could justify it (I am soon to enter a PhD program fulltime which means very limited income for the next 5 years or so...). I really shouldn't be spending anymore money on new guns at all but I am fiending for a new toy. I should really just throw a battlecomp on my ar, buy a few other accessories, and call it a day.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Didn't realize that was you. I've actually read that thread and after seeing your Mac....it a day.

Yeah thats my Max11. If you want to try it come on out to our AGC shoots (also a thread on that).

I understand on the money. I had to sell some guns to buy mine FA guns. Just remember this... its all a matter of what you want. How many guns do you own that you could part with? Add up the value. Would you trade them for the chance to get into FA? I also see people send $1K on SBRs and then say they can't afford FA... well 3 SBRs later and they would have a FA gun that they might enjoy a lot more. Its easy to spend a little here and there and hard to save for the big purchase. You should be able to get a M11 for $3K. Save for that. Once you get that then go for the Max Upper... It will not take as long as you think and if you sell a few guns, you can get there quick!

Of course FA is not for everyone. Come try it out first and make sure thats the way you want to go! I did and never looked back. Now shooting 9mm out of my M9 Beretta seems like a waste of good FA ammo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom