• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just buy a Sturdy Safe.

7 Gauge Steel with a 14 Gauge Steel Inside wall to compress their fire liner

If that is not enough, then maybe some standoff, reactive armor off a surplus MRAP or M1A1

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Just a thought....

I wonder if you glued a thick piece of rubber (or something similar) to all exposed sides if it would melt and gum up any sort of cutting tool. (Sawzall, cutoff wheel, etc.)

I don't know. Just throwing it out there.

I remember drilling a TL30 composite safe about a year ago and I hit a layer of something that came out black and gooey. I stopped drilling for a minute without removing the drill bit from the hole (never do that!) and it hardened back up and froze the drill bit in place. Had a heck of a it getting it freed up and pulled back out of the safe.

Man, THAT was a miserable opening!

You could use that spray on rubberized undercoating. I had an old car that someone prayed the inside floor boards with. I had to cut out sections to replace them. What a PITA! It took a few days trying to grind that crap off enough that I could weld on it. It gummed up everything especially when it heated up.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    For years I've had ideas about beefing up cheap RSCs by laminating different sawzall-resistant materials around them.

I think an easy addition would be porcelain tile epoxied all over the outside of the RSC. In my experience, that stuff is nasty to drill through, and a sawzall won't scratch it. Then maybe glue expanded metal lath over the tile with polyurethane adhesive, parge it with concrete, then maybe another layer of porcelain, some more parged concrete perhaps with glass rods embedded, then eventually finish it off with some attractive birch plywood, glued on with polyurethane, so it looks like a built in cabinet. Of course, put a matching cabinet door on it.

I always dread sawzalling through old lath-and-plaster walls, by the way. Plaster will take the teeth right off a sawzall blade in no time.

That layer of black drill-bit-eating goo sounds interesting. I wonder what it was?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Surround the safe with reinforced concrete.
    Bolts - top, bottom, sides. . . . into the concrete.

Video camera in the area approaching the safe. (Cameras are really small now! Anyone trying to get into the safe might not even suspect they're being watched!)

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    If they don't know they are being watched, what good is the camera to keep them out?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    One of the very best thing you can do to keep your guns safer is to keep your mouth shut and don't tell every Tom, Dick, or Harry about what you own. We all have nice guns that we like to show to our friends. Often these beautiful safes that some own are displayed in their homes and we love to show them off to our friends as well as many people that just come into our homes for parties or maybe delivery or maintenance personnel like plumbers carpenters or electricians we hire.

Most guns that are stolen in homes are stolen by people we know or have met and talked to in the past. They are not typical taken by a well equipped band of gun safe crackers selecting houses at random.

Our of sight, out of mind and keep your mouth shut as much as you can will make your guns more safe.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Weld on extra sheets of steel onto the tops and sides and have a lip for them to bolt into the floor. Encase the safe in brick with a two inch or four inch gap from the sides of the safe. Use quickrete mixed with a combination of various pieces of scrap metal like multiple boxes of nails and set in layers between the brick and safe walls. You could also do a six inch gap and add a mix 4x4 pressure treated posts and concrete. The thing won't be able to be moved or rocked and the mix of materials requires tons of tools. Also put it in a cramps space so the use of prying tools is about impossible.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    One of the very best thing you can do to keep your guns safer is to keep your mouth shut and don't tell every Tom, Dick, or Harry about what you own. We all have nice guns that we like to show to our friends. Often these beautiful safes that some own are displayed in their homes and we love to show them off to our friends as well as many people that just come into our homes for parties or maybe delivery or maintenance personnel like plumbers carpenters or electricians we hire.

Most guns that are stolen in homes are stolen by people we know or have met and talked to in the past. They are not typical taken by a well equipped band of gun safe crackers selecting houses at random.

Our of sight, out of mind and keep your mouth shut as much as you can will make your guns more safe.

Well, we all know we are here on this forum because we are broke and can't afford to buy guns. Otherwise, we'd be shooting them, right? ;)

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Well, we all know we are here on this forum because we are broke and can't afford to buy guns. Otherwise, we'd be shooting them, right? ;)

Truer words were never spoken. I bring home less in my paycheck now then I did 3 years ago. I placed myself on a "don't buy anything you don't need" budget. I have tons of vacation time saved up because when I take off I want to spend money on something I can't afford. So I work. I bought three guns and a ton of ammo a few months back and I think I will be feeling the effects for the rest of the year.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    When anchoring a safe to a concrete floor, do you use a large expanding anchor bolts or do you drill way down & use epoxy/concrete?

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    Try this sign

Try this sign...:D

Attachments

• Biohazard_warning.jpg
      Biohazard_warning.jpg
      67.5 KB · Views: 314

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    You could weld thick pieces of metal in a grid pattern around your safe. Won't be able to get anything out unless multiple ones are cut through. Even welding a grid of rebar would make it much more of a bear to get through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom