• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Have used a single stage press, would rather purchase a progressive to make the most of my time. Will be starting out with 9, but will also want to do .45 when I get my next gun and probably .40 at some point for some friends. I'm strictly going to be reloading for handguns and will never reload rifle so that's not important to be able to do on the press I will need to purchase. I've come across 4 choices that are highly recommended from various sources:
    -Hornady Lock-n-load AP
    -Dillon 650
    -Lee Loadmaster
    -Lee Pro 1000
    Here is a link I found with a great comparison of the top 3 choices:
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

I don't want to start a war about what is better or anything like that, I think based on all of the research I have done the Hornady and Dillon both seem to be very highly recommended and loved, and both are quality machines. Lee also makes some quality stuff, although it seems like most people start off on a Lee and then move up. The Lee Loadmaster and 1000 are much cheaper than the others.

As I said, I will be reloading ONLY handgun cartridges. I usually shoot about 800 rounds per month, give or take a few hundred, and may crank out some for some friends as well. I would like something with that will fill my needs and be most efficient for my time. What do you guys recommend, do you think the Lee would be fine and hold up over time or would it make more sense to just buy one of the more expensive presses now? I don't mind spending the money, but if I can get by with the Lee that would be great. If not, then buying either the Hornady or Dillon would be fine too. I just want to buy one quality machine that will work great and will last me a long time, so what do you guys with some experience recommend?

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I use the hornady it works fine for me. I have had a lee progessive in the past and found it was fickle and seemed to need constant tweeking. The hornady system is solid and leaves room for lots of up grades. The only problem I had with the hornady was due to me not adjusting it right. I called hornady and they shipped replacment parts fast and free. I was very pleased with there customer service.

I have no time on a dillion so no info on those to go on.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I looked at the same presses you did. In the end I went with the hornady l-n-l AP. I love it and I'm getting ready to add the case feeder for it. My advice would be buy the best you can afford. Lee is good but the Hornady and Dillion are better.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    If I were starting over again, I'd go with the Lee Pro 1000. It's not a matter of "getting by" with the Lee. If you set it up, use it and maintain it properly, it will last as long as any other and serve you well.

That being said, if you have the money and are sure you'll be cranking out several hundred rounds a month for a long time, you might as well go with the Hornady or the Dillon. The Dillon also prevents your being sneered at by the kind of people who brag about being overcharged for routine maintenance on their BMWs.

tholmes721

Jul 13, 2012
    I recently made the jump to reloading as well and chose the Lee suite of products based on cost and ease of use.

I took it a step further though and started collecting used wheel weights from local tire shops and began casting my own bullets to reduce costs and increase the fun factor.

One of the things I found surprising was powder and primer availability, in my immediate area. My lee reloading guide specifically recommended certain powders to insure compatibility with the powder disk for each specific bullet grain weight, however finding those powders in stock proved difficult. Since ordering online incurs a $27.50 hazmat fee for primers and powders, I ended up buying most of my stock local at BassPro, however this required me to do some additional research on their available powders and what the recommended loads are.

After a lot of research and testing I finally have a decent load for my first rounds and got great results.

Have fun, I've enjoyed every step of the process!

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks for all of the responses guys. Yeah I have been leaning towards the Hornady because of the thorough review I linked to, and now even more so hearing some of these responses. I'm not saying that I am going to rush through it or anything, but I want to definitely crank out as many bullets as I can safely do when I have the time do do it. Definitely thinking about a case feeder as well as a bullet feeder so it's pretty much just pulling the handle and making sure everything is working properly.

Oh, and welcome to the site Tholmes721!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I like my Lee Pro 1000, simply because I know no other.

It did take a few tries to get everything setup JUST right, but once I did, it's been rock solid and hasn't let me down yet. I'm doing .223/.45ACP, aside from switching out the turret head/shell plate, I make no adjustments - maybe a slight tweak on seating die and powder station depending on round, but that's it.

May not have the prestige and the mass capability of some other brands, but if your getting into the game and don't have a few hundred to spend on a press alone - it's worth looking at easily.

Moving slowly, I still churn out a few hundred rounds every time I sit down at the bench.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    I like my Lee Pro 1000, simply because I know no other.

It did take a few tries to get everything setup JUST right, but once I did, it's been rock solid and hasn't let me down yet. I'm doing .223/.45ACP, aside from switching out the turret head/shell plate, I make no adjustments - maybe a slight tweak on seating die and powder station depending on round, but that's it.

May not have the prestige and the mass capability of some other brands, but if your getting into the game and don't have a few hundred to spend on a press alone - it's worth looking at easily.

Moving slowly, I still churn out a few hundred rounds every time I sit down at the bench.

That's actually the one I first started looking at that got me thinking it may be worthwhile to start to reload, especially at the price of that press. I have seen so many mixed reviews though on Lee, which is the only reason why i'm kind of hesitant to go that route (kind of like the Gen 4 glocks in 9mm). I don't mind making some small adjustments here and there, but I definitely don't want something I have to tinker with constantly when I could be cranking out ammo. I don't know how much time I am going to have each week, so I want to maximize it with the most efficient press I can get.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Understandable.

To be honest, if I stick with the same bullet/powder combo, then there's no adjustments I make. The only time I have to adjust is when I go to a diff't bullet/powder/powder charge.

The last 1k .45ACP rounds I've made, no adjustments needed.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I can recommend Dillon, due to owning a RL550B. I also know of a Dillon that has been used to load .222 Remington for 25+ years, with no issues to speak of. Also the few times I have had an issue the guys at Dillon will stay on the phone with you for as long as needed to either fix the issue or reach a point where they will send a replacement part out to you, also when you call them during business hours they will generally answer the phone in 3 rings or less (most of the time it never rang at all before they answered). Dillon has a Lifetime No B.S. Warranty on all of their products. A perk is the free subscription to their in house newsletter/booklet that comes out every month called The Blue Press. I mean who doesn't like seeing hot chicks with guns?

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Ok, I think I have narrowed my choices down and made a list. Let me know what you guys think and if I should add anything else or substitute anything for a similar product of better quality:
    -Hornady LNL Press
    -Primer Flip Tray
    -Shell Plates for 9, .40 and .45
    -9mm, .40 and .45 Dies
    -RCBS Lock-Out Die
    -Bullet Feeding Die
    -3 or 4 extra Primer Pick Up Tubes
    -Digital scale (either Hornady or Frankford Arsenal)
    -Hornady Digital Calipers
    -Extra LNL Bushings (should I get the 3 pack or 10 pack?)
    -Case Tumbler (Frankford Arsenal)
    -Hornady reloading book
    Home Made bullet collator/feeder and home made case feeder. About $700 all together, but I think with all of those components and obviously the powder, primers and bullets I think I should be set to start cranking out some ammo. Let me know of any suggestions you guys may have.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    get two reloading book.. hornady may not cover all powder/bullet you be using. (at least what i found out just having a one book).

bushings... find out how many dies you got.. and start from there.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Save yourself a few bucks and buy a standard dail caliber. Unless you really want a digital one. Also you can never have enough reloading manuals.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    You might want to consider:

• A kinetic bullet puller
    • A powder trickler
    • Case gauges for each caliber
    • A beam scale for verifying your digital scale

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Save yourself some more money buy buying a beam scale. Plenty of discussions about what can throw a digital scale off, are already on the forum. Temperature, humidity, even a fluorescent light can throw a digital scale off.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    Forgot to put the bullet puller on the list. I have some reloading info on the computer already but will probably add an extra book or two down the line also, can never have "too much" info. Will also look into the beam scale more, I think digital would obviously be quicker but I may just buy both and verify the digital is on once in awhile just to be safe. I was just planning on using an extra barrel to use as a gauge since I already have extras and it will basically do the same thing.

One question though, I could be wrong, but wouldn't a trickler be used more for handloading? From all the research i've done everybody says the Hornady powder measure with tumbler is very accurate and one of the better ones to use and already comes included with the press. I'm not too worried about reloading for competition grade ammo, I just want reliable ammo that I can use at the range at a better cost than I can buy it for which i'm doing now.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Try to get the books from the manufacturers of the bullets. If you are using Sierra, get the Sierra book. If you are using Hornady, the the Hornady book. The only ones that breaks the mold like that is the Lymans #49 and the "One book, On caliber" books. They cover most, if not all of the possible bullets and powder combinations that are safe for use in the caliber you are loading for. You can find the "One book, One caliber" books in the link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hobb...Rprd704597&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd704597;cat105549480

I have those books in the drawer on my bench, and the bigger books on a shelf near by.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    will definitely check them out, adding The One Books to my order in .40 .45 and 9 to start with.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    For every caliber I generate more than 1 load for (primarily .308 with my dad on his RCBS), those books are a life saver so you aren't going through 3-5 different books trying to find the correct load data you want. Just put a Post-It note on the page with the load data you use, and the info is easily found for future reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom