• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Citizens can buy 40 round mags and higher in VA and PA.
    Only states that outlaw it according to Sportsman's Guide are:
    NY, CA, HI, MD, NJ, and OH.
    Also South Bend, IN and Wichita, KS.

Chasenificent

Designated Collector
    Jul 28, 2011
    Hagerstown MD
    a buddy of mine claims that gun shops (in md) are supposed to take the 30 rd mags from rifles transferred...i told him that was not true. am I right?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    a buddy of mine claims that gun shops (in md) are supposed to take the 30 rd mags from rifles transferred...i told him that was not true. am I right?

Your buddy is correct. MD FFLs are required by State law to withhold mags that hold more than 20 rounds. A MD FFL can legally possess them. You can legally possess them. It is illegal for a MD FFL to give you possession of them. It is illegal for somebody to sell you them and for you to take possession of them within MD borders. It is illegal to ship them to a non-FFL within MD.

IIRC, there is an exemption for 22LR, but don't take my word for it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Your buddy is correct. MD FFLs are required by State law to withhold mags that hold more than 20 rounds. A MD FFL can legally possess them. You can legally possess them. It is illegal for a MD FFL to give you possession of them. It is illegal for somebody to sell you them and for you to take possession of them within MD borders. It is illegal to ship them to a non-FFL within MD.

IIRC, there is an exemption for 22LR, but don't take my word for it.

as for 22lr.. it is still no go in maryland unless its a built in tube type.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi cap 22 mags

as for 22lr.. it is still no go in maryland unless its a built in tube type.

Let me throw this out there,, i bought my son a GSG5 from a long time Md FFL store a few yrs ago in Md, And it came with a 22 rd stick mag ? and the other 4 mags that i bought the at the same time were also 22rd

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Let me throw this out there,, i bought my son a GSG5 from a long time Md FFL store a few yrs ago in Md, And it came with a 22 rd stick mag ? and the other 4 mags that i bought the at the same time were also 22rd

somebody broke the law.. :innocent0

or are you sure its 20rd and you just forced the 2 extra round in the mag.. ;)

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    One of the local gun shops here just donates all his high capacity magazines to the county sheriffs department.

Let me ask a different question. What is the legality of buying high capacity magazine parts and/or parts kits, or having one shipped to your home in Maryland? It was argued in another post this week that a pile of magazine parts is not considered a magazine and I can find nowhere in COMAR does it prohibit the sale of high capacity magazine parts.

So what if someone was to sell me an entire shoe box of disassembled Magpul magazines, I take them to my buddy's house in Virginia one afternoon for lunch and return home to Maryland with a dozen 30-round Magpul magazines? Would this be illegal or is it another one of those grey areas of Maryland law?

Mr BoomStick

Jan 27, 2010
    Hagerstown
    its only illegal to buy offer to buy, sell or trade a magazine within md borders, now if i just happen to leave a mag on the kitchen table and you inadvertently pick it up that's different. The mag kit is kind of a grey area. Its not readily usable in a gun but it can be made ready. I would think it would work, but its just as easy to go to a pa show and just avoid the red tape and stupid that are MD gun laws.

oupa

Apr 6, 2011
    What do the shops do with them?

Well, here's one thing they do with them.:rolleyes:
    http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10395921

Granted these are new not repurposed magazines but it was pure accident I landed on a MD. vendor with the first one in the search.:sad20:
    So I figured it'd be a good one to post. Yeah, Marylanders can sell them (delivered) outside MD. Marylander's can posess them if they happen to somehow have aquired them somehwhere.:innocent0
    It is merely illegal to sell tranfer or receive one in "the free state"...Comrade.

Oh.. BTW, .22LR magazines et al are NOT exempt. .22LR TUBULAR magazines are exempt.

If you already had the 20+ mags in your possession before they were banned then you are allowed to have those. But you can't sell or transfer them to anyone in Md.
    And you can't legally acquire them since the ban.
    The lucky people have held onto their pre ban mags. I can't remember what year the ban took effect but it was quite a while ago.
    A flintlock is exempt from the 20+ plus mag rule as I understand it. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom