• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello all,does anyone have experience with Magna ported handguns? I have a Kimber Pro Carry in .45 acp I am considering having ported,it looks good on paper but I have never shot one to have a before and after comparsion.Any thoughts? Thanks for your time and help.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I don't enjoy gas in my face while shooting. Therefore never magna ported anything. Included my BFR 500....really no need.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I've got a GP-100 6in barrel I had Mag-Na-Ported.

With hot loads it seemed to help a bit but I never had another gun to do a side by side comparison with.

All in all I would probably take the money you were going to use on it and buy ammo.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I was able to shoot a pair of 2.5in S&W 66's a few years back. One ported and the other not. I really couldn't tell the difference at all with the same ammo.

I shot a Freedom Arms .454 which was ported and it seemed to help that gun a lot more. Didn't have an uncut one to compare it to thought.

I think it depends a lot on the pistol and the ammo. You may be as well served by going with lighter ammo than having the barrel and slide ported.

You get more blast and noise with porting and I think little to small gain in recoil control and follow up shot.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I've owned some, didn't really see a big difference in recoil. I would think the downside to it is that there is more muzzle flash.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***I used to have a couple of Ruger revolvers and a Dan Wesson that were ported. It looked cool but the muzzle flash and gas spitting out all over the front sight was annoying. It was also a LOT noisier. The difference in recoil, if any, was negligible and I could not tell the difference regardless of the load, etc.. I sold those guns some time back and am happy with non-ported setups I use now.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    First 357 I ever shot years ago was a Python magnaported, at the time I thought it was the neatest thing in the world.............. now in retrospect, not so sure it was such a great thing to do. Anyway, RIP Paul, you got me hooked.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have owned several and still own one. The trick to Mag-na-porting is the more powerful round you fire or the quicker you shoot the more effective the porting is.

It does make it louder but that is a small price to pay for better recoil and muzzle flip managment. As far as spray never happened to me but I always shot them arms extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom