• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This is more of a process to get everyone thinking about rounding out their MAG (mutual assistance group). I've been fortunate enough to know and befriend many people both locally and globally with a wide array of skills. If I was picking out my perfect community of cohorts, what would that look like?

The reason for this question stems from a conversation I'm currently engaged in on a private Instagram group chat. It is comprised of a civilian, myself, a former scrolled Ranger, an EOD candidate and a SERE candidate. We were all discussing our selection processes and what we got out of it as well as our military time. The civie is dumb struck and stupid and doesn't get it.

So, you get to pick 12 people with special skills, SMEs, to be the only people in your group. What is their background and why did you choose them? They must be people you know but they don't have to be local. These 12 people may or may not have families of their own which can provide labor. They are your community. There is no government, no support, nothing outside of these 12 people.

The understanding is that these people, when not performing in their SME role, are putting out for this small community.

Medical Team
    1. PJ
    2.18D
    3. Homeopathically trained Pharm D or Gen. Physician (or even a SOST surgeon)

Note: Wife is an RN, lactation consultant (board certified) and LDRP charge nurse

Why this team?
    I love PJs. Golden hour, they are better than Paramedics, they are that, but more. They are adept at recovery/rescue and because they've gone through "superman school", they can be relied upon.

18D. Again, the selection process and they have a greater understanding of non-emergent care. A great backup to a PJ but take lead on day-to-day medicine with limited support.

The other physician is for when shit gets tough.

The PJ and 18D are both adept at weapons handling, security and team movements. They are multi-capable peeps.

Engineering Team
    4. Electrical/Solar Engineer
    5. Mason/Carpenter (or 18C)
    6. Plumber
    7. Blacksmith/Ferrier

Why this team?
    With a 12v power supply, a great deal of homeostasis can be achieved. Bring in a carpenter/mason and we can provide cooking, heat and even a forge if needed. The plumber is kind of redundant as, no offense, TEOTWAWKI plumbing is pretty basic. This plumber would complement the 18D or 18C who should know about water sterilization and general sanitization construction methods. A blacksmith is a person who is strong and isn't afraid of work. They can repair tools, build things and help keep the community running.

Food Team
    8. Master Gardener w/ concentration in food (actually, that's me so I'd get another choice but I'd choose a backup anyway)
    9. LDS type preservation person
    10. Food animal veterinarian
    11. Guide/trapper
    12. Primitive skills fisherman/hunter

Why this team?
    Obviously, we need food to survive. We will need both plant and animal based nutrition. We need to grow it, harvest it and put away surplus for off-season consumption. The vet adds to our medical team but will be in charge of all animal husbandry. The last two people hunt and have experience in preserving meat.

When I was at my pre-bagel, real-world job, we did lots of stuff to support things that are difficult to explain. One of our partner groups worked in South and Central America doing executive protection and recovery. The group was run by former SEALs (love them dudes) but all non-SEALs on the team were former PJs (love them even more). There's a great deal to be said for people you know and trust, who've gone through a tough selection process, who aren't going to cave on you when SHTF.

I've talked a great deal of shit on posts for many years about dudes in other branches. The fact of the matter is, I truly do respect them all. Not just Marine Recon, SEALs, USAF SW (PJs, CCT and now SR), 18 series dudes and CAG, but all my brothers and sisters who've raised that right hand and taken that oath.

The world may never devolve into a apocalyptic novel but if you had these 12 in your life, would you and your family live better? I think so.

The assumption is that all men would either have tactical training or be capable of being trained, to support and defend this community.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Your Blacksmith should be part of your Engineering Team and he/she should also know how to make their own charcoal, unless you have a coal seam in your neighborhood, and should have some farrier experience.

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster
    My only suggestion is to have more people with your listed medical skills. How many you think should be x2 or x3 of that number. In the event of needing to group together "shtf" scenario, they will be the human resource needed most. Think about even 100-150 years ago people were dying of what we see to be easily treatable now.
    Not sure how many PJs or 18D you're friends with, but it's much easier to train a Dr to shoot than the other way around. Which makes me think I need more friends. Thanks for the insight!

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    My only suggestion is to have more people with your listed medical skills. How many you think should be x2 or x3 of that number. In the event of needing to group together "shtf" scenario, they will be the human resource needed most. Think about even 100-150 years ago people were dying of what we see to be easily treatable now.
    Not sure how many PJs or 18D you're friends with, but it's much easier to train a Dr to shoot than the other way around. Which makes me think I need more friends. Thanks for the insight!
    The doctors I know are pansies. Dudes who went full-on tele-health and hid in their houses for over a year or retired.

I see more accidental injuries, trauma and medicine that needs to be practiced with limited supplies in austere conditions.

I have 170ish homes in my isolated neighborhood. If I could fill them with all the required skillsets to thrive, that would be the best option. This was just a fun little conversation I was having. Ask me who I'd like to spend TEOTWAWKI with next week, and I probably would change my mind.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    The doctors I know are pansies. Dudes who went full-on tele-health and hid in their houses for over a year or retired.

I see more accidental injuries, trauma and medicine that needs to be practiced with limited supplies in austere conditions.

I have 170ish homes in my isolated neighborhood. If I could fill them with all the required skillsets to thrive, that would be the best option. This was just a fun little conversation I was having. Ask me who I'd like to spend TEOTWAWKI with next week, and I probably would change my mind.
    Both points valid and both roles work off one another. Not sure I want a doctor taking a sniper shot and a sniper doing surgery. Have both if possible and everyone cross trained to some degree.

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster

Ok very valid point. Note to self; meet more 18D/PJs. I just spent a few months in 2 hospitals with my son and I probably only met 1 doctor who didn't seem like he'd be scared of his own shadow. Most walked around with the trans flag pins and other political statement du jour pins on their badge lanyard.

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those with medical training should have at least emergency dental knowledge.

The most common reasons for disease related death 300 years ago were ear infections, dental infections, and infected wounds. Roughly in that order if I am remembering right. The ear infections mostly got the under 5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom