• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I had just the opposite reaction there. I went fr first and only time months ago. They asked me to look at the weapons. They never touched without permission. At one point the guy was looking real strange at the Hakim and I could tell he was curious. I told him what it was and we talked about it, then invited him to put a few rounds through it. We then talked about the fact that it's 8mm Mauser and that he was selling a Mauser. He gave me the story and told me it comes with 200 rounds of PPU ammo and then told me he wants 175.00 for it all. I came home with a 25.00 Mauser and 150.00 worth of ammo. :D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I'll give you $50 for the Mauser... :)

HA.. Fat chance.. But it was this Polish Mauser..

Approx worth.. 300-400

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    RO nazis are one thing, touching a weapon when someone is downrange is unforgivable. I can put up with the attitude I've gotten from ROs at HB but putting others at risk deserves immediate intervention.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Perhaps cheap case locks might help.

Perhaps RSO's that don't ****ing pick up other people's guns, out of closed cases, without permission to do so, while the range is ****ing COLD and people are down range, is a much better option.

I guess I didn't take case locks because I didn't think any of the above would be an actual issue. Silly me, totally my fault. :sad20:

yotaboy24

Mar 12, 2009
    I've never had this happen there but the fact the idiot was doing it while the cease fire was on is ridiculous. He should not have been worried about a cased gun but instead watching the shooters making sure THEY were not touching their guns. I don't know if I'm going there again I might have to join the agc after hearing this. Not sure how I would react if I was in armed ferrets position.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Oh believe me, if there hadn't been a bunch of people there, some of whom were there with us as brand-new shooters, there would have been a LOT of deployment language being used to correct and mentor the individual.

As it was though, ******** actions by the RSO in question aside, we still had a good time.

teachin2_zps79dffff2.jpg

Bonus reaction shot in the background. :D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    His dad was really getting on my nerves. Leather jacket he kept playing with the lapels on, duckfaced CONSTANTLY when he thought someone was looking at him, and generally acted like he was on Jersey Shore (the "spends too much time in the tanning booth" orange glow didn't help).

Best part was after his kid (16 at most) was told that carrying wasn't permitted (he was wearing a dropleg with a pistol in it), the dad said "don't let some retired loser boss you around."

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Join the AGC, no problems, if you would like a tour or would like to shoot as my guest PM me.

That's funny because I quite AGC because of a** H*** ROs. I go to hap baker now. That is an unfortunate incident which would certainly get me hot
    I liken that to the guy pulling my zipper down and yanking the hose out. If it happens again, ask home to squeeze the butt and fondle the magwell LOL

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I had just the opposite reaction there. I went fr first and only time months ago. They asked me to look at the weapons. They never touched without permission. At one point the guy was looking real strange at the Hakim and I could tell he was curious. I told him what it was and we talked about it, then invited him to put a few rounds through it. We then talked about the fact that it's 8mm Mauser and that he was selling a Mauser. He gave me the story and told me it comes with 200 rounds of PPU ammo and then told me he wants 175.00 for it all. I came home with a 25.00 Mauser and 150.00 worth of ammo. :D

Every dog finds a bone once in awhile! :thumbsup: Love it when stuff like that happens.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Cold range, yup.

Thankfully, rule #1 is basically whatever the RSO's say, is the law, no matter what.....so if they decide the rest of the rules don't apply to them, like no handling firearms when range is cold, then it's okay.

That's the only thought process I can imagine leading to a scenario as I witnessed today.

RSO's Must set the example. Written rules must be followed by everyone on the range. Even RSO's! The written range rules are written by the range's governing body for the standard operation of that range. This insures that everyone is on the same page. When people make rules as they go and do not have the written rules changed, safety becomes jeopardized.

A RSO that does not follow the written range rules needs to find another job!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    apparently someone took a gun out of a case "one time" and there was a magazine inserted and a round chambered, so now they feel it's appropriate to inspect closed and latched-shut cases, pull out guns (HANDLING THEM AFTER RANGE IS CALLED COLD), and "inspect" them.

without even asking fcking permission.

the rest of the time they were EXTREMELY polite and professional, and i saw them helping many many people. but if you feel the need to look in a case, or at a firearm, ask the owner to open it or whatever. twice i didn't even notice until i'd gotten back from being downrange, and saw them putting one that wasn't being fired (which is why it was still cased) back in the case.

inexcusable. ****ING PERIOD.

Wait! They were handling firearms on the firing line while you and others were down range! There is no excuse for that blatant safety violation and the RSO should be removed from his position immediately!

Cold range, yup.

Thankfully, rule #1 is basically whatever the RSO's say, is the law, no matter what.....so if they decide the rest of the rules don't apply to them, like no handling firearms when range is cold, then it's okay.

That's the only thought process I can imagine leading to a scenario as I witnessed today.

********! An RSO MUST set the example. Make some calls and alert management. Did you get the guys name?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    apparently someone took a gun out of a case "one time" and there was a magazine inserted and a round chambered, so now they feel it's appropriate to inspect closed and latched-shut cases, pull out guns (HANDLING THEM AFTER RANGE IS CALLED COLD), and "inspect" them.

Let's see. You are worried someone might have brought a cased firearm that is loaded with a round chambered.

So you HANDLE THE FIREARM ON A COLD RANGE. That is f'd up BIG time.

And BTW, you handle any of my firearms without my permission, YOU ARE NOW RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.

I am SURE the owner wants that to be the case.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Armedferret, sounds like you did everything right, including being very patient with the RSO at the time. Best to let most things slide initially, unless it is a genuine safety issue at that very moment. After the fact is the best time to address technical issues or policy.

Some ranges have an admin area where no ammo is allowed, this is where people can safely inspect, disassemble, clean, fix, whatever. I don't know of anyplace it's ok to handle firearms with people down range. An RSO should know better, and this is inexcusable. Not reporting it makes the witnesses also culpable.

I didn't know Hap was a county range, this complicates things but only a little. Might be more difficult to find the right responsible people to address these issues with; but worth your effort - for all of us. People get complacent, and maybe checking people's guns so often as a matter of policy/automatic procedure made the RSO think it was ok; it's not, you are certainly right.

If the RSO is overstepping his authority, or committing a safety violation, or just a prick; these are all different issues with different approaches to resolve. I hope you follow up and continue to do the right thing to make that range safer and a more enjoyable place to shoot. Good idea to lock the case, maybe a little sticker that says private property. The practice of opening and inspecting firearms without the owners permission is bad on many levels for everyone, including the RSO. For example, an unscrupulous person that knew this was happening might deliberately put a broken firearm in their case, and simply allow an unwitting, well intended RSO, who was just following policy, open his case and handle the gun without his permission. Once the RSO had the broken gun in his hands, make a big stink and accuse the RSO of breaking it. We don't want this sort of thing to happen to anyone. We should not tolerate genuine unsafe acts, liars or thieves.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Who was it.

Exactly, which RSO was it? If this was on a Sunday then Bill was probably there and he is the RSO in charge. Did you speak to him about it? If he was there and you didn't speak to him, why not? I have never had them look in any case at any time. They have also never touched a firearm of mine unless I offered it to them to shoot. Many times if the open chamber was facing the wrong way when they did their cold range checks, they have asked me to turn it the other way. Bill usually just points to it with a "flip it around" motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom