• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owldo

Ultimate Member
    It's gouging for sure ... I buy C&R arms and the first thing I look at in making a decision to buy is whether magazines are readily available. Some arms had limited manufacturing and these are usually the ones that have the highest premium !

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Depends on the gun. A year back I got 6 mags for my m&p 45 for $9/mag. They're the steep price of $14 per mag now. I am looking forward to seeing how much palmetto sells their 15 rnd micro dagger(glock 43x clone) mags for.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Sure have gone up some.

cover2.jpg

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    $20 per mag (in the OP's example) isn't that much in my mind. For a semi auto the mag is one of the most important parts there is. It isn't complicated, I know, but if you want them to be 100% then the quality/reliability costs. Or, you could buy Pro-Mags or cheap clones and see how that goes.

Not saying I don't care about mag costs, I have passed on some platforms as the mags are more $$ then I want to pay, especially, if it will be a one off for me. It is a reason I stick to Berettas a lot as I'm already covered/invested in those.

As Bigfoot pointed out above, stick with 1911's, Glock, and I would add Beretta to that list for reasonably priced mags as they have been out for a long time.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    if you don't like high priced mags don't buy a 365 , they are pretty steep !

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Tooling up to stamp and weld sheet metal isn’t cheap and almost every handgun has a proprietary mag, unlike something like a 5.56 rifles, which almost all use AR pattern mags these days.

The manufacturer has to make their money somewhere, whether with cheap gun plus expensive mags or expensive gun plus cheap mags.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Which reminds me:

Anyone else hear the story about how adamant Beretta (in Italia) was, in insisting the 2000 (iirc?) have its own magazine design?

AND THEN how much effort (and exposure) it took one BerettaUSA employee to get the Italians to finally design the new gun to use Model 92 / 96 mags, after ultimately opening their eyes to (and leading them to wrap their brains around) the fact that:

American gun owners will buy a completely new model gun if that new model uses the same magazines as another gun, which American gun owners already own!

From another angle, the fact that “money savings” (in reality quite massive, due to reduced design as well as production costs) didn’t even enter the Italians’ minds until after the fact is a testament to Beretta -

- and in stark contrast to the bean counting raiders in the US (like Freedom Group) who have run once proud American gun mfrs (like Remington and Marlin and …) into the dust!

Given that most of them were high STANDARD capacity no I have to get them out of state for pickup only. But even at that their markup has got to be at least 50%.

fify …

PS - Just WHAT MAGS are we discussing here?

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Right now I'm looking at $40/mag plus shipping for a recent handgun purchase. I've seen higher, for guns still in production.

Like the man says, supply and demand.

Magazines are essential parts. If you intend to use a firearm regularly, a supply of essential parts is imperative. It's not gouging if there's a limited supply, with no likelihood of the magazine being re-introduced.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Depends on how common the gun is. Some magazines are rare or like obsolete . They will not make repros unless enough demand too. Common magazines are usually fair priced. I notice some of the higher priced are the ones for the older 22 rifles.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    More than typical supply & demand .

There is a threshold of high volume and scale of production. Think millions of guns , popular for decades.

. Hence not a joke to call out Glock/ 1911/ M92 vs everything else.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Depends on how common the gun is. Some magazines are rare or like obsolete . They will not make repros unless enough demand too. Common magazines are usually fair priced. I notice some of the higher priced are the ones for the older 22 rifles.

Paid $100 in 2019 for one 5 round Savage 22 sporter magazine. Reproductions are trash and good original ones are somewhat rare because they are easily damaged rendering them useless.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Factory mags for Kimber 82 22LR run 100-160 for a 10 round example; the 5 round factory mags are unobtanium. Aftermarket mags are seldom very good.

Original SIG P49/210 mags are sold out at $260 apiece. One optimist is offering them for $295. The new P210 mags don't work in the older guns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom